Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
FWIW, I was watching Kimani on IG Live last night with some random NYC hoops guy and they were discussing the current transfer landscape. Kimani made it explicitly clear that UConn’s roster building vision is laser-focused on high-end high school talent, and they will not build their program on transfers as many other programs do in an attempt to “get old fast”. That said, Kimani mentioned that they will look to transfers to plug into very specific roles, and that RJ/Rese were exceptions that they knew would fit the culture of the program.
Also, grad transfers can help you continue to pursue top high school talent in subsequent years by not plugging up your roster with the best 4 year players still available late in the cycle

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And yet look how much value they have added.
The transfer market has evolved where you can now land immediate impact players.

Which transfers were more than role players on championship teams?

We aren't Seton Hall or any of the other mid pack programs. The recruiting fever over transfers doesn't match their impact at the top end.

If Cole and Martin cut down the nets or make a real run at it, I'll reevaluate the position.

Reaction Score
How does it scare off a recruit to bring in a grad transfer with one year of eligibility? They won't be on the team by the time any recruit arrives.
We have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next season. All have NBA potential but need to make huge strides to get there. They need 8-20 minutes a game to develop as freshmen. I'm not opposed to transfers but this is part of the equation - I'm sure the staff is taking it into account.

Reaction Score

We aren't Seton Hall or any of the other mid pack programs. The recruiting fever over transfers doesn't match their impact at the top end.

If Cole and Martin cut down the nets or make a real run at it, I'll reevaluate the position.
What is your point? Only superstars matter in college basketball? Only superstar transfers matter if they win a national championship.

Cole and Martin are a huge part of our team. Transfers are a huge part of Gonzaga and some other top teams. Lasan Kromah made a couple of huge plays down the stretch in our last national championship game and score our final 2 points.

Reaction Score

Braxton Key led Virginia in rebounding on the most recent championship team, but he was still mostly a roleplayer. He started almost every game for them the following year, though.

Reaction Score
Hurley recently said that he took Cole and Martin as transfers because he knew them well, especially their character. Said something about when building a culture you need to know the players you're getting very well. We'll see if he sticks with that if he takes more transfers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next season. All have NBA potential but need to make huge strides to get there. They need 8-20 minutes a game to develop as freshmen. I'm not opposed to transfers but this is part of the equation - I'm sure the staff is taking it into account.

We aren’t going to play all three 8-20 minutes a game. No chance. Hawkins yes, because he fills a need. Johnson‘s minutes will depend on what we get from Akok. Diggins (who is too small for NBA) isn’t likely to play much until Cole graduates.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

High volume shooter from the wing and high level finisher at the rim. Kind of a black hole and doesn't get to the line, but has 2 years left. Midwest kid, but played on the east coast in college. Also a lefty, for what that is worth.

me likey

Reaction Score
We aren’t going to play all three 8-20 minutes a game. No chance. Hawkins yes, because he fills a need. Johnson‘s minutes will depend on what we get from Akok. Diggins (who is too small for NBA) isn’t likely to play much until Cole graduates.

Will be an interesting battle at the PG spot next year.

Gaffney hasn't shown much at all, but he also hasn't had a real offseason. If he shoots like he did in hs and is aggressive, he is potentially the best scorer of the bunch.

Cole is obviously #1 right now but plays better off ball. He could play with another PG easily on the offensive end. Defense is less sure of a thing. Depends on the matchup. Going small with him and Diggins passing the rock could be deadly vs some opponents.

Diggins is the best passer and game manager already. He's also a question mark shooting it though.

My guess? Cole starts every game but Diggins has the backup role by the middle of January. I'm not quite sure Gaff has what it takes mentally. A good offseason for all 3 could change thing all completely though.

Reaction Score

Johnson's minutes will depend a lot on if we recruit a big this offseason as a transfer or a grad. He may be our first option as a backup Center unless Springs shows something new.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Guys, to be clear, what Kimani said was NOT in the context of the 2021-2022 UConn roster. He was speaking generally that UConn’s core recruiting focus is bringing guys in out of high school, as opposed to some programs who have set out to “get old fast” by way of third and fourth year players in the transfer portal. It was not some anti-transfer rant, but simply an explanation of how UConn sets out to build their roster (culture-building seems like a big part of the reasoning). We all know that the staff is recruiting/offering players in the portal because we do have specific needs right now. But the year-over-year focus will always be on high-end high schoolers. That’s all I’ll say because I don’t want anything else to get lost in translation and reflect poorly on Kimani.

Reaction Score
Will be an interesting battle at the PG spot next year.

Gaffney hasn't shown much at all, but he also hasn't had a real offseason. If he shoots like he did in hs and is aggressive, he is potentially the best scorer of the bunch.

Cole is obviously #1 right now but plays better off ball. He could play with another PG easily on the offensive end. Defense is less sure of a thing. Depends on the matchup. Going small with him and Diggins passing the rock could be deadly vs some opponents.

Diggins is the best passer and game manager already. He's also a question mark shooting it though.

My guess? Cole starts every game but Diggins has the backup role by the middle of January. I'm not quite sure Gaff has what it takes mentally. A good offseason for all 3 could change thing all completely though.
I disagree on Cole being better off the ball, he was earlier in the year but I think he's shown to be a very good point guard now that he's comfortable. Gaffney is better off the ball, I see him getting most of his minutes as the 2 next year and Diggind as Cole's backup. I think both Gaffney and Diggins will be able to share the backcourt with Cole and be effective. It will be nice having no worries about handling it in the backcourt with Cole, Jackson, Diggins, Gaffney.

Reaction Score
"No chance"

"too small for NBA"

Let's just say I'm glad you're not on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Come on! Dr. Johnnie Selvie! A JUCO no less. And that Maryland team was stacked. Lonny Baxter was a beast and just a little too much for Okafor and Butler.

UConn vs. Maryland - Game Recap - March 24, 2002 - ESPN

2. Johnnie Selvie: “It’s Johnnie Time!” Selvie was the national Junior College Player of the Year at Southeastern Community College in Iowa before arriving in Storrs in 2000. Always entertaining, often productive, he found himself in legal trouble after graduation. But Selvie averaged 11.4 points and 6.0 rebounds per game for a 2001-02 team that lost to Maryland in the Elite Eight. “We had a chance to get to the Final Four with Caron (Butler) and those guys,” Calhoun recalled. “(Selvie) was pretty close to the most impactful for that particular year.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"No chance"

"too small for NBA"

Let's just say I'm glad you're not on the coaching staff.

Indeed. Most top 100 recruits don’t make the NBA. Every staff has to downplay that. The odds of a short PG doing that are slim. As for no chance, it’s clear that Hurley doesn’t trust freshmen until they get some experience and earn it, especially on defense.

This board has talked up every recruit we’ve had as the next great [insert name]. More often than not, we’ve had to temper our expectations, especially early in their careers. All three look like nice players. Hawkins has a natural role to fill with Bouk and Polley leaving. Still think Martin and Jackson play more minutes, especially before January. Gaff needs minutes off the ball too and will be a Junior. Akok will be a Junior, I doubt Johnson is better next season. Remember, Akok was starting before Bouk. If we don’t get another big, Johnson will need to play a fair amount as @husky429 said. Diggins finds himself 3rd on the PG depth chart, and possibly 4th. Hurley didn’t mention Andre getting drafted as a PG because he doesn’t think Andre is going to play some PG for us. Diggins may get that 8 mpg but Cole is going to play a lot.

Reaction Score
there was a thread last month about about aj bramah -- apparently the staff has reached out. 6'7" forward. not really a shooter, though.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Most top 100 recruits don’t make the NBA. Every staff has to downplay that. The odds of a short PG doing that are slim. As for no chance, it’s clear that Hurley doesn’t trust freshmen until they get some experience and earn it, especially on defense.

This board has talked up every recruit we’ve had as the next great [insert name]. More often than not, we’ve had to temper our expectations, especially early in their careers. All three look like nice players. Hawkins has a natural role to fill with Bouk and Polley leaving. Still think Martin and Jackson play more minutes, especially before January. Gaff needs minutes off the ball too and will be a Junior. Akok will be a Junior, I doubt Johnson is better next season. Remember, Akok was starting before Bouk. If we don’t get another big, Johnson will need to play a fair amount as @husky429 said. Diggins finds himself 3rd on the PG depth chart, and possibly 4th. Hurley didn’t mention Andre getting drafted as a PG because he doesn’t think Andre is going to play some PG for us. Diggins may get that 8 mpg but Cole is going to play a lot.
You unequivocally said he won't play in the NBA because he's too small. I have no clue if he'll ever play in the NBA but 6'2 certainly isn't too small to play in the NBA as a point guard.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have nothing against the transfer market especially when you have a few schollys left and you are heading into April.
I would rather get a pure shooter from the HS ranks if the only ones available (xfers) are from lower tiered D1/D2 programs. A shooter is a shooter and you may be able to develop an incoming freshman over the 4 year period to be a good defender etc. There's a ton of awesome snipers in the midwest etc.
A big 4/5 xfer is always serviceable and could be very handy next year if Whalley doesn't return.
Coles was a good pick-up after a rocky start but don't think PG is a priority next year so no need to look at another
Having 3 schollys left may be great or a conundrum

Reaction Score
You unequivocally said he won't play in the NBA because he's too small. I have no clue if he'll ever play in the NBA but 6'2 certainly isn't too small to play in the NBA as a point guard.
Agreed. AJ Price is a good comparison here. 6’2” and ended up playing 6 years in the league.

Reaction Score

Agreed. The too small thing was puzzling for me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocked if Gaffney is the first guard off the bench next year, but primarily as Jacksons backup at the 2. I think we get too caught up in positions when we think about future rotations. If Cole gets in early foul trouble, I doubt we put in Diggins first, assuming Gaffney has earned a higher spot in the rotation. The only exception might be centers, cause you can't just play anyone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom