OT: - Realignment? | Page 62 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
There is such a vast range in the ACC over investment in the football program...

It was pointed out that FSU, if in the SEC or the Big Ten, and if all media monies were eliminated, would be #3 in both conferences in revenue...from licensing, booster donations, etc.

I suspect, that over time, the extra media revenue will weigh in on other sports as well...

With NIL and the courts possibly ruling athletes as employees, it may be soon that monied schools can hire the best athletes.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
There is such a vast range in the ACC over investment in the football program...

It was pointed out that FSU, if in the SEC or the Big Ten, and if all media monies were eliminated, would be #3 in both conferences in revenue...from licensing, booster donations, etc.

I suspect, that over time, the extra media revenue will weigh in on other sports as well...

With NIL and the courts possibly ruling athletes as employees, it may be soon that monied schools can hire the best athletes.
I’m sorry, but I don’t buy the #3 statement.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious,why didn't FSU just join the SEC or B1G instead of remaining in the ACC and signing off on the GOR? It would have saved you an awful lot of complaining.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but I don’t buy the #3 statement.

The court is already talking favorably about declaring athletes as employees....

"To put it mildly, the panel regarded the NCAA’s core principle that college athletes shouldn’t be paid as unpersuasive and incongruous, and the judges signaled they view college athletes as employees.

While judges can be hard to predict, the tea leaves suggest the Third Circuit will return the case to Padova, who will oversee discovery. The NCAA would then be faced with a crucial decision: Does it continue to play defense, knowing that an eventual loss—maybe in 2024 or 2025 or later—seems likely, or does it try to cut a deal and radically change its rules to allow for pay? "

Things change...and are changing. if you had said 15 years back that college football players would be earning from 15k to over a a million per year playing college ball, we'd hoot....now we do have that in NIL.

I never thought that Alabama would be a top basketball team. Nor pay their basketball coach $5 million per year

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
I'm curious,why didn't FSU just join the SEC or B1G instead of remaining in the ACC and signing off on the GOR? It would have saved you an awful lot of complaining.
They hadn't been invited.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Schedule all OOC games with the SEC and B1G, and play cupcakes the rest of the season.?

Reaction Score
I believe that conference realignment is settling in to be between media groups.

A war for eyeballs, if you will.

There are just so many time slots available to televise audience-attractive football matches.

CBS, Fox, NBC will be loading up their slots with attractive Big Ten matches...they have augmented with the California duo and are still wooing Notre Dame.

ESPN's family and ABC also will be putting up their most watchable matches in competition. They have hauled in Oklahoma and Texas.

In the battle for eyeballs, less watchable matches will be relegated. Play under the rays of a weaker sun.

Reaction Score
I’m not not sure, but I do remember Boston College, Syracuse and NC State all playing us last year?
Yes, but I thought you were saying each ACC team would load up on SEC, B1G, and cupcakes to the point of not being able to fit all their ACC game obligations. Seems you didn't mean it that way?

Reaction Score
These guys are based in Utah. Not sure how reliable their sources are, but if the sources are accurate, the PAC 12 is in serious, serious trouble. All sources they quote are from today (Friday, March 3). Summary of the discussions:

Sources: PAC 12 "In Deep Water" at $22 million per season, per school. ESPN will not pay for SDSU or SMU to join the conference. ESPN will not pay for any PAC 12 expansion without their consent. PAC 12 only has a guarantee of 1 game on Amazon and 1 game on ESPN. 1 game Friday night (Amazon) and 1 game Saturday night (ESPN) guaranteed. ESPN has the option to add a second game to bring the conference to 3 games per week in the weeks ESPN opts to add the second game. 5 year deal.

Athletic and CBS Sports: 4 Corner Schools talking to Big 12. I won't expand here since there are already other posts about this.

Sources: BYU is working with Utah on Big 12 invitation. BYU is working behind the scenes with the Big 12 to make this happen. The current hurdle is the Utah top administrators do not want to be associated academically with the Big 12. Everyone associated with Utah athletically, including head football coach, want to join the Big 12. Much of the show is spent dogging the Utah admin for being too snobby and looking down at the Big 12 schools. They talk about Utah being screwed when the schools Utah wants associated with - Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal - end up in the B1G. If the Big 12 expands without Utah, Utah has nowhere to go. Arizona is interested in joining the Big 12.

Sources: Big 12 using relationships to "pave the way" for expansion. It's a lot of backchanneling (like BYU talking to Utah) and it's not a direct contact from the Big 12 talking to the schools. Past relationships Colorado used to have in the Big 12 are talking with Colorado. The PAC 12 is splintered and they are having a "Hail Mary" meeting at the PAC 12 Conference Tournament in Las Vegas.

They discuss ESPN and FOX not being rivals, but working together. They bring up ESPN's app plan to show all sporting events on the ESPN app and then sending a cut of revenue shares ESPN receives to whoever owns the media rights to what is airing based on the number of viewers using the ESPN app to watch it.

Reaction Score
Tony Altimore had a neat chart on one of the YouTube shows. Best TV ratings - PAC 12/Big 12/ACC. I'm not sure if this was just from the past season or what. I'm guessing it was from just this past season because I don't see Louisville having more viewers than Clemson long term.

1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Louisville
4. Washington
5. Clemson
6. Miami
7. Virginia Tech
8. Washington State
9. Oklahoma State
10. Utah
11. Virginia
12. Kansas State
13. Georgia Tech
14. Oregon State
15. Syracuse
16. West Virginia
17. Stanford
18. North Carolina State
19. Baylor
20. Pittsburgh
21. Arizona State
22. TCU
23. Boston College
24. Texas Tech
25. Iowa State
26. California
27. BYU
28. Duke
29. Wake Forest
30. Colorado
31. Arizona
32. Cincinnati
33. North Carolina
34. Kansas
35. UCF
36. Houston

Reaction Score
Tony Altimore had a neat chart on one of the YouTube shows. Best TV ratings - PAC 12/Big 12/ACC. I'm not sure if this was just from the past season or what. I'm guessing it was from just this past season because I don't see Louisville having more viewers than Clemson long term.

1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Louisville
4. Washington
5. Clemson
6. Miami
7. Virginia Tech
8. Washington State
9. Oklahoma State
10. Utah
11. Virginia
12. Kansas State
13. Georgia Tech
14. Oregon State
15. Syracuse
16. West Virginia
17. Stanford
18. North Carolina State
19. Baylor
20. Pittsburgh
21. Arizona State
22. TCU
23. Boston College
24. Texas Tech
25. Iowa State
26. California
27. BYU
28. Duke
29. Wake Forest
30. Colorado
31. Arizona
32. Cincinnati
33. North Carolina
34. Kansas
35. UCF
36. Houston
Agreed - surprised Louisville is that high. Other surprises: BC being that high and BYU that low.

Reaction Score

1. Florida State
2. Oregon
3. Louisville
4. Washington
5. Clemson
6. Miami
7. Virginia Tech
8. Washington State
9. Oklahoma State
10. Utah
11. Virginia
12. Kansas State
13. Georgia Tech
14. Oregon State
15. Syracuse
16. West Virginia
17. Stanford
18. North Carolina State
19. Baylor
20. Pittsburgh
21. Arizona State
22. TCU
23. Boston College
24. Texas Tech
25. Iowa State
26. California
27. BYU
28. Duke
29. Wake Forest
30. Colorado
31. Arizona
32. Cincinnati
33. North Carolina
34. Kansas
35. UCF
36. Houston
Funny how perceptions change. No one cared about Cincy, Houston or UCF. They go to the Big 12 and suddenly the Big 12 is all they way back. All the PAC has to do is hold together and poach Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas and the tables turn.

Reaction Score
Funny how perceptions change. No one cared about Cincy, Houston or UCF. They go to the Big 12 and suddenly the Big 12 is all they way back. All the PAC has to do is hold together and poach Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas and the tables turn.
You really think those schools are going to be in the PAC one day??

Reaction Score
You really think those schools are going to be in the PAC one day??
No, of course not. The PAC has programs which have more potential to be poached but it could be the 3rd best conference for a while. On paper it makes more sense for the Kansases and Okie State to go join Arizona, Colorado and Utah than for Arizona, Colorado and Utah to join Houston, TCU and UCF. The B1G and SEC have the right recipe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom