Recruiting Boost? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Boost?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If the “rest of eternity” equals two or three more recruiting cycles, then you are spot on. But maybe you should google “eternity.”
I think you knew what I meant? I was kind of using the word for emphasis.

But thank you Business Lawyer guy, for always keeping all of us peasants intellectually and semantically in-check on here.

Reaction Score
Like many others I think this run HAS to help our recruiting out, and what I hope it will help is landing us guys who aren’t guaranteed starters minutes. We can likely be selective in the portal and our pitch will resonate more than some others because of the success we’ve had with a team with many weapons, how crucial that depth was and how much fun everyone on the roster is having this year. I hope it helps us land more Joeys in the coming years whether it’s to fill a gap in shooting, ball handling, rebounding, etc.

I’d even think someone like Joey will be willing to give his time to chat with a potential transfer to talk about his time with the team and going from Cali to cow country

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
LMAO. No, he didn't "make his point" technically. He made his point. I could say "you're a human being technically," but all it does is add nastiness to a statement of fact. Here's the thing -- facts aren't nasty or nice, they're just true.

What a whack post. Who pissed in your Cheerios? I gave the context. I didn't just throw a word in.

"Capitalizing" isn't binary, is it? It's a FACT Ollie didn't truly capitalize on our title, or we wouldn't have ended up in shambles. That may not be nasty or nice, but it's true. I gave AW credit for pointing out Ollie's initial recruiting class was good.

And AW knows I wasn't being nasty to him. He doesn't need your help. He agreed with my post, for .

Reaction Score
If we win this, we will be considered "blue blood" by most everyone. Reading around various team's message boards, including the existing BBs and teams that hate us, they are all but admitting and resigning to it. All that chatter is absolutely going to help us even more with recruiting.
Yeah, probably helps us in recruiting, but does Hurley start going after the one and done 5 stars that Calipari has always feasted on? Because if he does, that doesn’t guarantee another NC. Hurley has to be careful here.

Reaction Score
UConn has the #4 ranked class in 2023, behind only Duke, Kentucky, and Mich St., so there isn't much boosting room available. The boost in recruiting really comes down to winning individual battles which ride on a series of intangibles such as NIL, playing time (i.e. how many many of prior top recruits go to draft or transfer).
I was looking at some tape on our class and the least hyped of the group is Jaydon Ross and watching him all i could think was Jeremy Lamb 2.o. This was a great class itll be interesting to see what kind of classes Hurley brings in over the next decade. We could have some legendary classes.

Reaction Score
What's absolutely insane to think about is Hurley and this staff signed the #4 recruiting class coming off mediocre seasons that ended with first round tournament exits. Kind of scary to think what he will be able to do now.

Reaction Score
While this is true, Jalen Adams was a top get, Daniel Hamilton as well. But think of Isaiah Whaley. He is what you're describing, a mid-major talent. Yet he worked his butt off, he's in the G-League scoring and rebounding
I think Ollie’s problem in recruiting was that he didn’t build classes he simply recruited players. Hurley seems to be much better at forming a team and a vision with the players he brings into the program.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make. There’s another thread out there for that.
I’ll chime in anyway. I think we are the closest thing to bring the next blue blood. If Hurley gets a couple championships the argument is there. You’ve got to have sustained success with more than one coach. Thompson’s Georgetown? Tarks UNLV? Donovan’s Florida? Not blue bloods. People now doubt Wooden’s UCLA or Knights Indiana.
Worst case now. 6 final fours in less than 25 years. 4 champs, 1 TBD

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Yeah, probably helps us in recruiting, but does Hurley start going after the one and done 5 stars that Calipari has always feasted on? Because if he does, that doesn’t guarantee another NC. Hurley has to be careful here.
Yup. It's about being competitive, winning, championships. It drives enrollment and downstream revenues. It's about the money. He gets it. I'm long UConn, even though we are...
Doooomed!

Reaction Score
If you’re a top recruit, how do you not choose UCONN/HURLEY over any other program? Kensucky can’t win, Puke has an unproven coach, Kansyass has an old coach in decline, North Carolina sucks, the list goes on and on.

Reaction Score
Has our brand been enhanced by Fifth banner?? Of course.. But we recruited a top 5 recruiting class without that advantage. It should allow us to pick the right guys for any portal needs we might have if they are a Program fit.

I think Danny has made it pretty clear.. He and his staff are pretty proud of their skill development and SnC platforms and are going to select talented two way players that are the right fit. Sometimes.. The Top 25 rated guys (exception Castle) are not willing to make the sacrifices needed to succeed at UConn.. All about finding those kind of high character talented kids.

Find it interesting now that Danny has a national platform that he is emphasizing the fact that he and his coaching staff have built a Program that doesn't cheat or lie to recruits.. Won't speculate on who he might be referring to. He/They keep it real..

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Complete “free agency” via the transfer portal, in combination with NIL, will be the two biggest factors impacting recruitment in the years to come.

Enjoy this years final four and next years incoming recruiting class because college BB as it looks now is heading down a path that will no longer be about coaches, tradition, facilities, fan bases.
It will still be about coaches, tradition, facilities and fan bases!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You’ll have to explain that.

In todays transfer portal every player is eligible to transfer without penalty anywhere. How is that the same when compared to the transfer restrictions that were in place in 2019?
The portal is great for parity in college basketball and parity made this tournament one of the best I can remember.

Reaction Score
Maybe when we offer top players, they'll be less likely to drop UConn from their Final 4. Why would a recruit drop us before narrowing down from four aka 5* Naas Cunningham? Maybe some of these recruits may reconsider.

It's definitely in the program's interest to fill the NBA pipeline with Huskies. There was a drought, but it's coming back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has our brand been enhanced by Fifth banner?? Of course.. But we recruited a top 5 recruiting class without that advantage. It should allow us to pick the right guys for any portal needs we might have if they are a Program fit.

I think Danny has made it pretty clear.. He and his staff are pretty proud of their skill development and SnC platforms and are going to select talented two way players that are the right fit. Sometimes.. The Top 25 rated guys (exception Castle) are not willing to make the sacrifices needed to succeed at UConn.. All about finding those kind of high character talented kids.

Find it interesting now that Danny has a national platform that he is emphasizing the fact that he and his coaching staff have built a Program that doesn't cheat or lie to recruits.. Won't speculate on who he might be referring to. He/They keep it real..
It’ll definitely help us based upon recency bias. It also takes away the argument that “Hurley hasn’t won anything”.

I think the biggest advantage it gives us is in the portal. Newton, Allenye and Joey show that you can be enormously successful as a transfer at Connecticut. We have to become even more attractive to kids in the portal.

Reaction Score
It’ll definitely help us based upon recency bias. It also takes away the argument that “Hurley hasn’t won anything”.

I think the biggest advantage it gives us is in the portal. Newton, Allenye and Joey show that you can be enormously successful as a transfer at Connecticut. We have to become even more attractive to kids in the portal.
Imagine if he win last year with Ollie’s guys????!!!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
If you’re a top recruit, how do you not choose UCONN/HURLEY over any other program? Kensucky can’t win, Puke has an unproven coach, Kansyass has an old coach in decline, North Carolina sucks, the list goes on and on.
A: You want to make top-of-the-market NIL $$$

Poe

Reaction Score
You can’t build a program with players whose priority is NIL and the highest bidder. Hurley is spot on that he recruits players that want to be at UConn regardless of NIL and want to be part of his vision and system.

Reaction Score
You can’t build a program with players whose priority is NIL and the highest bidder. Hurley is spot on that he recruits players that want to be at UConn regardless of NIL and want to be part of his vision and system.
But he (nor we) can't ignore the importance of NIL in today's college environment. Players deserve to have some cash and we as a community need to support that. No more hungry Huskies who can't afford to go to the movies or go to a restaurant.

Reaction Score
Keep the momentum going is the mantra. Market the hell out of this championship. Market the hell out of the fact this is the 5th championship in history. Put up signage or billboards in NYC and Foxwoods and Mohegun Sun. There is so much foot traffic from people all over the country and the world in those places.

Hurley's comment about recruiting players without it being all about NIL is great, and I agree with him, but NIL has to always be improving.

Things in this world change on the dime. Let's just look at college basketball and nothing else. Marquette had a very good season with a BE reg season title and the BET title. They were on top of the world at that moment. When the Sweet 16 rolled around, they were down in the dumps and now UConn is on top of the world. I am not dissing Marquette, they had a good season and I like them a lot.

Another example, Villanova after last year made 3 Final Fours in a 6-year span and won 2 national championships. Nova fans felt great and they should've for sure. Then about 1 month later Jay Wright's retirement set them back and now the fans are wondering if Nova will ever return to their platinum age of basketball.

Things change quickly. UConn players, coaches, admin, and fans should enjoy this championship and the spoils that come with it. But UConn needs to parlay this into great PR brand building and sustainable success, which does not mean winning titles every year. Use this to enhance the brand and name recognition of UConn to help football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom