• South Dakota/Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here we go:

Greensboro Regional:
1. South Carolina vs. 5. North Carolina. SC should win this game but UNC is probably their toughest obstacle pre-Final Four. UNC is solid defensively, rebounds well and capable of pulling off upsets. I think SC does its thing and gets a solid lead and rides it to a comfortable win despite the margin of victory not being massive. 59-50 SC.

3. Iowa State vs. 10. Creighton. Creighton won an epic game vs. Iowa to earn their spot in the Sweet 16, but I think their Cinderella story ends here. Look for Joens to have a statement game. Iowa State wins 69-52.

Spokane Regional:
1. Stanford vs. 4. Maryland. This is maybe the most intriguing matchup IMO, as both teams are loaded with talent and Maryland seems to finally be clicking. Diamond Miller and Ashley Owusu are playing their best basketball of the season right now and along with Angel Reese, they make up an insanely talented big 3 for Maryland. I could absolutely see Maryland pulling this off, but they've been so inconsistent this year I have to stick with Stanford in a hard fought 73-66 game.

2. Texas vs. 6. Ohio State. Another compelling matchup. Texas is one of the hottest teams in the country right now and Ohio State has one of the best backcourts in the nation. I think Texas probably holds on here but I expect Ohio State to make it competitive. 75-66 Texas.

Greensboro Regional:
1. NC State vs. 5. Notre Dame. Another very compelling game. Notre Dame is maybe the tournament's biggest wild card right now--a few weeks ago they were down 41-3 vs. Louisville, and then this weekend they were up 60-25 over Oklahoma at halftime. They beat NC State earlier this year, but NC State is a much steadier team and is looking like a legitimate title contender. I think NC State takes this round 76-63.

2. UCONN vs. 3. Indiana. Another contender for most intriguing game. Both teams have had ups and downs this year, dealt with injuries and almost lost at home to a double digit seed in the 2nd round but were able to eek by. I think this one is going to be a barn burner--UCONN has more talent but still seems unsettled with so many lineup changes this year and Bueckers clearly isn't 100%. Indiana has a savviness about them and Berger is playing really well, but I think the home crowd gives UCONN the slight edge it needs and they win 67-64.

Wichita Regional:
1. Louisville vs. 4. Tennessee. Louisville is playing well right now and Hailey Van Lith appears motivated after a disappointing ACC tournament. Tennessee somehow hobbled into the Sweet 16 after almost losing at home to Belmont. I don't think Tennessee generates enough offense and Louisville wins rather easily, 70-53.

3. Michigan vs 10. South Dakota. South Dakota pulled off arguably the upset of the tournament so far, but a focused Michigan team is not an easy task. Sjerven vs. Hillmon will be a fantastic matchup down low. I think Michigan's rebounding and having a great wing in Brown give them the edge. Michigan 77-60.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
@bballnut90 made an excellent post that I couldn't possibly top so I'm not going to even try!

For me, the most intriguing regional matchups are...

1) UCONN/Indiana

2) NC State/Notre Dame

3) South Carolina/UNC

4) Stanford/Maryland

5) South Dakota/Michigan

Reaction Score
Here we go:

Greensboro Regional:
1. South Carolina vs. 5. North Carolina. SC should win this game but UNC is probably their toughest obstacle pre-Final Four. UNC is solid defensively, rebounds well and capable of pulling off upsets. I think SC does its thing and gets a solid lead and rides it to a comfortable win despite the margin of victory not being massive. 59-50 SC.

3. Iowa State vs. 10. Creighton. Creighton won an epic game vs. Iowa to earn their spot in the Sweet 16, but I think their Cinderella story ends here. Look for Joens to have a statement game. Iowa State wins 69-52.

Spokane Regional:
1. Stanford vs. 4. Maryland. This is maybe the most intriguing matchup IMO, as both teams are loaded with talent and Maryland seems to finally be clicking. Diamond Miller and Ashley Owusu are playing their best basketball of the season right now and along with Angel Reese, they make up an insanely talented big 3 for Maryland. I could absolutely see Maryland pulling this off, but they've been so inconsistent this year I have to stick with Stanford in a hard fought 73-66 game.

2. Texas vs. 6. Ohio State. Another compelling matchup. Texas is one of the hottest teams in the country right now and Ohio State has one of the best backcourts in the nation. I think Texas probably holds on here but I expect Ohio State to make it competitive. 75-66 Texas.

Greensboro Regional:
1. NC State vs. 5. Notre Dame. Another very compelling game. Notre Dame is maybe the tournament's biggest wild card right now--a few weeks ago they were down 41-3 vs. Louisville, and then this weekend they were up 60-25 over Oklahoma at halftime. They beat NC State earlier this year, but NC State is a much steadier team and is looking like a legitimate title contender. I think NC State takes this round 76-63.

2. UCONN vs. 3. Indiana. Another contender for most intriguing game. Both teams have had ups and downs this year, dealt with injuries and almost lost at home to a double digit seed in the 2nd round but were able to eek by. I think this one is going to be a barn burner--UCONN has more talent but still seems unsettled with so many lineup changes this year and Bueckers clearly isn't 100%. Indiana has a savviness about them and Berger is playing really well, but I think the home crowd gives UCONN the slight edge it needs and they win 67-64.

Wichita Regional:
1. Louisville vs. 4. Tennessee. Louisville is playing well right now and Hailey Van Lith appears motivated after a disappointing ACC tournament. Tennessee somehow hobbled into the Sweet 16 after almost losing at home to Belmont. I don't think Tennessee generates enough offense and Louisville wins rather easily, 70-53.

3. Michigan vs 10. South Dakota. South Dakota pulled off arguably the upset of the tournament so far, but a focused Michigan team is not an easy task. Sjerven vs. Hillmon will be a fantastic matchup down low. I think Michigan's rebounding and having a great wing in Brown give them the edge. Michigan 77-60.
I like all your picks but, give me South Dakota in the upset over Michigan.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't think he picked any upsets. In any of the 8 games. That wouldn't shock me, to be honest, but I think there will be one. I don't know which one, but one.
I'm guessing there will be at least 1-2 but I wasn't bold enough to predict specifics. My guess is 1 of Michigan, UCONN, Stanford and NC State go down. Michigan/UCONN could be upset due to lack of consistency, Stanford/NC State due to playing volatile teams.

Reaction Score
Here we go:

Greensboro Regional:

Spokane Regional:

Greensboro Regional:

Wichita Regional:

Great job on the analysis. I have as following:

South Carolina
Iowa State
Stanford
Texas
NC State
UConn
Louisville
Michigan

If this holds, I have upsets in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
going with Ohio st over Texas as my upset, team looks locked in.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I actually think Maryland could beat Stanford. That’s the toughest matchup for a #1 seed this weekend.
Me too. This was why I've said all along I thought our bracket was the hardest of the one seeds, other than maybe NC State (because they play UConn in Bridgeport). Maryland and Texas back to back is brutal not only because each team is good, but because they run night and day different styles. I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if get to walk out of Spokane with a regional trophy.

Reaction Score
Me too. This was why I've said all along I thought our bracket was the hardest of the one seeds, other than maybe NC State (because they play UConn in Bridgeport). Maryland and Texas back to back is brutal not only because each team is good, but because they run night and day different styles. I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if get to walk out of Spokane with a regional trophy.

Come on now you KNOW the goat game planner Tara will have something up her sleeve. This is my favorite matchup of the weekend. With Miller playing well now how will Stanford guard Maryland? Jones and Hull had 15&13-15&8 last time they played but Owusu scored 30 and Reese barely played. With Miller out there now how does Stanford stop those three talented played is what I’m most interested in seeing.

Reaction Score
Another board pointed out that Stanford’s last close game was vs. UW, which is coached by a former Maryland assistant under Brenda and close friend.

Was that just an off game for the Cardinal or did UW do anything different?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Another board pointed out that Stanford’s last close game was vs. UW, which is coached by a former Maryland assistant under Brenda and close friend.

Was that just an off game for the Cardinal or did UW do anything different?
It was a very off game for the Cardinal. It felt like a bit of a trap game - we'd just come back from a Friday/Sunday visit for two close games at the Oregon schools, and then had to turn around for a Thurs tilt vs. a very motivated WSU team hungry for their first win against us to solidify an NCAA bid and finish second in the conference, and then we had an early Saturday game versus a UW team that had oddly caught fire in the last few games. UW shot over 50% for the first half and we shot around 30%, but we corrected in the second half enough to pull through. Mostly just felt like a tired team that had a hard time getting hyped to play one of the worst teams in the conference at noon on a Saturday - didn't really notice anything about their schemes or defense that was majorly throwing us off.

Plus as @Plebe always likes to say, there are no days off, no easy matchups, no gimmes in the brutal, brutal P5 PAC-12 conference. ;)

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I have 3 upset alerts on my radar:
1. Maryland vs. Stanford
2. Creighton vs. Iowas State
3. South Dakota vs. Michigan

Heck all the games are interesting.

raw

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, @southie I am curious about your take on the Texas-OSU game. Texas can struggle offensively and OSU can score in oodles. Yet OSU can struggle guarding a chair and Texas can be very frustrating on D.

If Mikesell is hitting her 3s and Jayce Sheldon can penetrate then I think Texas is in for trouble but if either of those 2 fail for OSU, then Texas wins. What say you and the BY?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mikesell can't really guard anyone with quicks but LSU couldn't take advantage. If Texas doesn't shoot well from deep (will OSU's length affect Matharu???) the Buckeyes have a great shot.

Reaction Score
Much fanfare has been made about NC State’s relegation to the Bridgeport Region, but if any team has a bone to pick about their path to the Final Four it’s probably Stanford.

Maryland and Texas are both seeded correctly based on their resumes, but they’re two of the best teams in the country at playing their respective styles. Maryland can be an offensive juggernaut and Texas has a SC/UCF kind of defense. If Stanford gets by both, I do think they’ll win it all again, simply because if they’re well-rounded enough to win consecutive games played at two different extremes (for the record, I believe they are), it’s hard to fathom them running into a team who can play both O + D to the same level.

Of course, we’ve got two games to play in Spokane before we get there. I’d be surprised if Texas falls to OSU. Ohio State hasn’t necessarily overachieved to get here (I think they were underseeded at 6; I understand the 4-line was congested but they should have been a high 5), but to me this is about where their road should end. Texas has probably been undersold a bit offensively based on how they’ve played of late. Should still be a good game, though, and I don’t anticipate a blowout. A worse Texas team beat a better Maryland team in this game last year (although Texas also crumbled two days later to a Gamecocks squad not known for explosive offense).

Stanford/Maryland is intriguing as well, but Stanford is just so deep and versatile that I have to lean towards The Card. With that said, Maryland has been hyperfocused on avenging last year’s Sweet 16 exit and this matchup will look different with Benzan and Miller available.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have 3 upset alerts on my radar:
1. Maryland vs. Stanford
2. Creighton vs. Iowas State
3. South Dakota vs. Michigan

Heck all the games are interesting.
Fer sure. No snark.

Reaction Score
I think Indiana is the underdog in their matchup with UCONN? If so, this is my upset pick. Indiana is just the kind of experienced team that can give UCONN fits. I know Indiana hasn't played great in their last few games, but Indiana's experienced lineup and toughness has me thinking upset.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Indiana is the underdog in their matchup with UCONN? If so, this is my upset pick. Indiana is just the kind of experienced team that can give UCONN fits. I know Indiana hasn't played great in their last few games, but Indiana's experienced lineup and toughness has me thinking upset.

Could you imagine a Indiana-State matchup on Monday night in front of 254 fans in Bridgeport?? :eek:

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling that, contrary to most folks expectations, Maryland is going to have
one of its "off" nights, and Stanford will win in a 20+ romp.

Reaction Score
I actually think Maryland could beat Stanford. That’s the toughest matchup for a #1 seed this weekend.
I agree, SCspur. If Stanford makes the Final Four, much as I'd be rooting for the Huskies, I believe the Cardinal will win it all again. However, I could see Maryland taking Tara and Co. down this week.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, @southie I am curious about your take on the Texas-OSU game. Texas can struggle offensively and OSU can score in oodles. Yet OSU can struggle guarding a chair and Texas can be very frustrating on D.

If Mikesell is hitting her 3s and Jayce Sheldon can penetrate then I think Texas is in for trouble but if either of those 2 fail for OSU, then Texas wins. What say you and the BY?
Not that it impacts the game itself in any way, but I am the most confident I've been on Texas' chances now than at any point this season. Not sure anyone would disagree that Texas is playing its best basketball both offensively and defensively; not perfect, but its best. While we can struggle offensively and go on scoring droughts, that hasn't happened very often recently. We did have some offensive lulls in the Big 12 tourney against KSU and ISU, but worked to overcome those.

Senior, Joanne Allen-Taylor has guarded some of the best long-range shooters/players in the Big 12 like Taylor Robertson of Oklahoma and Donarski/Joens from Iowa State with great success. Fairfield and Utah had some good long-range shooters last weekend. I think she's very well prepared to guard Mikesell. Rori Harmon will guard Sheldon baseline to baseline as she brings the ball up the court; we'll see if that wears her down and affects her offensive game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom