Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

Reaction Score
Renfield (2023).

It’s hard to find a new way to do Dracula but Renfield successfully turns the trick. Nicolas Hoult’s ackward yet grounded Renfield elects sympathy for his situation not only as the servant of the Prince of Darkness but as a victim trapped in an abusive relationship. Cage is Cage and that’s all that is really required here. He gladly chews the scenery and it looks delicious.

Unfortunately, Awkwafina is badly miscast and does virtually nothing with the part. There is zero sexual tension between her and Hoult and it is badly needed. This would have been a perfect role for Anna Kendrick or even Amy Shumer. Someone fun and sparky. Renfield deserves A for idea but F for execution. Too bad really. One star.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Avatar: The Way of Water" was better than I expected. It didn't really need to be 3 hours, but I very much enjoyed it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Renfield. I could not tell what scenes were filmed on my cousins' farm. Must have been interior scenes. As for the movie, it was a fun, tongue in cheek monster movie that didn't take itself seriously at all. The violence has a cartoon feel and I think that's very much intentional. I do think @Palatine is right that Awkwafina may not have been ideal in pairing with Hoult. Hoult is terrific and Cage camps it up as he is supposed to. Campy fun really. I enjoyed it, but don't expect much.

Reaction Score
The Gray Man (2022)

Ryan Gosling has made a living keeping his mouth shut. It makes him perfect as the ex-con CIA asset that has his world torn to shreds. I love action movies so I am predisposed to liking this. Throw in Ana de Armas and I'm defenseless. Some of the action sequences - the Vienna scene in particular- are very long. They are also very well done and edited crisply. The body count is near John Wick territory. But this is actually an interesting story. You care about the characters. And everything is plot driven.

Chris Evans gets his chance to play the pyschopathic bad guy and he plays with a slight, very dark, comedic bent that works well. All the material is treated lightly (even the torture) and it really helps the flow of the movie. If you don't like action movies, you'll hate it. I love them. Three stars.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Reality(2023)- This had to be a movie?

A transcribed recording of an FBI investigation of a suspected whistle-blower. Made into a movie.

No need to watch.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I just watched "Wish You Well" 2013, and really liked it.

Famous author father dies in a car accident, mom in some type of coma. Kids (daughter and younger son) and mom (catatonic) go to live with great grandmother in Appalachia.

Daughter is around 12, and wants to be a writer like her dad. Daughter is the focus of most of the story.

Coal company wants great grandmother's land, but that's pretty much the back story that wraps up everything at the end.

with a nice ending.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had a flight across the Atlantic on Saturday returning from a work trip.

Watched Amsterdam on the in-flight entertainment.

Liked the movie. Christian Bale can really do just about any role. Good combination of ensemble cast and newer names. Took me a minute to figure out Mike Myers in his role. It was so obvious I had trouble seeing it.

Reaction Score

Liked the movie. Christian Bale can really do just about any role. Good combination of ensemble cast and newer names. Took me a minute to figure out Mike Myers in his role. It was so obvious I had trouble seeing it.

Thought it was just okay. Well done as a period piece. Watching Taylor Swift get run over by a truck was a highlight.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

'I've never been a big fan of Margo Robbie's, but I've watched three of her movies in the past week - I'm a fan now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'd never heard of this movie, but I'm familiar with Gen. Smedley Butler, so surprised I'd never heard of it. So I looked it up on Wikipedia and found a somewhat amazing bit of accounting info. Apparently the film cost $80 million to make, yet somehow lost $97 million for the studio.

Reaction Score
I'd never heard of this movie, but I'm familiar with Gen. Smedley Butler, so surprised I'd never heard of it. So I looked it up on Wikipedia and found a somewhat amazing bit of accounting info. Apparently the film cost $80 million to make, yet somehow lost $97 million for the studio.
Usually that is the result of a large publicity campaign which is not part of the film production. For example, just the marketing campaign for Avengers End Game was over 200 million dollars. The film cost 350 to make. So to make a profit on End Game the studio had to clear 550 million dollars.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Usually that is the result of a large publicity campaign which is not part of the film production. For example, just the marketing campaign for Avengers End Game was over 200 million dollars. The film cost 350 to make. So to make a profit on End Game the studio had to clear 550 million dollars.
I get that. Which is why I'm surprised I never heard of it. Never saw an ad, a trailer, earned media or paid PR placement, panel show clips... nothing. So if they spent a ton on promo, it wasn't at my older demographic, which I'd think, given the subject matter, would've been a key target.

Looked up the box office. It did $31 mill, slightly more overseas than in NA, which surprises me. So that would imply about a $48 mill promo budget. Also, most of the cast worked for scale or lower salary demands, so that could imply less willingness to do promo tours. Anyway, it's a subject of interest and I'd never heard of it - something that's kinda weird in an age where Google knows everything about me.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
'I've never been a big fan of Margo Robbie's, but I've watched three of her movies in the past week - I'm a fan now.
Evidently, some guys on twitter think she's "mid". Um. Nope.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hot Fuzz

Been mentioned here in other threads. Good to very good movie I almost bailed on in the first 45 min or so. There were just too many insufferable characters that I would have wanted to throw out a window, yet the lead character just suffered their stupidity.

It gets better, and the good guy eventually wins.

7.8 IMDB. 91% Rotten Tomatoes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hot Fuzz

Been mentioned here in other threads. Good to very good movie I almost bailed on in the first 45 min or so. There were just too many insufferable characters that I would have wanted to throw out a window, yet the lead character just suffered their stupidity.

It gets better, and the good guy eventually wins.

7.8 IMDB. 91% Rotten Tomatoes.

This is the second of an informal trilogy from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. The first is Shaun of the Dead and the third is The World's End. Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are hilarious. The last one isn't as good. Fortunately, they also made Paul, which is really funny and adds Seth Rogan to the mix.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Anyone see Oppenheimer yet? Going tonight
My wife and daughter are seeing it right now. My daughter picked the showing and it's Regal's RPX, so my wife is miserable. It's insanely loud. Unsafe volume levels without earplugs.

Reaction Score
My wife and daughter are seeing it right now. My daughter picked the showing and it's Regal's RPX, so my wife is miserable. It's insanely loud. Unsafe volume levels without earplugs.
Oof. Good to know. I saw that option at the local regal and didn't opt for it. You didn't want to go? I'm seeing it tonight

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom