Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

Reaction Score
I believe that Star Wars is an infomercial for action figures.

BTW, Hayden Christionson is terrific in a little seen movie about the New Republic magazine scandal. It's called "Shattered Glass." A very good little movie and HC carries it.

Star Wars is the McDonald’s of fiction. I don’t even consider it science fiction anymore.

McDonald’s food is just blended in a way that appeals to taste. One burger has meat and fat from hundreds of different cows. They get the fat, salt and sugar combo just right. McDonald’s fries are literally coated in sugar. All of it is so bad for you that your body will struggle to obtain any sort nutrition from it. And it just sits there for a while as your body tries to deal with it. Then when you eat something healthier in the next meal because it’s still there it blocks your body’s ability to absorb that.

That’s what Star Wars is. There is nothing original about it. They just ripped off a bunch of tropes and themes from Dune, Kurosawa, westerns, King Arthur, Tolkien etc.

It’s just the right mixture salt, fat and sugar. I will never watch Star Wars again or the awful spinoff series.

The first three movies weren’t awful. But the studio actually had some control over Lucas. When the next three came out the studio had no control and the product was hot garbage.

As a result, Disney realized they could make a fortune pumping out mediocre to crappy content. And this is where we are. Never again.

Reaction Score

BTW, Hayden Christionson is terrific in a little seen movie about the New Republic magazine scandal. It's called "Shattered Glass." A very good little movie and HC carries it.

George Lucas almost assassinated Hayden and Portman’s careers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There is nothing original about it. They just ripped off a bunch of tropes and themes from Dune, Kurosawa, westerns, King Arthur, Tolkien etc.
Probably Buck Rogers and some Edgar Rice Burrows as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have to admit, he's much better in the 3rd Star Wars prequel (and got ripped) than in the 2nd. He's simply awful in the second, which (minus Natalie's hair) is the worst of the 3. I'll look for that one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
P

yeah but you’re a Star Trek guy, so you’re supposed to dislike it

Reaction Score
P

yeah but you’re a Star Trek guy, so you’re supposed to dislike it

I tend to like most Sci Fi movies even a bunch of the bad ones. But Stars Wars, after a brilliant beginning, has turned into something that belongs on Saturday morning.

Reaction Score
Spider Man Far From Home.

Entertaining but forgettable fluff. That’s it. Star Wars is McDonalds and Marvel is Taco Bell.

Dr. Strange: “Hey as a favor to you Peter I am going to cast a spell that could upset the balance of reality as you know it, and I am not even going to explain the ramifications until I am in the middle of casting it”.

These are just live action Saturday morning cartoons.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Scream. 2021. Watched on a Jet Blue flight. This was quite good for a horror sequel. In some respects it mocks the sequels that came before it and is more clever for it. It has some ok scares, and lots of almost moments that are well crafted. If you appreciated the first one you will like this one.

Reaction Score
Windfall (2022) - Jason Segel tries to rob the vacation home of a multi-millionaire and his wife who come home unexpectedly. Weird movie in that there were 4 characters shown the entire movie. Really stupid climax and hollow ending. Tries so hard to deliver a bang-up ending that just fell flat.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Adam Project 2022. Netflix. So, this was fun. Ryan Reynolds goes back in time and meets his younger self. Lots of nods to movies past. Likable characters, action, humor, fun, people to root for. Just a nice enjoyable film. The kid is excellent. The interplay between them works quite well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Windfall (2022) - Jason Segel tries to rob the vacation home of a multi-millionaire and his wife who come home unexpectedly. Weird movie in that there were 4 characters shown the entire movie. Really stupid climax and hollow ending. Tries so hard to deliver a bang-up ending that just fell flat.
Yeah, watched it last night... that was 90 minutes I won't be getting back, although I will grant at least Segel was halfway decent. Jesse Plemmons was unbearable. Should've killed him in first 10 minutes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Adam Project 2022. Netflix. So, this was fun. Ryan Reynolds goes back in time and meets his younger self. Lots of nods to movies past. Likable characters, action, humor, fun, people to root for. Just a nice enjoyable film. The kid is excellent. The interplay between them works quite well.
Glad to hear it. The trailer looked fun. Whenever I sign up for Netflix streaming again I'll watch it for sure.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reynolds is less over-the-top acerbic here, and the film has him show some actual human emotions instead of simply a steady stream of wisecracks like his Deadpool franchise. There's nothing groundbreaking about The Adam Project, and in fact it points fun at itself with numerous references to seemingly every other huge grossing sci-fi/superhero film around. But it is a fun watch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
CODA. 2021. Apple TV. CODA stands for Child of Deaf Adults. The film could have used a better name. This movie stars Emilia Jones as Ruby Rossi, a child of deaf parents. She has been nominated for several acting awards (but not an Oscar). The movie is a best picture nominee. I knew Ms. Jones from Locke & Key on Netflix and she puts in an impressive performance here. Marlee Maitlin is her deaf mom, Troy Kotsur her deaf dad and Daniel Durant her deaf brother. All three actors are deaf. The movie is set in Gloucester, MA, and the family are fishermen. Ruby helps out, going out at 3:00 AM to fish, then going to school. She struggles at school, socially and academically. She faces tremendous pressure to help her family, as the only hearing person in it. She joins choir, in part due to a boy (she does sing on the boat) and finds a music teacher who tutors her and helps her explore her musical talents. But those obligations start to conflict with the demands her family places on her. It's wonderful movie really. Touching, moving and the acting is really good across the board. As a hearing impaired person I had wanted to see it and it exceeded my expectations. Ms. Jones is on the radar now for future stardom.

Reaction Score
CODA. 2021. Apple TV. CODA stands for Child of Deaf Adults. The film could have used a better name. This movie stars Emilia Jones as Ruby Rossi, a child of deaf parents. She has been nominated for several acting awards (but not an Oscar). The movie is a best picture nominee. I knew Ms. Jones from Locke & Key on Netflix and she puts in an impressive performance here. Marlee Maitlin is her deaf mom, Troy Kotsur her deaf dad and Daniel Durant her deaf brother. All three actors are deaf. The movie is set in Gloucester, MA, and the family are fishermen. Ruby helps out, going out at 3:00 AM to fish, then going to school. She struggles at school, socially and academically. She faces tremendous pressure to help her family, as the only hearing person in it. She joins choir, in part due to a boy (she does sing on the boat) and finds a music teacher who tutors her and helps her explore her musical talents. But those obligations start to conflict with the demands her family places on her. It's wonderful movie really. Touching, moving and the acting is really good across the board. As a hearing impaired person I had wanted to see it and it exceeded my expectations. Ms. Jones is on the radar now for future stardom.
The scene where her parents go see her perform was incredible.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody watch "Deep Water" on Hulu? Stars Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas. Weird movie, didn't really make sense to me. Based on a book, maybe there's some stuff they left out? Anyway they are an unhappily married couple, she cheats constantly, doesn't remotely try to hide it, parades her boyfriends around in front of him and all their friends. So he kills them. Not sure how he gets away with it, he's not particularly clever about it. Not sure why they don't just divorce. Oh, I think I just answered that question, thanks to watching many episodes of "Pitch Meeting."

Producer Guy--Why don't they just get a divorce?
Writer Guy--Because then there wouldn't be a movie.

I like Lil Rel Howery, but he seems like he's in the wrong movie.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A Most Wanted Man. 2014. The revival of a modern cold war has my itching a bit for Cold War era espionage movies. This one is based on a John LeCarre novel, but isn't Cold War but the post 9/11 war on terror instead. It was (I believe) Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last leading role. He is really very good as a German intelligence guy who runs a team that bends the rules a bit. He takes a nuanced approach and tries to treat people fairly. That puts him at odds with the main intelligence service in Germany, which takes its lead from the CIA. Willem DeFoe plays a banker pulled into certain events. Rachel McAdam (looks lovely) is a young idealistic lawyer who represents asylum seekers, including a Chechen guy who pops up on some lists. It's a solid movie.

I'm going to try to work through some more of the actual cold war espionage thrillers. I don't think you top Tinker, Tailor, but Tailor of Panama is on the list to rewatch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just my opinion. You can't make a bad movie when you are able to point the camera at Ana de Armas.
At the very least, you may not notice that the movie is bad.

CL82

Reaction Score
I enjoyed CODA. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I didn’t recognize Marlee Matlin.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Smokin‘ Aces. Needed something. Found this. Epic cast. Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Andy Garcia, Jeremy Piven, Chris Pine, and like 15 more people you’ll recognize. Funny, interesting and bloody. Wayne Newton is in this movie. Alicia Keys is there, knew she can sing, but…DAMN. Even when you think you’ve figured it out there are twists you didn’t figure out. Great moment between Reynolds and Liota who are FBI, talking about plastic surgery. Reynolds jokes about washed up Hollywood actors, and Liotta (who has had a lot done) says that it’s not that bad. Just a hint of the tone here. It’s not Guy Ritchie, but that’s the basic idea.

Tried to watch Star Trek Discovery and Paramount+ would not load. This was my consolation prize.

Reaction Score
The kid nails Ryan Reynolds as a child to a TEE

Reaction Score
Smokin‘ Aces. Needed something. Found this. Epic cast. Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Andy Garcia, Jeremy Piven, Chris Pine, and like 15 more people you’ll recognize. Funny, interesting and bloody. Wayne Newton is in this movie. Alicia Keys is there, knew she can sing, but…DAMN. Even when you think you’ve figured it out there are twists you didn’t figure out. Great moment between Reynolds and Liota who are FBI, talking about plastic surgery. Reynolds jokes about washed up Hollywood actors, and Liotta (who has had a lot done) says that it’s not that bad. Just a hint of the tone here. It’s not Guy Ritchie, but that’s the basic idea.

Tried to watch Star Trek Discovery and Paramount+ would not load. This was my consolation prize.
I enjoyed it. Not for everyone. It's a crazy mess done well. It's really a back comedy with a ton of death and destruction. The cast is insane also including Ben Affleck, Common, Peter Berg, Jason Bateman, Joel Edgerton.

CL82

Reaction Score
People like us (2012)

When you have a movie with Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks, and Michelle Pfeiffer you know you stand a pretty decent chance of it being solid. Chris Pine is a fast talking commodities broker, Who has piled up debts and in need of money. Think Tom Cruise in Rain Man. His father, with whom he had no significant relationship, dies, and though he really doesn’t want to go to the funeral, he does because he feels as if he can’t not go in front of his girlfriend. He ends up arriving late, after all but a few guests have left.

The next day his father’s attorney meets with him to tell him that he has inherited his father’s prodigious record collection, and the obligation to give his dad’s shaving kit which is filled with rolls totaling $150,000 to an individual he’s never heard of. He finds out that that individual is an 11 year old boy and his mother is his half-sister who he never knew about. He’s faced with the decision whether or not to give them the money or even to let them know who he is.

Yeah, you’ve probably seen similar stories to this, but the quality cast makes it a worthwhile watch. The whole FTC subplot is a little weird because it never really goes anywhere, but overall it’s a good watch.

CL82

Reaction Score
Multiverse (2019)

No, not the Multiverse of Madness. Stumbled onto this. It was pretty bad. No, not Alien Origins bad, but pretty mediocre. The plan is your basic for plucky youths figure out how to move between universes, by accident. The problem is only one of each version can survive in any given universe. In a “twist“ you will see from a mile away they abandon the whole multi-verse thing and they end up with a time paradox thing. The only upside Marlee Matlin is in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom