Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

Reaction Score
The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker (2023 Netflix). A very strange documentary about a very strange young man who became a cult hero, could've had his own TV show and millions, but just wanted to get high. Something in his wiring was off and he's no longer that cult hero.

It's odd, it's ultimately unfulfilling, but it's fairly compelling nonetheless because of not only the subject person, but all the TV and media pros who couldn't figure out what to do with him.
I remember watching the Kimmel show back in the day when he was always talking about Kai and had him on the show. It's pathetic how all these media personalities ignored all the blaring warning signs that Kai was severely mentally ill and seriously violent. The story that made him famous and everyone wanted to cash in on didn't even make any sense and wasn't anything that should be celebrated.

You should watch the Don't Pick up the Phone one on Netflix, it's even weirder and more disturbing than Kai.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Pez Bandit (2023 Netflix). Another documentary, and a goofy one, but a fun ride. Can't help buy love the protagonist and his wife. Offers an insider's look at the world of Pez collectibles and how The Pez Bandit got under the skin of the CEO of Pez USA to comic effect. It sounds weird, but there are characters (especially his main competitor) and a story that make this an enjoyable watch. At least for me.

Reaction Score
I put this in the '22 thread, but I watched it in '23:

Just watched "The Menu." I just didn't get it. I didn't enjoy it at all. Some reviewers called it brilliant satire or very dark comedy. Didn't hit the mark for me. Seemed ridiculous and pointless. But Anya Taylor-Joy is always very watchable.
I thought it was a fascinating, if a bit over-the-top film. In addition to ATJ, Fiennes was terrific. His restaurant is loosely based on Noma - local sourcing, tweezer presentations, etc. It's a skewering of both some Michelin star restaurants where the experience > food, and the people who eat at these restaurants do so for the prestige as much as enjoyment of the meal. Loved the ending where a cheeseburger cut through all that for both Chef and Margot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje) (Netflix 2021) Based on a true story of a British bombing run to eliminate a Gestap0* HQ in Copenhagen that went horribly wrong as half the bombers ended up targeting a girls school, with many innocent lives taken. For me, this was a movie that drew me in, not really for the main plot point, but for a bunch of other stories and performances that were probably poetic license to the reality, but were very effective in moving the plot along. Some excellent performances, especially from the kids who were cast, and from Fanny Leander Bornedal (don't know if she'll do any English-language movies, but definitely has star quality at only 23). Many poignant moments. And I didn't even like the ending, but I won't say why just yet. I do highly recommend this.

*Tom... the gazpacho joke is long dated. I think you can delete that filter now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Narvik (2022 Netflix). Watched this Monday night. Narvik's claim to fame was that both English and German ships were loading iron ore from its docks in the early days of WWII while Norway still had a tenuous grip on its neutrality. It's a fairly linear story about the resistance and one woman having to make a difficult choice between country and family. Unlike Bombardment, those are really only two story lines, and they're predictable (especially if you know any WWII history). If you really need a WWII movie to pass the time, then it's worthwhile watching I suppose, but I didn't find it half as compelling as the movie I reviewed directly above.

Reaction Score
A Clockwork Orange (1971) - hadn't watched it in decades. The story holds up very well. Malcolm McDowell is perfectly cast and delivers one of the best black humor performances of all time as the violent, murdering Alex. Kubrick delivers a visual feast in a dull future dystopia punctuated by violence (not extreme by today's standards) and classical music. The insane imagery of Alex during the Ludovico Technique remains one of the icons of film history. I still squirmed as his eyes are pulled open by metal clamps. Amazingly you find yourself smiling as this horific film ends. This is and will remain a five star experience and one of the greatest film of all time.

Ultimately the film is about individual freedom versus the good of society. It remains relevant today. And I suspect it will still be relevant far into mankind's future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A Clockwork Orange (1971) - hadn't watched it in decades. The story holds up very well. Malcolm McDowell is perfectly cast and delivers one of the best black humor performances of all time as the violent, murdering Alex. Kubrick delivers a visual feast in a dull future dystopia punctuated by violence (not extreme by today's standards) and classical music. The insane imagery of Alex during the Ludovico Technique remains one of the icons of film history. I still squirmed as his eyes are pulled open by metal clamps. Amazingly you find yourself smiling as this horific film ends. This is and will remain a five star experience and one of the greatest film of all time.

Ultimately the film is about individual freedom versus the good of society. It remains relevant today. And I suspect it will still be relevant far into mankind's future.

I remember this being a terrific film as well. I saw "A Clockwork Orange" a number of times when I was a student at UConn many years ago, and I haven't seen it since. I did record it recently on our DVR, so sometime soon I hope to watch it again.

Reaction Score
Anyone watch Triangle of Sadness yet? Just watched with the wife. Thought it was really interesting. Definitely a bit weird, but still liked it

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dog Gone (2023) - Gave this a shot. 15 minutes in, my wife was elbowing me to tap ououtI should have but perservered.

Not good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is How I Live Now

American jerky teen goes to Britain to live with her aunt and cousins just before war breaks out in great Britain. Blah blah blah nukes blah blah blah incest blah blah dystopia. Weird and somewhat off putting, but watchable.

Reaction Score
Stutz (2022) - Netflix

A meta-documentary by Jonah Hill about the teachings of his therapist Dr. Phil Stutz.

For me, it was a fully immersive experience on the teachings, the relationship between Hill/Stutz, the making of the film and also life as a 74-year old working psychologist living through Parkinson's.

Highly recommend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watched the first "Knives Out" earlier this week. Shut it off maybe 45 minutes in. Reminded me of some old Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie made for TV movie.
That's a feature, not a bug. Especially the ones with David Suchet.

Reaction Score
The Lost City (2022) - This is a movie that follows more or less in the tradition of "Romancing the Stone", with a female author who specializes with in romance/adventure books getting kidnapped and involved in her own romance/adventure story. The best thing about this film is the chemistry between the two stars of this film, Sandra Bullock (the kidnapped author) and Channing Tatum (who poses for the authors book covers and is involved in trying to rescue her). However, while it does seem to be a watchable film, the other elements of this movie just did not work well for me. It is not a movie I would be inclined recommend to others. I have not seen "Romancing the Stone" in many years, but I seem to recall that I enjoyed it morer than this movie.

Reaction Score
The Lost City (2022) - This is a movie that follows more or less in the tradition of "Romancing the Stone", with a female author who specializes with in romance/adventure books getting kidnapped and involved in her own romance/adventure story. The best thing about this film is the chemistry between the two stars of this film, Sandra Bullock (the kidnapped author) and Channing Tatum (who poses for the authors book covers and is involved in trying to rescue her). However, while it does seem to be a watchable film, the other elements of this movie just did not work well for me. It is not a movie I would be inclined recommend to others. I have not seen "Romancing the Stone" in many years, but I seem to recall that I enjoyed it morer than this movie.
Brad Pitt is the best thing about the movie. The rest is meh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Resistance 1942. WWII story focused on a radio broadcaster who inspired resistance in Vichy France. Cary Elwes is the lead character Jacque, with Jason Patrick, Judd Hirsch and the adorable Greer Grammer (Kelsey's daughter). On the Nazi side Sebastian Roché plays the Gezpatcho officer tracking down Jacque and those with him. Some quibbles, it's almost all in English, the only French actor here is Roché, and he's the Nazi (he often plays Germans). So, it seems very American. It's a little clunky here and there, with Characters doing some stupid things. Ultimately, it's a movie about sacrifice, and the power of inspiring people to do more, and be more. I was left wondering what the French could have done with this story, but it's a decent watch.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dr zhivago. man, that russia place is bleak, like a long, long stretch of bad highway.
good movie, tho.
i really, really miss that zymurg poster. that one knows a lot of stuff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Resistance 1942. WWII story focused on a radio broadcaster who inspired resistance in Vichy France. Cary Elwes is the lead character Jacque, with Jason Patrick, Judd Hirsch and the adorable Greer Grammer (Kelsey's daughter). On the Nazi side Sebastian Roché plays the Gezpatcho officer tracking down Jacque and those with him. Some quibbles, it's almost all in English, the only French actor here is Roché, and he's the Nazi (he often plays Germans). So, it seems very American. It's a little clunky here and there, with Characters doing some stupid things. Ultimately, it's a movie about sacrifice, and the power of inspiring people to do more, and be more. I was left wondering what the French could have done with this story, but it's a decent watch.
I was too cheap to pay the $3.99 rental, but while on Prime I saw another movie titled "Resistance" (2019, Prime) about Marcel Marceau's participation in the French Resistance in WWII. Jesse Eisenberg played Marceau. Had no clue about his heroism in saving Jewish kids. Interesting story, fairly slow paced, but I found it worth the time. Don't worry, there's not a ton of mime.

Reaction Score
No putzing around this time, just gonna make with the postings as soon as I watch them.

Black Adam - It's crazy the budgets that are given to what eventually become thoroughly mediocre movies. Not terrible, the action was fine, the Rock wisecracks had a Arnold Terminator vibe to them, the kid was annoying, the other supers were forgettable, story blah, direction blah, villain meh, all for a tidy $260 mil lol. DC can't do anything but Batman right.

Side note - Viola Davis' Waller is the absolute worst, I can't believe James Gunn/DC feel she is deserving of her own show.

The Menu - Seems to be pretty divisive on here, with most disliking it. I enjoyed it. It's blend of satire/dark humor was a bit hit or miss but I never felt bored. Hoult's character gave me a few chuckles.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"True Spirit," new on Netflix. Based on the true story of a 16 year old Australian girl who sailed solo and unassisted around the world. Well worth a watch I thought.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Devotion. Streaming free on Paramount+ or you can rent it. Based on a true story it’s stars Jonathan Majors as Jesse Brown and Glen Powell as Tom Hudner. Brown is the Navy’s first black aviator and Hudner is his wingman. It starts in 1950 in Rhode Island, but shifts overseas as tensions rose with the Soviets and eventually with China and the Koren conflict begins. Brown faces racism in the present day, but there’s also some regular looks back where he tells just what he went through to become a pilot. I remember the trailers for this and I’m really at a loss to explain why it wasn’t a hit. It’s one of the best movies of 2022. It’s emotional, moving, funny and has plenty of action.

Reaction Score
The Trip to Spain (2017) - In the last few years my wife and I have watched “The Trip” (2010), and “The Trip to Italy" (2014). We enjoyed these movies enough that I wanted to check out “The Trip to Spain”, a sequel to the first the first two Trip movies. Once again, this film is a sort of a travel mockumentary directed by Michael Winterbottom, and starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as some sort of fictionalized versions of themselves. In the original film, the Coogan/Brydon duo travel the English countryside on a week long restaurant tour, encountering beautiful scenery and some wonder food preparation and presentation. In this sequel, as you can tell from the title,, this week long restaurant tour is in Spain. As in the other films, in addition to the travelogue and food, this movie contains much interesting, clever and witty conversations chiefly involving Coogan and/or Brydon. There is once again a dueling series of vocal impressions of other actors and other well known figures. The vocal impressions of Marlon Brando (combined with a bit from Monty Python), Roger Moore, and James Bond were the most enjoyable. As in the other films, the humorous interplay between Coogan and Brydon was quite enjoyable. Safe to say, if you enjoyed the other films, it is quite likely that you will find “The Trip to Italy” enjoyable as well. As with the other films, there isn’t much plot to follow, just a bunch of enjoyable conversation and other stuff. Still, it is safe to say if you enjoyed one of these films, you very well might enjoy the others.

As with the other Trip movies, this was originally a multipart BBC television series that was edited into a film. Winterbottom, Coogan, and Brydon made a one more Trip movie, involving Greece after this one, after that it was announced that they were ending this travel series. I suspect at some point I will be checking out the Greece trip as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"A Chance Encounter" (also titled Molto Bella I think?). One of those quiet, enjoyable films. Absolute no name cast. A singer/songwriter who had one minor hit and hasn't been able to follow it up, and a possibly aspiring writer meet in a lovely coastal village in Italy. They encourage each other in their art and develop a strong friendship. It's not exactly a romance. The music was interesting. It's available to stream on both hoopla and Kanopy.

Here's a song from the lead actress. It's a classic Stephen Foster tune that has been done many, many times.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Arctic (2018, Netflix). Mads Mikkelsen survives a crash of a small plane in Arctic. He's getting by with a fairly meticulous routine. A research helicopter crashes sometime later. There is one survivor, I believe Thai, who's critically injured and speaks little to no English. The movie is about Mads trying to keep her alive and make it to a research hut her helicopter had been headed to. Very little dialogue. Not a ton of action. Mostly a guy dealing with the elements and a polar bear. I found it worthwhile, but not a must-see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom