Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wes Anderson is dead to me. The French Dispatch was awful. Asteroid City was somehow maybe even worse. His last few offerings have had all the quirkiness and weirdness, with none of the humor or cleverness. Or a hint of anything compelling. It appears he took a fatal helping of pretentiousness. RIP to a formerly wonderful filmmaker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wes Anderson is dead to me. The French Dispatch was awful. Asteroid City was somehow maybe even worse. His last few offerings have had all the quirkiness and weirdness, with none of the humor or cleverness. Or a hint of anything compelling. It appears he took a fatal helping of pretentiousness. RIP to a formerly wonderful filmmaker.
I haven’t liked anything from him in years.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven’t liked anything from him in years.
Yeah, I can't think of anything I've liked particularly well since Grand Budapest Hotel. Isle of Dogs didn't really do it for me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Prisoner's Daughter (2023) - Brian Cox and Kate Beckinsale star in this movie. Overall, an enjoyable watch. He's in prison after 12 years and with terminal illness. He gets a break to end his days at his daughters' house under house arrest. Of course, she hates his . She has a young son, too.

Family bonding develops and the movie has a Gran Torino ending.

Reaction Score
The Old Guard - 2020
Charlize Theron, KiKi Layne, Chiwetel Ejiofor
A pretty good action flick with the interesting comic book storyline. You got your shooting and whatnot. The ending leaves you anticipating the sequal. Charlize is always entertaining enough.
Indeed. Surprised there hasn't been anything on the sequel already.

Reaction Score
Pain Hustlers (Netflix) - Emily Blount, Chris Evans, Andy Garcia and Catherine O'Hara in the best Netflix produced movie I think I have ever seen. It provides an "inspired by a true story" account of one of the second tier opioid manufacturers that was just as scummy as Perdue Pharma. I give it a 9 out of 10 because the movie didn't quite stick the ending, but it was really good. It is funny, but also smart. I like that it takes a less "good vs. evil" approach to depicting the company, and tries to explain the motivations of the people who participated in something so awful as creating the opioid crisis. One of the problems I have with Painkiller is that it turns everyone at Perdue Pharma into cartoon villains, and it makes the story a lot less interesting.

I have watched maybe 4 marvel movies, so I had only seen Chris Evans a couple of times and I always thought he sucked as an actor. He is really good in this. I would not have landed on Andy Garcia stepping in for Donald Sutherland and William Hurt and taking all the "60-something rich guy" roles. He is fine as an actor, but nothing special.
Yeah, after the first episode of Painkiller we thought it was excellent, but as you say, it went off the rails into cartoon villain territory pretty quickly and the series overall went downhill as a result.

Reaction Score
Okay, I've got proof positive that people flat out lie on imdb. I've seen 2 movies previously with Sylvie Mix. Both low budget indies, somewhat interesting, didn't come off as cheap. I just stumbled onto something else she's in, so I gave it a try. "Obstacle Corpse." Cheap doesn't even begin to describe how this looked. To call it campy or B grade would be giving it too much credit. I kept thinking it couldn't possibly be that bad, but finally threw in the towel about 2/3 of the way through. Acting was beyond horrible, script, direction, cinematography, choreography, special effects, everything was beyond laughably bad. This wasn't even bad high school drama club bad, it was worse than that. And yet...it has 7.0 score on imdb. There's no way possible anyone can give it a score that high without being deliberately dishonest and misleading. Granted it's a very small sample size, but I refuse to believe there's anyone that actually truly believes it is good in any measurable way. This should have a score of about 3.0.

The synopsis, if anyone cares after my rant, is that a handful of people are invited to this bizarre obstacle race. Each invitee then needs to recruit a patsy to bring with them. The objective of the race is to murder your "friend" at some point during the course. There are some ex-military types working security, a middle aged couple who apparently set the whole thing up, an odd collection of participants, and then some random uninvited psycho in a fake food truck who sets about wrecking the whole thing. It potentially could've been a decent campy horror comedy, but it falls so short of the mark I'm stunned this ever got off the ground. My new nominee for worst movie ever made.
Ooof, gotta look a little closer at the rating. Its down to 6.8, but only based on 27 total reviews.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reptile on Netflix was a pretty good cop flick. It stars Benicio Del Toro, Justin Timberlake and Alicia Silverstone.
Saw it a few weeks ago and meant to comment. I enjoyed it. Wonder how it was on set between BDT and AS as they used to be a hot item in the 90s.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Killer is new on Netflix. Directed by Fincher and starring Michael Fassbender. Everything about it from a technical standpoint is good. It's just that it's very slow, and quite dry. Fassbender is a hit man. He botches a job, then things get complicated. There are a bunch of repetitive voice overs where he repeats his mantras for his line of work. Probably did that 1 or 2 times too many. It's okay, but it won't really stick with you and once is definitely enough.

Reaction Score
The Killer is new on Netflix. Directed by Fincher and starring Michael Fassbender. Everything about it from a technical standpoint is good. It's just that it's very slow, and quite dry. Fassbender is a hit man. He botches a job, then things get complicated. There are a bunch of repetitive voice overs where he repeats his mantras for his line of work. Probably did that 1 or 2 times too many. It's okay, but it won't really stick with you and once is definitely enough.
The Killer (2023) Close but no cigar. Sometimes he is very professional other times he isn't. The character is totally inconsistent. And the stupid device (we are oh so clever) of using famous alias makes no sense at all.

I liked it, the acting is good, the script is fair, I don't now what they we going for in this film - and neither did the filmmakers. Near miss. Two stars.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And the stupid device (we are oh so clever) of using famous alias makes no sense at all.
I forgot to mention that. And not a single person ever reacted to any of those names. He was in and out of hotels and airports constantly. Somebody somewhere would've made a quip about one of those names in the real world.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention that. And not a single person ever reacted to any of those names. He was in and out of hotels and airports constantly. Somebody somewhere would've made a quip about one of those names in the real world.

If you are trying to be unnoticed, you don't use names that would attract attention. It's completely contrary to his narration. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you are trying to be unnoticed, you don't use names that would attract attention. It's completely contrary to his narration. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
exactly

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Cocaine Bear. I watched this on the flight across the pond. This is a comedy horror movie and a good one. It’s frequently ridiculous in a good way. There is some gore, but you just have to laugh when some of these folks meet their demise. So good acting too, Kerri Russell is the desperate mom, Ray Liotta basically playing his Goodfellas character in a way. Margo Martindale as a park ranger thrust into the action.

Reaction Score
Been struggling to get through the killer. "Nyad" is solid though. Pretty incredible feat to swim from Cuba to Florida keys and that she did it at 60

Reaction Score
Been struggling to get through the killer. "Nyad" is solid though. Pretty incredible feat to swim from Cuba to Florida keys and that she did it at 60
Just finished The Killer. It was pretty damn bad and some of the lines from Fassbender were super cringy. Writing in Hollywood is so bad these days. Just another movie I'm left wondering why it was made. Disappointing from Fincher who used to do great stuff.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Writing in Hollywood is so bad these days.
There were plenty of poor movies before, but film making pretty much went in the toilet during covid and hasn't really recovered. Agreed, there is a lot of just terrible writing happening.

Reaction Score
Just finished The Killer. It was pretty damn bad and some of the lines from Fassbender were super cringy. Writing in Hollywood is so bad these days. Just another movie I'm left wondering why it was made. Disappointing from Fincher who used to do great stuff.
LOL I loved 'The Killer'. Thought it was freaking superb; I literally did not turn my gaze from the screen once during the entire movie which is rare for me. Had my doubts about the narration in the beginning but it fit the film perfectly.

For comparison's sake my definition of a Trash Netflix movie is either of the 'Extraction' installments. 'The Killer' and 'All Quiet on the Western Front', on the other hand were two of the best films I've seen in the past year.

One of the many vs. one of the few, indeed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LOL I loved 'The Killer'. Thought it was freaking superb; I literally did not turn my gaze from the screen once during the entire movie which is rare for me. Had my doubts about the narration in the beginning but it fit the film perfectly.

For comparison's sake my definition of a Trash Netflix movie is either of the 'Extraction' installments. 'The Killer' and 'All Quiet on the Western Front', on the other hand were two of the best films I've seen in the past year.

One of the many vs. one of the few, indeed.
Well I was somewhere inbetween. Neither loved it nor hated it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Holdovers. Stars Paul Giamatti as a boarding school teacher stuck with the “holdovers” who have nowhere to go during the holidays. Newcomer Dominic Sessa is Angus, a student who becomes a holder. He’s full of teen angst and battles the teacher early on. Da’Vine Joy Randolph plays Mary, a cafeteria worker who recently lost her son in the Vietnam war. It’s set in late 1970 into 1971. All three learn about each other, about grief, about empathy. It’s beautifully filmed, and looks like 1970. It’s a serious movie, but is also consistently funny. Certainly one of the best films of the year and it will garner some Oscar nominations.

Reaction Score

Finally found someone who agrees with me on this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom