Rebounding next year. | The Boneyard

Rebounding next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are we in trouble? We lost our top two rebounders in Bazz and DD. NG was very crafty and while he did not grab great numbers he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

I think our ability to rebound int he NCAAs really made a huge difference and looking at next year it feels like we might be starting from square one.

Problem?

WE ARE DOOMED!

Reaction Score
If we're playing Hamilton at the 4 in a wicked small lineup, it will be a problem. If we are going to a more traditional lineup with two bigs, our rebounding should be a little better. It was not DD's strength - so in between having a better natural rebounder at the 4 and 5s another year older, wiser, and stronger, we should be a better rebounding team and not need to have our point guard leading us (instead of leaking out on the break). But Purvis and Samuel are strong kids that can get in there and mix it up and replace some of the backcourt rebounding that Bazz gave us.

Boat will also snark up a lot of long rebounds with his quickness to the ball. He got a lot of hungry rebounds in the tourney.

We won't be Thabeet-Adrien-Sticks across the frontline, of course, but I expect we won't be overwhelmed like we were at times in the last two years.

Reaction Score
No this will be a better rebounding team than last year overall………Boat had some big rebounds in the tourney and can and will rebound - Rodney got 3 as a frosh and will get more than that next year and DHam has a nice for the ball you can tell………Phil and Amida will both be stronger and better and Rock will add some size as well as Kentan who will get more minutes. TSam is a big kid as well as Sam Jr so they will rebound fine as guards………will it be a stong rebounding team? Probably not but I think they'll be fine.

Reaction Score
If we're playing Hamilton at the 4 in a wicked small lineup, it will be a problem. If we are going to a more traditional lineup with two bigs, our rebounding should be a little better. It was not DD's strength - so in between having a better natural rebounder at the 4 and 5s another year older, wiser, and stronger, we should be a better rebounding team and not need to have our point guard leading us (instead of leaking out on the break).

I actually thought DD was decent on the glass, especially late game when it mattered most (though Facey and Rock may certainly end up being better).

The biggest issue last year was our centers. Nolan improved his boxing out and positioning over the course of the year but still needs to get a lot better at reading the ball off the rim and going to get it. Brimah lacked strength and went for too many long-range blocks when he should have stayed home for the board.

I think next year's rebounding outlook depends mostly on the degree of improvement from AB and PN.

Reaction Score
I actually thought DD was decent on the glass, especially late game when it mattered most (though Facey and Rock may certainly end up being better).

The biggest issue last year was our centers. Nolan improved his boxing out and positioning over the course of the year but still needs to get a lot better at reading the ball off the rim and going to get it. Brimah lacked strength and went for too many long-range blocks when he should have stayed home for the board.

I think next year's rebounding outlook depends mostly on the degree of improvement from AB and PN.

Yeah reading the ball off the rim was huge issue with both Phil and Amida……..that is somewhat more of a natural ability and harder to learn but with time hopefully both become better. Also AB allowed himself to somehow end up out of position on both ends, under the hoop a lot and not always because he was bullied there either. His all around knowledge of the game needs to improve and I believe it will but the summer off and not plain gin games was a detriment to his growth. Having said that I think they both improve at least a couple boards each!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
It's still going to be rebounding-by-committee, since I suspect Brimah will once again have free rein to try to block anything in or around the paint. It makes sense to let him do that, since protecting the rim is a surefire way to be a pretty good college basketball team even if everything else goes wrong.

Here's the problem, though: because all 5 of our guys had to crash last year, that meant we were a very deliberate, non-running offensive team. This worked out because we had two top ball-handlers, three absolute snipers from long range (Bazz, DD & Niels) and a fourth (Boat) who was pretty good. We were built to spread the floor and kill you in the halfcourt.

In 2014, we're not going to shoot it as well, so our spacing is not going to be great (unless Hamilton is Ray reincarnated and Facey turns into Kevin Love). That's one big factor that will make it harder for us in a slow-down, halfcourt game - the type we'll pretty much have to play if we're rebounding with 5.

It's a neat series of problems for KO to figure out. I've got confidence, but let me put it this way: I actually wagered on UConn to win the national title last year, and not once did I feel like it was a longshot.

This year I won't be repeating that bet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not worried. Our bigs will grab a few more. Our guards are a heady lot, those guys seem to find the ball. I'd like to see Omar grab more and fill the Giffey role completely.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Almost everyone in the thread is forgetting Lubin.

I believe that's what he's here for.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Boatright and Purvis average 10 per game between them.

Reaction Score

And Rodney?! The kid is an absolute bull and a freak of an athlete. Wouldn't be surprised if he has Bazz-like rebounding numbers this season.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score

I wish I knew something about this kid.. Hope hes what I seen in my dreams the other night when UCONN went for the back to back

Reaction Score

Lubin is a lot like AB- we will not know what we have until he hits the floor. I think KO said "we found him just like we found AB". From what I have heard the kids does not lack confidence - KO said he is going to have to "come back down to earth" as far as where he sees his skill set in college- but I would rather have someone like that @ Boat/Bazz then someone that we have to build up mentally.

If he can play D and take up room without fouling - grab some boards- he will be very helpful- I imagine his offensive game is going to need work and will take a year or two to adjust the the speed and size of the college game. But you never know- he could be another Jeff A- he sure looks tough enough.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lubin is a lot like AB- we will not know what we have until he hits the floor. I think KO said "we found him just like we found AB". From what I have heard the kids does not lack confidence - KO said he is going to have to "come back down to earth" as far as where he sees his skill set in college- but I would rather have someone like that @ Boat/Bazz then someone that we have to build up mentally.

If he can play D and take up room without fouling - grab some boards- he will be very helpful- I imagine his offensive game is going to need work and will take a year or two to adjust the the speed and size of the college game. But you never know- he could be another Jeff A- he sure looks tough enough.

I'm hoping Lubin's past his back injuries, injury is what slowed down AB last year.

Reaction Score
That's why he fell off the radar but I thought the issue was in his junior year and that he started playing better again last year.

Reaction Score
I don't see Lubin contributing enough to factor into the rebounding picture. He'll be like Facey last year -- insane rebounding rate over the paltry minutes he's actually on the floor.

A lot of our rebounding success will be predicated on Nolan and Brimah playing confidently, intelligently, and assertively. Facey would be an improvement over DD in pure rebounding instincts, but is he good enough to deserve major minutes? Is Daniel Hamilton willing to mix it up on the glass?

If Nolan is ready to look the part of a high-major, D-I center, I think our rebounding will be improved.

Reaction Score
Agree that rebounding will be fine. Hopefully Brimah's shoulder will feel better. Nolan has gained weight. Both will be more experienced. Facey seemed tenacious at the boards in his limited time, although like Daniels, is thin and will now have to contest first string PF's. I don't expect Lubin to come in right away and own the block but he certainly has the muscle that has been lacking. I believe D-Ham was one of St. Bosco's top rebounders and played the lane on D. Purvis is a bull, Boatright is sneaky, T-Sam has size and Omar and Cassell will snatch their share. Pound for pound I think it's a bigger team, but the committee will have to show. The 3 and 4 guard line-ups will have to find the crevices. At least they won't be watching Harrell's putbacks.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It would be awesome if Lubin came in and proved to be a quick learner, very hard worker, able to learn to play solid defense over the course of the year. Maybe make a splash in the post-season with some solid play, like some Kirk King highlight moments. If we are getting killed on the boards by stronger players, Rakim could be a key contributor. I will wait and see rather than assume that he won't be able to contribute at all this year. Of course, it would be normal and expected if that he would need a year or more to become ready to play at such a high level, it's just fun to imagine a nice surprise.

Reaction Score
Hopefully a coach (strength) will covince them that their feet must leave the floor. Had they done that last year, the board count would have been astro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom