Record Fundraising Year For UConn: $158 Millions | The Boneyard

Record Fundraising Year For UConn: $158 Millions

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That is good news. But as usual another article from UConn about the endowment does not include the the amount the endowment has reached. An article by the Daily Campus in March reported the endowment has "hovered over 600 million." That number would be in line with past reporting. But I used to received a quasi UConn annnual report an haven't gotten one in a while. They usually reported the number In June. Does anyone know what the university reported in June 2023? Thanks.

Reaction Score
That is good news. But as usual another article from UConn about the endowment does not include the the amount the endowment has reached. An article by the Daily Campus in March reported the endowment has "hovered over 600 million." That number would be in line with past reporting. But I used to received a quasi UConn annnual report an haven't gotten one in a while. They usually reported the number In June. Does anyone know what the university reported in June 2023? Thanks.

see Financial Information - UConn Foundation

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you. According to that the endowment ended 2022 at 594 mllion.
What is considered to be a reasonable level of endowment for a school our size. I feel like $1 billion is the target.

Reaction Score
The $40M donation comes from Elisabeth Deluca, the widow of the guy who founded Subway. We gotta get her into the football team!
The University will probably named the new nursing building that’s scheduled to be completed in 2026 after her.

Reaction Score

That's pretty abysmal considering the size of the school and our success academically and athletically. Just looking at a list of highest endowments from schools we seem to be compared to...

UMass: 1.1 billion
UMaryland: 1
Cuse: 1.8 (barf)
Delaware: 1.8
Nova: 1.1

And randomly enough, Wesleyan is actually 2nd in the country in endowment per undergrad student, right after Yale #1. Even Quinnipiac has 700 mill like you said. So it's not like it's just a Northeast cultural thing where people don't give to colleges like they do down south.

Time for UConn to step it up on the fundraising front. Football success would probably help a lot with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It should always be rising. Harvard is 50 billion, University of Michigan is 17 billion, University of Virginia is 6 billion, Syracuse is 1.7 billion, Quinnipiac is over 700 million
It is just stunning to me how much lower than the norm we are, even given the recent increases. I understand the things that created that, but still.

Reaction Score
That's pretty abysmal considering the size of the school and our success academically and athletically. Just looking at a list of highest endowments from schools we seem to be compared to...

UMass: 1.1 billion
UMaryland: 1
Cuse: 1.8 (barf)
Delaware: 1.8
Nova: 1.1

And randomly enough, Wesleyan is actually 2nd in the country in endowment per undergrad student, right after Yale #1. Even Quinnipiac has 700 mill like you said. So it's not like it's just a Northeast cultural thing where people don't give to colleges like they do down south.

Time for UConn to step it up on the fundraising front. Football success would probably help a lot with that.
historically UConn has raised money to be spent not to increase the endowment (I would say this has been a mistake as the endowment can fund a school in perpetuity). I would say that this is something for management to focus on, when you get a 40 million donation, it can go to construction of a building or it can go into the endowment where it generates 4 million dollars for the budget every year forever

Reaction Score
historically UConn has raised money to be spent not to increase the endowment (I would say this has been a mistake as the endowment can fund a school in perpetuity). I would say that this is something for management to focus on, when you get a 40 million donation, it can go to construction of a building or it can go into the endowment where it generates 4 million dollars for the budget every year forever

Makes sense. I know absolutely nothing about endowments outside of more (usually) means better.

Reaction Score
I doubt it would generate 4 million for the budget each year. I believe they only spend approximately 4% of the endowment value each year not the 10% of the value shown in your example above.

Reaction Score
The state funded UConn. The money came from the state budget. That's why they didn't build an endowment. It only when the state couldn't meet the funding requirements of the university that UConn began to create an meaningful endowment.

Reaction Score
The $40M donation comes from Elisabeth Deluca, the widow of the guy who founded Subway. We gotta get her into the football team!
She just got richer by many many billions of dollars, as of a few days ago. The DeLuca’s and the Bucks family sold out the company.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The endowment should be tripled in size within five years.
What is this, a school for ants?

it-needs-to-pkkdgf.jpg

Reaction Score
Just take a look at the financial endowments of the Big 10 universities. This is what you need to run a true
research university.

Reaction Score
annual totals ($MM):
6/21 - $602
6/20 - $476
6/19 - $462
6/18 - $447
6/17 - $421
6/16 - $377
6/15 - $383

only a portion of the annual giving increases the endowment

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I doubt it would generate 4 million for the budget each year. I believe they only spend approximately 4% of the endowment value each year not the 10% of the value shown in your example above.
per the 2022 report:

"The UConn Foundation distributes 4 percent of the rolling, three-year average of quarterly
market values of endowed funds to UConn."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom