OT: - Realignment? | Page 41 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Discovery is more than just the GOR and ESPN contract. It’s bringing out the dirt on each other. Each side knows what the other has. Does the ACC want that? Does ESPN want that? Do the universities want that? Who stands to lose the he most? Nobody wants this to go to discovery. It’s why if someone wants to go, they will be able to negotiate their way out. The settlement will be huge, but a lawsuit will never get to discovery. Look at the UMD/ACC lawsuit. Settled before discovery.
As I said in another thread there were many posters on the BY who were anxious to see what exactly ESPN & ACC did behind the scenes as the Big East was being systemically dismantled.

Settling with Maryland stopped any of that discovery from happening and becoming public.

If there are skeletons there, it would make sense for both ESPN & the ACC to figure a way to keep them hidden

Reaction Score
[the ACC] Settling with Maryland stopped any of that discovery from happening and becoming public.
Does anyone know what the business terms of the ACC/ UMaryland settlement were?
Had UMaryland sign the GOR?

Thank you.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the business terms of the ACC/ UMaryland settlement were?
Had UMaryland sign the GOR?

Thank you.

They didn’t sign the GOR, but the exit fees were very high. That’s what was negotiated.

Reaction Score
They didn’t sign the GOR, but the exit fees were very high. That’s what was negotiated.
They got out for about .60 on the dollar

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And PAC12 hoops is shot without USC/UCLA/Oregon. They needs teams to backfill there. Maybe SD State and Fresno for all sports, and Gonzaga, St. Mary's for hoops only. Not sure if Big 12 moves on PAC teams or how many from the PAC would want out. If they lose AZ AZ St and Colorado PAC is done. I don't think we're number 4 in that or any scenario for the Big12. I think people are underestimating their position.
Nope. Not happening.

Reaction Score
And PAC12 hoops is shot without USC/UCLA/Oregon. They needs teams to backfill there. Maybe SD State and Fresno for all sports, and Gonzaga, St. Mary's for hoops only. Not sure if Big 12 moves on PAC teams or how many from the PAC would want out. If they lose AZ AZ St and Colorado PAC is done. I don't think we're number 4 in that or any scenario for the Big12. I think people are underestimating their position.

I mean this politely. But I am writing the next sentence in the sky in glowing orange smoke so that you don’t have to waste any further thought.

BASKETBALL DOESN’T MATTER

Reaction Score
You don’t have to break the GOR, just negotiate your way out. I’ll say this again, does the ACC really want this to go into discovery?

No. It will all get settled out of court, behind closed doors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I mean this politely. But I am writing the next sentence in the sky in glowing orange smoke so that you don’t have to waste any further thought.

BASKETBALL DOESN’T MATTER

We are one small technological advancement of CTE being diagnosable in kids from football disappearing from about half the country. But let's double down on football.

Reaction Score
We are one small technological advancement of CTE being diagnosable in kids from football disappearing from about half the country. But let's double down on football.

More likely that we’ll ban smoking. It’s not like we stop doing things because of negative health effects.

Nobody is saying double down on football. When it comes to Consolidation, Football is what matters.

Nobody is sitting around figuring out how to get UConn. They know how to reach us. Saying that the PAC 12 wants us for Basketball is just Copium.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
More likely that we’ll ban smoking. It’s not like we stop doing things because of negative health effects.

Nobody is saying double down on football. When it comes to Consolidation, Football is what matters.

Nobody is sitting around figuring out how to get UConn. They know how to reach us. Saying that the PAC 12 wants us for Basketball is just Copium.

Actually, broadcast rights is why there is consolidation, although no one has shown me a clear model for why the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma or why the Big 10 added UCLA and USC. Both conferences were already printing money and didn't need far flung problem children added to their membership.

The only logical case for adding those schools would be that the SEC and Big 10 are attempting to box out the rest of the conferences completely. I think that will fail spectacularly and blow up college sports in the process, but it would explain why those 4 schools were added.

12.5% of Americans smoke cigarettes, and that trends older. That number crossed under 40% in 1977. Cigarette use has been trending down for decades. People do stop things once they realize they are dangerous.

Cigarettes are an addictive and heavily marketed product. Football is not really either of those things. I am willing to bet that when data shows that half of 15 years olds that played football have early signs of CTE, the sports popularity, which has been waning, will fall off a cliff. People might still be willing to watch others smash their heads in, but without the youth support, interest in college football and the NFL is going to decline.

Football participation has dropped 6.5% in the last 12 years. Will that trend accelerate or decelerate?

Reaction Score
Actually, broadcast rights is why there is consolidation, although no one has shown me a clear model for why the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma or why the Big 10 added UCLA and USC. Both conferences were already printing money and didn't need far flung problem children added to their membership.

The only logical case for adding those schools would be that the SEC and Big 10 are attempting to box out the rest of the conferences completely. I think that will fail spectacularly and blow up college sports in the process, but it would explain why those 4 schools were added.

12.5% of Americans smoke cigarettes, and that trends older. That number crossed under 40% in 1977. Cigarette use has been trending down for decades. People do stop things once they realize they are dangerous.

Cigarettes are an addictive and heavily marketed product. Football is not really either of those things. I am willing to bet that when data shows that half of 15 years olds that played football have early signs of CTE, the sports popularity, which has been waning, will fall off a cliff. People might still be willing to watch others smash their heads in, but without the youth support, interest in college football and the NFL is going to decline.

Football participation has dropped 6.5% in the last 12 years. Will that trend accelerate or decelerate?

Wow, you must be a lot of fun at parties!

So now we're back to CTE? It seems like years since you were on this soapbox.

In the years since you last touted this being the end of football:

The NFL signed a new 11 year contract that pays them $110B over the life of the contract

The SEC signed a new 10 year deal starting in 2024 - this was before the UT/OU add

The B1G was reported to be close to signing a deal that would pay the $1B/year before USC/UCLA - this number will increase

So while you may be right that CTE is the end of football there are a lot of very smart people betting against it

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow, you must be a lot of fun at parties!

So now we're back to CTE? It seems like years since you were on this soapbox.

In the years since you last touted this being the end of football:

The NFL signed a new 11 year contract that pays them $110B over the life of the contract

The SEC signed a new 10 year deal starting in 2024 - this was before the UT/OU add

The B1G was reported to be close to signing a deal that would pay the $1B/year before USC/UCLA - this number will increase

So while you may be right that CTE is the end of football there are a lot of very smart people betting against it

Let’s make a list of all the unhealthy things that we keep doing. You don’t even need to get political.

His heart is in the right place but there are still tons of people playing and watching football. And technology, medical and safety advancements will improve the safety.

Reaction Score
Syracuse never delivered New York market. Gee who could have helped with that. Couldn’t happen to a nicer conference.

Reaction Score
There is only one Northeast state where you see big fanbase statewide like you see in the south or the Midwest. And that’s Pennsylvania. Connecticut might be like that too or close to it someday. New England’s teams are the Pats and the Red Sox.

Reaction Score
There is only one Northeast state where you see big fanbase statewide like you see in the south or the Midwest. And that’s Pennsylvania. Connecticut might be like that too or close to it someday. New England’s teams are the Pats and the Red Sox.
I think Connecticut is like that to a point but a. It is small and b. We haven’t been successful of late.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Fanbase? I don’t think so.
If UCONN can win regularly, I believe people will show up for the game. If someday UCONN can win against teams like Michigan or PSU, then the fanbase will really show up. People got to believe a vision like this since it is definitely possible.

Reaction Score
If UCONN can win regularly, I believe people will show up for the game. If someday UCONN can win against teams like Michigan or PSU, then the fanbase will really show up. People got to believe a vision like this since it is definitely possible.
If we are successful, we have the land to expand. I'm not sure if we should stay independent or if the B1G comes calling we should join them. I don't believe that the B1G will be calling in 2 years.

However, I believe you might see more Indy FB teams if 2 conferences disband because they got raided. (ACC and Big12?).

I think those are the least stable, especially if ND leaves. If ND leaves and UVA both join the B1G and the SEC steals UNC and GaTech, do you think they'd invite Liberty? I think you'll see a few realignment that will surprise you. By 2026, the Big12 and the ACC will be no more...

Reaction Score
If we are successful, we have the land to expand. I'm not sure if we should stay independent or if the B1G comes calling we should join them. I don't believe that the B1G will be calling in 2 years.

However, I believe you might see more Indy FB teams if 2 conferences disband because they got raided. (ACC and Big12?).

I think those are the least stable, especially if ND leaves. If ND leaves and UVA both join the B1G and the SEC steals UNC and GaTech, do you think they'd invite Liberty? I think you'll see a few realignment that will surprise you. By 2026, the Big12 and the ACC will be no more...
Land was never the problem. No roads to get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom