Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just saw Spider-Man No Way Home. I won’t throw out spoilers, but I think they’re pretty much all new now anyway. I will say the Doctor Strange and Spider-Man interaction was pretty good. Marvelous at its best when it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not one to criticize, I pick some questionable movies myself. But if I see Bruce Willis in the credits, I am NOT watching it. He churns out about 1 straight to video/streaming movie a month it seems like. You couldn't pay me to watch any of his recent offerings.

Reaction Score
Saw Where the Crawdads Sing in the local theater today. Well cast and loyal to the book; good not great. Could have done a bit more with the story imo; didn't seem as dramatic, moving or suspenseful as the book, and a few key moments were omitted.
I also saw Where the Crawdads Sing last night at a local theater, probably my first time at a theater in three years.

I try to avoid seeing movie adaptations of books that I've read because I don't want it interfering with the imagery I've created (for example, The Giver or The Great Gatsby), but I love watching almost anything to do with marshlands (I see you, Outer Banks) and its plot driven coming-of-age character study lends itself well to the big screen.

It is one of those movies that felt so-so until the last ~ thirty minutes when everything clicked. Daisy Edgar-Jones was great as the lead character as I felt consistent sympathy to her. The warmth and parental care of the lawyer and the storeowners left me fighting back tears while my wife cried probably twenty different times throughout the movie. I did like how Jumpin' was a more prominent character in the movie.

Overall, I liked it. Good story, good acting, good characters and I was in love with the cinematography, capturing the light of the marshlands excellently.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I also saw Where the Crawdads Sing last night at a local theater, probably my first time at a theater in three years.

I try to avoid seeing movie adaptations of books that I've read because I don't want it interfering with the imagery I've created (for example, The Giver or The Great Gatsby), but I love watching almost anything to do with marshlands (I see you, Outer Banks) and its plot driven coming-of-age character study lends itself well to the big screen.

It is one of those movies that felt so-so until the last ~ thirty minutes when everything clicked. Daisy Edgar-Jones was great as the lead character as I felt consistent sympathy to her. The warmth and parental care of the lawyer and the storeowners left me fighting back tears while my wife cried probably twenty different times throughout the movie. I did like how Jumpin' was a more prominent character in the movie.

Overall, I liked it. Good story, good acting, good characters and I was in love with the cinematography, capturing the light of the marshlands excellently.
Did you read the book?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw Nope in the local theater this evening. I knew nothing going in other than having seen the trailer, which is pretty vague, so I don’t want to give any spoilers and I’m not even going to describe what it’s about.

It is more of a suspense movie, like Close Encounters… or Jaws, than horror movie or thriller—although it definitely has an edge and delivers some thrills and awe. And some humor. And great cinematography. And casting. And acting.

Very well done imo. Restrained but also provocative. Peele’s pretty brilliant.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kill Me Three Times. 2014. Hadn't seen it, so whatever. Simon Pegg, the lovely Teresa Palmer (who is pregnant I suspect or just had a baby), Alice Braga (Brazilian), Luke Hemsworth, Bryan Brown and other Aussies. It is set in a small seaside town in Western Australia. Beautiful scenery. It reminds me slightly of Blood Simple (first Coen Brother movie). It's a whole bunch of folks, all of whom may or may not be in the process of screwing each other over, and yes, killing each other. It doesn't capture the tension of Blood Simple, but it gets some of the humor. Ultimately, it's just ok though. Wife gave up half-way through. She hates movies with no story arc, and this is one of those. It bounces around until you piece together what everyone is doing, yet none of them know what everyone is doing.
Hadn't seen Brown in anything in years. He was pretty awful in this one. The movie is indeed a mess. Pegg was OK as a villain. I spent much of the 2nd half trying to figure out if the dentist was going to have enough to pay off all his debts after paying off everyone who was blackmailing him. Not that it mattered in the end.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
"The Gray Man." Netflix threw a lot of money and plenty of star power at this one. Loud, chaotic, high body count. It's fairly good, but nothing exceptional or groundbreaking. Ana de Armas' character from the last James Bond wandered over and got to be onscreen for a whole lot more than 5 minutes or whatever ridiculously small amount of time the geniuses behind Bond allowed her. If you thought Chris Evans went against character in Knives Out, multiply that times about 1000.

Just finished The Gray Man. Meh. I've never thought Chris Evans to be a very good actor, and he did nothing in this movie to convince me otherwise. Throwing a mustache on a super hero hoping viewers would forget Captain America, didn't work.

If there's a sequel, the girl will be 7.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just finished The Gray Man. Meh. I've never thought Chris Evans to be a very good actor, and he did nothing in this movie to convince me otherwise. Throwing a mustache on a super hero hoping viewers would forget Captain America, didn't work.

If there's a sequel, the girl will be 7.
I watched it last night and was entertained. I thought the action was pretty exciting (even if it was completely unrealistic in every way, shape and form). I also thought Gosling played his character pretty cool, never panicking no matter how crazy the surroundings. I think it's worth the watch if you like loud, frantic action flicks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
12 Strong (2018). Thor fights the Taliban on horseback. Now, I've never watched a Thor movie, and that's about all I know about Chris Hemsworth, so I wasn't expecting much. But I enjoyed this one. It's a good war movie, plenty of action, and some good insights about the difficulties of fighting in Afghanistan. Only grossed $44 million (and hard to believe it only cost Bruckenheimer $35 mill to make given all the explosions and SFX, and making New Mexico look like Afghanistan). Based on a true story, with obvious creative license, of what was the first battle between US forces (allied with a warlord) vs the Taliban. It got so-so reviews, but I found it a good watch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
12 Strong (2018). Thor fights the Taliban on horseback. Now, I've never watched a Thor movie, and that's about all I know about Chris Hemsworth, so I wasn't expecting much. But I enjoyed this one. It's a good war movie, plenty of action, and some good insights about the difficulties of fighting in Afghanistan. Only grossed $44 million (and hard to believe it only cost Bruckenheimer $35 mill to make given all the explosions and SFX, and making New Mexico look like Afghanistan). Based on a true story, with obvious creative license, of what was the first battle between US forces (allied with a warlord) vs the Taliban. It got so-so reviews, but I found it a good watch.
I agree it was pretty solid really. They told a real story that was compelling on its own and it never went over the top.

The Thor movies are good by the way. I honestly think Marvel’s interpretation of Asgard and the whole Norse pantheon is really very clever. They somehow actually make it work.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Thor movies are good by the way. I honestly think Marvel’s interpretation of Asgard and the whole Norse pantheon is really very clever. They somehow actually make it work.
How so? Don’t get me wrong, since they switched to a more humorous vein in Thor Ragnarok, I have enjoyed them. I’m just not sure what you mean.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I agree it was pretty solid really. They told a real story that was compelling on its own and it never went over the top.

Tell me I can watch a Thor movie that has nothing to do with the whole "Marvel metaverse" and I might give it a try.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tell me I can watch a Thor movie that has nothing to do with the whole "Marvel metaverse" and I might give it a try.
The first one doesn't involve anybody else from the Marvel universe.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I watched it last night and was entertained. I thought the action was pretty exciting (even if it was completely unrealistic in every way, shape and form). I also thought Gosling played his character pretty cool, never panicking no matter how crazy the surroundings. I think it's worth the watch if you like loud, frantic action flicks.

CL82

Reaction Score
The first one doesn't involve anybody else from the Marvel universe.
It also isn’t all that good a movie.

Thor Ragnarok only tangentially involves the Marvel universe, and is a funny and well paced film. If @storrsroars wants to try one as a stand-alone film, that would be the one that I would recommend.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So does this mean Ryan Reynolds has become too expensive to cast for Netflix? After watching The Gray Man, my main takeaway was that pretty much all Gosling was doing was a slightly less droll imitation of Reynolds.

CL82

Reaction Score
So does this mean Ryan Reynolds has become too expensive to cast for Netflix? After watching The Gray Man, my main takeaway was that pretty much all Gosling was doing was a slightly less droll imitation of Reynolds.
Wait, they aren’t the same guy?

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Funny. I was thinking the same thing when I watched it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
NOPE 2022. Last night at the cinema. See this on a big screen. This is a really well made film. I think I had forgotten what that looked like. Even before any action occurs, the cinematography, writing and acting is really very good. Peele has a bright future. He uses spaces and camera angles very well. Shades of what Spielberg did in Jaws (with much owed to Hitchcock). Don't want to give anything away but my whole family loved this one. Tension builds and just keeps swelling as things are revealed. The most horrifying moments come in flashbacks. Steve Yeun (Glen from Walking Dead) is good in a supporting role centered on a story within the story. Both leads are terrific. The name makes sense once you see it and is quite clever. This is going to hold up for quite a while. Go see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom