Reninder: Recruiting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Reninder: Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Showing here & slamming kids on the Day they committed to the University of Connecticut is disrespectful *t garbage. You puked all over.

it’s disrespectful for that athlete & his family. It is disrespectful to the Fanbase - who frankly don’t need you to remind us about the 2-10 season or the 5 wins in three years.

Desmond Fogle - from my view - committed a long time ago. It’s not fair to say he only had offers from Campbell & Savannah State. And ... it’s probably true that UConn coaches told him to be on the down low. He probably didn’t answer his phones nor had his HC promote him

Boneyard Guys need to crow about how important they are.

why would UConn coaches tell a recruit to be on the down low? Most schools want their recruits to tell other top recruits why going to their school is a great decision. The best recruiters are often the players who have already committed to a school.

Reaction Score
why would UConn coaches tell a recruit to be on the down low? Most schools want their recruits to tell other top recruits why going to their school is a great decision. The best recruiters are often the players who have already committed to a school.

That belief is part of the UConn exceptionalism that the Ride or Die Randy types buy into.

can you really see a kid agreeing to keep his commitment quiet to preclude any additional offers? Why would someone act in a way that is not in their best interest.

It’s BS.

Reaction Score
The Big East teams were regularly last in recruiting rankings. It’s not like he didn’t recruit Stephan Diggs. They recruit what they can realistically get. Past identity has been toughness, hard hitting and speed. Better than wasting time on Mincah Fitzpatrick then filling with slow 6’5 230lbs. nice guys.

He 100% did not recruit Stephon Diggs. Mike Locksley did.

Reaction Score
He 100% did not recruit Stephon Diggs. Mike Locksley did.

But as everyone knows -> mom made the call...

Reaction Score

Sorry. There are a number of stories like this over time. Do I think it is unique to UCONN & Randy Edsall ... no.

Reaction Score
Sorry. There are a number of stories like this over time. Do I think it is unique to UCONN & Randy Edsall ... no.

so Randy gets a commitment from a player and tells him not to tell anyone? Why do you think schools like Michigan, Alabama and Notre Dame announce it when they get a commitment from a top player? It seems like a way to get other top players on board. It seems to be a strange approach to keep commitments from a top recruit secret.

Reaction Score
so Randy gets a commitment from a player and tells him not to tell anyone? Why do you think schools like Michigan, Alabama and Notre Dame announce it when they get a commitment from a top player? It seems like a way to get other top players on board. It seems to be a strange approach to keep commitments from a top recruit secret.

I know this is hard for you - because you’re so self possessed. And a Pump me Up Irishfan

first. I don’t think Randy necessarily tells the kid what to do. I know not promoting is common in my work. second. This is school. So the offer may contingent on meeting certain requirements. Or other physical attributes. third. Some kids are simply not interested in the recruiting other kids. They tell HCRE that they’re in & they go finish their HS career. That’s it.

In the last 15 years, have we seen this. Absolutely. Not every kid is desirous of spouting on Twitter. There’s the noise about a kid at Shelton HS with Ohio State & Pitt offers. Who knew?

Reaction Score
10 years of recruiting badly will surely pay off soon, right?

This is what people are arguing against. Edsall has not yet closed the ink on his third class. The two classes that he recruited (as opposed to those players whom he found in 1 month after being hired) were in their first and second years in the program this year. No sane person thought we could win at UConn with first and second year players.

If you are going to blame Edsall for the ten years of sucking, then you're going to blame his replacement for it as well and we should give up now. I feel for anyone who just can't come any more because it's too much of a time and money investment. Don't come. I won't blame you. But not just our team but our program sucks at the moment, and there is not a quick fix out there. It may be that Edsall won't ever fix it. Which is why I'm not fighting any fire Edsall movements. But if we fire him we are still needing to get through a rebuilding process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know this is hard for you - because you’re so self possessed. And a Pump me Up Irishfan

first. I don’t think Randy necessarily tells the kid what to do. I know not promoting is common in my work. second. This is school. So the offer may contingent on meeting certain requirements. Or other physical attributes. third. Some kids are simply not interested in the recruiting other kids. They tell HCRE that they’re in & they go finish their HS career. That’s it.

In the last 15 years, have we seen this. Absolutely. Not every kid is desirous of spouting on Twitter. There’s the noise about a kid at Shelton HS with Ohio State & Pitt offers. Who knew?

it was your post that stated that the UConn coaches probably told the player to be on the down low with respect to his commitment to Uconn. My point is that it is an approach that seems to be self defeating. Why make it a secret that you have a commitment from a good player. And although it might be hard for you to believe, every school notifies their recruits that every offer and commitment is contingent of the candidates ability to pass through the admissions process at the school.

Reaction Score
There is no logical reason for a recruit to hide his commitment unless his commitment is soft and then it’s not actually a commitment...

This is a dumb concept to peddle. It’s like the people who used to say that a bunch of 4 stars would materialize for us on signing day.

Reaction Score
it was your post that stated that the UConn coaches probably told the player to be on the down low with respect to his commitment to Uconn. My point is that it is an approach that seems to be self defeating. Why make it a secret that you have a commitment from a good player. And although it might be hard for you to believe, every school notifies their recruits that every offer and commitment is contingent of the candidates ability to pass through the admissions process at the school.

You’ve taken a scenario & ran with it. I’m telling you that there are other explanations.

I’ve believed Fogel had an Offer & accepted for months. And he disappeared from view ... just played his HS games.

It can be just that Simple

Reaction Score
You’ve taken a scenario & ran with it. I’m telling you that there are other explanations.

I’ve believed Fogel had an Offer & accepted for months. And he disappeared from view ... just played his HS games.

It’s not.

Accepting an offer does not make you invisible, it’s actually the opposite.

Reaction Score
It’s not.

Accepting an offer does not make you invisible, it’s actually the opposite.

Forget it. I have watched you in MLS debates ... YOU CAN go weeks on a topic.

Reaction Score

the easiest way to disappear from view is to commit to a school, and make a firm statement to that effect. The worst way to disappear from view is to continue to play your HS games, and never mention that you have made a commitment to a school. If, as you suspect, the coaching staff asked him to keep his commitment quiet, it would raise some questions as to why they would want him to keep it a secret.

Reaction Score
the easiest way to disappear from view is to commit to a school, and make a firm statement to that effect. The worst way to disappear from view is to continue to play your HS games, and never mention that you have made a commitment to a school. If, as you suspect, the coaching staff asked him to keep his commitment quiet, it would raise some questions as to why they would want him to keep it a secret.

You are a dog with a bone.

I am telling you: kids do accept offers and just not promote. I believe Fogel is one. I don't know why. If the FBS world kept calling, he might tell them "NO ... I am committed, Thanks for your interest". Another kid might think it is cool to try to get 15 Offers.

I am not changing my mind: Not all information in Recruiting is on the recruiting sites or on Twitter.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I am telling you: kids do accept offers and just not promote. I believe Fogel is one. I don't know why. If the FBS world kept calling, he might tell them "NO ... I am committed, Thanks for your interest". Another kid might think it is cool to try to get 15 Offers.

I am not changing my mind: Not all information in Recruiting is on the recruiting sites or on Twitter.

Your own fantasies may be enough to convince you. They aren’t for the rest of us.

Reaction Score

and in this instance, you are a dog without a bone. Your argument makes no sense on many levels. But if thinking Randy has dozens of “secret commits” helps you sleep at night, go for it.

Reaction Score

Yeah, kids are really modest on social media these days.

Reaction Score
One kid could be modest. Apparently that doesn't fit your view of the world. Twitter tells all

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One kid could be modest. Apparently that doesn't fit your view of the world. Twitter tells all

All we know is that your view of the world is not moored in reality.

Reaction Score

One kid? I thought you said this was a widespread and common practice?

Reaction Score

the only reason to do this would be an attempt to mislead prospects looking to commit to UConn. If a quarterback is considering an offer from UConn, it might depend on whether UConn has any other quarterbacks committed. By keeping the incoming class secret, you can probably trick one or two guys to sign on, with them not knowing how much competition there will be. While probably not against the rules, it may seem a bit shady to someone who commits without knowing who he will be competing with.

Reaction Score
There is ONLY one thing that matters. For all your derisive comments about the kid ... How he performs on the Field for the University of Connecticut.

This LB - and we did look at a ton of LBS - is the one the Staff wanted. That was obvious in the Spring. I think we are done here. Lawrence Wilson turned out ok with none of the dozen offers too. There is something about the # of Offers that strikes me as not indicative of what we read nor what his HS coach states. This was our top choice at this Position.

BTW ... ZooCougar will argue a MLS issue for years.

Reaction Score
There is ONLY one thing that matters. For all your derisive comments about the kid ... How he performs on the Field for the University of Connecticut.

This LB - and we did look at a ton of LBS - is the one the Staff wanted. That was obvious in the Spring. I think we are done here. Lawrence Wilson turned out ok with none of the dozen offers too. There is something about the # of Offers that strikes me as not indicative of what we read nor what his HS coach states. This was our top choice at this Position.

BTW ... ZooCougar will argue a MLS issue for years.

there actually is another issue that you brought up. Did the coaches tell this recruit notto mention the fact that he committed to UConn. And if they did, why?

Reaction Score
there actually is another issue that you brought up. Did the coaches tell this recruit notto mention the fact that he committed to UConn. And if they did, why?

frankly ... I don't care.

The Facts are clear. We chased him early in the Spring; tracked him & visited him often; he might have committed this past weekend or ... most likely ... late Summer or early Fall. We did not have a lot of other prospects at the position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom