Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Read the tea leaves on Clingan.
whichever big hurley brings in next season will assist in further divining the tea leaves. imo our best options are already on the team in whaley or carlton. would prefer a strecth 4 to carlton but would have to be a grad transfer

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Athleticism seems like the last thing we need though, only thing next year's team looks like it needs is some outside shooting and a 1 year rental big could help.
We have flexibility to roll the dice. We’ll have at least 3, possibly 4, scholarships. Besides depth no huge need areas. We can bring in a shooter/scorer as well. My guess is Freeman said we need to reach out to this kid, or has already been in contact with him. I think Hurley yearns to create a long athletic defensive oriented team ala 2019 Florida State and he fits the bill.

Reaction Score
Carrigan, Jones and Polley returning would fantastic.

Would love for Whaley to return and have him as opposed to Carrigan but I think he’s going to have an opportunity to make a lot of money overseas and take it.

UconnU

Reaction Score
We if were to land Lundy the amount of northern Jersey/Philly area kids on our team would be ridiculous. Like almost all of our scholarship players would be from that region.

Reaction Score
Carrigan, Jones and Polley returning would fantastic.

Would love for Whaley to return and have him as opposed to Carrigan but I think he’s going to have an opportunity to make a lot of money overseas and take it.
You can’t seriously think we want Carrigan .

Reaction Score
I think either. He put up extremely pedestrian numbers at FIU.
I don’t know what kind of big people think we’re going to get on the market but with Sanogo we’re not going to be getting a world beater.

Carrigan is a grad transfer, so his scholarship will not impact the Clingan recruitment. He will accept a backup role. A guy that averaged 7ppg, 6rpg, 2.5bpg in my opinion is fantastic use of a scholarship.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Below are some of the latest portal entries. DJ Harvey (we made his final list back in '16 sheesh) who left ND and now leaving Vandy. Bit of a Vandy exodus looks like. UK's Cam Fletcher and Lance Thomas out of Memphis. Also see Ira Lee of Az along with Taeshon Cherry (Bobby's team)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-141239_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210316-141239_Chrome.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 135
Reaction Score
Hard pass on Carrigan, especially with the number of players who are going to be transferring this year
Can I ask what you’re looking/hoping for with the scholarship that may go to a big? Non grad transfer? More of a 5 that can stretch the floor?Also, how many minutes do you realistically think we can sell a transfer big on?

Reaction Score
Cincinnati Bearcats now with 8 open scholarships (and counting) to fill for next season.

Coach Brannen's wife is now all over twitter 'liking' posts that are criticizing the roster/transfers. SMH.

Also, Cincy insiders saying that the carnage ain't over.

Reaction Score
Can I ask what you’re looking/hoping for with the scholarship that may go to a big? Non grad transfer? More of a 5 that can stretch the floor?Also, how many minutes do you realistically think we can sell a transfer big on?
I'm more interested in a 4/5 combo big with that scholarship than a traditional big, think a Whaley replacement rather than a Carlton replacement. We have a lot of bodies to throw out there at the 4 next year but I think there's enough minutes to entice a Tyrese Martin level transfer.

Strictly a 5 it's hard to find more than 5-10 minutes available, combo 4/5 I think you can find 20 minutes to offer. Akok 20, Sanogo 25, Johnson 10 leaves 25 minutes between Springs and a transfer at the 4/5

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm more interested in a 4/5 combo big with that scholarship than a traditional big, think a Whaley replacement rather than a Carlton replacement. We have a lot of bodies to throw out there at the 4 next year but I think there's enough minutes to entice a Tyrese Martin level transfer.

Strictly a 5 it's hard to find more than 5-10 minutes available, combo 4/5 I think you can find 20 minutes to offer. Akok 20, Sanogo 25, Johnson 10 leaves 25 minutes between Springs and a transfer at the 4/5

That’s a lack of beef at c. I think Johnson and akok are more 4s. But yes I can see some small ball lineups.

Reaction Score
That’s a lack of beef at c. I think Johnson and akok are more 4s. But yes I can see some small ball lineups.
It is, but also have to take into account the defense Hurley wants to run. Sanogo is the exception (and he's improved a lot) but with the hard hedge someone like Whaley or Samson Johnson at the 5 is a perfect fit with their athleticism. Also don't think Johnson is too small to play the 5, already at 205-210 before he gets into our S&C program

Reaction Score
I don't want to go into the season with 1 strength player, (Sanogo). I want 1 more whether Johnson, Akok, or Springs can play small ball 5 or not. Give me somebody that is over 6'9 and about 230-240lbs. whether he sees himself as a PF or C. We need 5 bigs and only have 4 now. A Tre Mitchell type might be hard to lure with Sanogo on board, but a similar player I'd love.

DJ Harvey and Earl Timberlake are both Dematha. I thought DJ Harvey was one of the best players at Hoophall when he was just a HS soph. I have no idea how he hasn't been a star. That was a long time ago now. Timberlake was dominant with Dickenson last year but only played limited minutes in Miami in 7 games. I assume injuries because he started 3. I'd love a shot at guys like them. AJ Bramah would excite me if we are on the short list. I don't have an opinion on the Penn St kids but obviously the Freeman connection might up the probability that we look in that direction. With Diggins, Cole, Gaffney, and Jackson's handle, give me a 6'5 2 guard shooter, and a 6'6 to 6'7 versatile player. At least 1 guy I'd want to be a multiyear player.

I note that DJ Harvey is a great foul shooter. According to Vanderbilt he made 18 FT on 16 FTA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Needs:

1) A 2G who is a knockdown shooter (shooter most imp. If can only have one) and some quickness if can get both

2) starting caliber 4 man as sanogo is our 5, a little beef on him, and ability to hit mid range (Jeff Adrien-lite)

3) if we don’t get quick guard in #1 or good shooter in #2, then a player that can score - without Bouk we need scoring

UconnU

Reaction Score
I keep hearing that Johnson is a 4. I don’t see it. To me he’s more of a rim running, shot blocking, PnR center that can occasionally play on the perimeter. His shooting is spottier than has been advertised. In fact I don’t think he was used at the 4 anytime other than when he was playing alongside Sanogo. There may be times where he starts at the 4 but he’ll play the majority of his minutes at the 5 ala Whaley. I’d bet money on it.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is the exception (and he's improved a lot) but with the hard hedge someone like Whaley or Samson Johnson at the 5 is a perfect fit with their athleticism.

I don't want to go into the season with 1 strength player, (Sanogo). I want 1 more whether Johnson, Akok, or Springs can play small ball 5 or not. Give me somebody that is over 6'9 and about 230-240lbs. whether he sees himself as a PF or C. We need 5 bigs and only have 4 now.
so someone with good size for a C and the athleticism to switch onto a perimeter player and ideally the ability to shoot from midrange...whaley is the obvious easy answer here but does such a grad transfer exist?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In fact I don’t think he was used at the 4 anytime other than when he was playing alongside Sanogo.
you mean his entire junior year? i dont disagree with your main point. i'm sure he's bulked up a lot since last year and i also prefer him as a stretch 5 but he can def play either spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog