OT: - Recommendations for things to do in Martha’s Vineyard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Recommendations for things to do in Martha’s Vineyard

Reaction Score
The two main beaches are State beach between Oak Bluffs and Edgertown - nice, just for playing around on and South Beach, which has great surf. Plan on taking the "on-time ferry" over to Chappaquiddick - the barrier beach at the end of the island is beautiful and not as crowded as the main island beaches. There is a very cool beach in the middle of the island south of the main road - its a little hard to find and fills up early-Long Point Refuge Beach - worth a visit Long Point Wildlife Refuge | Martha's Vineyard, MA | The Trustees

Walk around Oak Bluffs - the "Campground" cottages are very cool and even though the kids are older, the Flying Horses merry go round where they get to go for the brass ring is a lot of fun. Bring home some Black Dog Tee shirts. As other posters said the little towns are all fun to walk around. Edgertown is full of little touristy shops. If you're lucky one of the lighthouses may be open to visitors, I've climbed up the Edgertown Beach light.

Have fun!
I’ve seen pictures of the campground houses - they’re adorable. Good call! I didn’t know that’s what they were called. I don’t think they’re too old for the carousel - I hope not!

Reaction Score
My favorite things to do on the Vineyard are bike rides to the Aquinnah cliffs or South Beach (not far from Edgartown), hang out at the Seafood Shanty in Edgartown for food and drink and eating lobster from the fish market at Menemsha while watching the sunset. You get quite a crowd there with many people bringing champagne. I have also heard that the lobster ice cream at Mad Martha's in Oak Bluffs is good but I have never tried it.
My daughter lives for vacation where she will attempt to incorporate ice cream into every meal - lobster ice cream might put a stop to that.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I went about a decade ago. The weather was dicey but on one day where it didn't rain we did the bi-plane ride & horseback riding. Both were really cool but probably pricey--i didn't have kids back then so I had the extra $$.
I also did a fishing charter and brought back a ton of striped bass. Good fishing grounds around there. Also not cheap but I enjoy fishing and tried to justify it by supplying dinner.
We also did the menemsha beach sunset...wasn't my cup of tea but if you fill your cup with something else it can be fun.

Reaction Score
I went about a decade ago. The weather was dicey but on one day where it didn't rain we did the bi-plane ride & horseback riding. Both were really cool but probably pricey--i didn't have kids back then so I had the extra $$.
I also did a fishing charter and brought back a ton of striped bass. Good fishing grounds around there. Also not cheap but I enjoy fishing and tried to justify it by supplying dinner.
We also did the menemsha beach sunset...wasn't my cup of tea but if you fill your cup with something else it can be fun.
Horseback riding would be really fun. I like fishing but I’m not going to clean them... but that would be cool if I had someone with us who would.

Reaction Score
My wife and I have been going to MV for over 25 years. My 19 and 15 year old girls have been going with us since they were born and they still love it. These are things we do.

Take the Chappy Ferry and go check out Mytoi Garden. At the same place you can book a Cape Poge 4x4 lighthouse tour. (You should call in advance for a reservation.) 508.627.3599

A little further down the road from Mytoi, you can park and walk across the famous Dike Bridge and go to Leland Beach.

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/cape-cod-islands/

By the way, you can't drive on the beach without purchasing a pass from the Trustees of Reservations, so if you rent a Jeep you will not be able to drive it on the beach.

Shop in Oak Bluffs, Edgartown and Vineyard Haven. Parking in EDGARtown can be a bitch!

For food, Offshore Ale in Oak Bluffs has GREAT food and beer. That's my spot for our first meal every year. The Shanty in Edgartown has decent food and a good tap list. Eat upstairs at the rooftop bar/restaurant. Kids are OK up there. Newes From America is a great pub in Edgartown. Back Door Doughnuts opens at 7:00 PM for the best apple fritters you'll ever eat. There's always a line, so get there early.

Visit John Belushi's resting place at Abel Hill Cemetery, Chilmark, MA

As members of the Trustees, we like Long Point Beach. The $70 membership gives you a discounts there and all over the island. South Beach would be our second choice. Bend in the Road Beach in Oak Bluffs gets crowded early, but the surf is very calm.

Sunset at Menemsha Harbor is really cool but always a mob scene. Go to the Gay Head lighthouse in Aquinnah instead.

Kids will live Island Alpaca! alpaca farm, alpaca for sale, alpaca breeding, alpaca clothing, alpaca clothing, alpaca information

Every year we catch a Martha's Vineyard Sharks game at the high school. They play in the ECBL the #2 collegiate baseball league, second only to the Cape Cod League.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Horseback riding would be really fun. I like fishing but I’m not going to clean them... but that would be cool if I had someone with us who would.
Re:fishing. Most charters will clean and filet the fish for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom