Reaction to the call | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reaction to the call

Reaction Score
Why not? By your own admission it was a foul. Time left in a game should not matter in determining if a foul should be called.
Do you want every foul called? No need to keep time. Game end when the first team runs out of players.

You had a game where the refs were calling on egregious fours (except Caitlin’s forearm shivers),. The boom an of balll call in the last seconds.

Reaction Score
It was a foul. It should not have been called at that point of the game.

As they say in football, “holding could be called on every play.”

You don’t call an off-ball foul in the last ten seconds in a 4 point ( or less) game

The perspective of the current generation of human beings. Total entitlement. Zero honor or self-accountancy of one's actions. Everyone gets an out and a golden parachute out of errors and mistakes in life. A lottery check inside everyone's mailbox.

Once upon a time in the olden generations, making mistakes in crucial moments of games were called "boneheaded" plays, and the players who made them were packaged together in VHS video tapes by Sports Illustrated and mailed to everyone's homes at Christmas time should they have a subscription, and vilified into sports history. Now, Sports Illustrated is no more, and everyone thinks they should be allowed to make mistakes in games of physical competition, and yet STILL win as a result. The "participation" trophy is the main culprit for this group-think, in my opinion.

As long as there is an active game clock, the officials have a primary job responsibility to uphold, and it is the PLAYER'S responsibility to execute plays properly - especially in crucial moments towards final seconds of games - and if they do, perhaps they MAY win. Perhaps not. I am tired of watching one team bust their butts off to get into a position to win a hard-fought, VERY important game, only to have it ripped away from them by an opponent who did not DESERVE to win, but did so because the officials swallowed their whistles.

THEN, to have fans say "let the players decide". One particular player in THIS game actually DID decide, when Edwards decided to commit a foul, with no reason to. All the officials did, was their job.......

Even IF Edwards had NOT fouled then, the play was going NOWHERE. Auriemma drew up a still-birth play all crammed up in front of his bench. The only success that would come from it would REQUIRE a violation being committed, and the officials letting it slide by. There were STILL almost 5 seconds left to clean it up, down only 1 point. Lobo even stated it as Clark was stepping up to take her first free-throw shot: GET THE REBOUND ON THE MISSED 2ND TRY. But the CT players didn't do that. Then at the end, Clark makes a heady inbounds play directed at Beucker's derriere, and the game was over. Not really sure what would be different, had Edwards not committed the illegal screen.....

Reaction Score
Do you want every foul called? No need to keep time. Game end when the first team runs out of players.

You had a game where the refs were calling on egregious fours (except Caitlin’s forearm shivers),. The boom an of balll call in the last seconds.

Yes. Because that is how the game is supposed to be played. That would be the MOST fair and equitable adjudication of ANY competition, that would ultimately remove discussions like this one we're now having. I'm still a bit sensitive to the overtime loss to CT when Boston's arms were leaned on by Edwards' arms as Aliyah was attempting her point-blank layups at the end of regulation, that saved the game for the Huskies. OF COURSE for the fans of teams that get away with that, the response is to "let the players decide". But it is an offense to the notion of fair play in athletic endeavors. That one team fights so hard to get into position to win the game, only to have it taken away by something that according to the rules should not be allowed to happen....

Reaction Score
Yes. Because that is how the game is supposed to be played. That would be the MOST fair and equitable adjudication of ANY competition, that would ultimately remove discussions like this one we're now having. I'm still a bit sensitive to the overtime loss to CT when Boston's arms were leaned on by Edwards' arms as Aliyah was attempting her point-blank layups at the end of regulation, that saved the game for the Huskies. OF COURSE for the fans of teams that get away with that, the response is to "let the players decide". But it is an offense to the notion of fair play in athletic endeavors. That one team fights so hard to get into position to win the game, only to have it taken away by something that according to the rules should not be allowed to happen....
Ashlyn would last a minute and a half.

Reaction Score
Here's my take... and I have a long and storied history of posting on this topic, as it has always been a pet peeve of mine with my favorite men's team. ;)

Setting a pick and NOT getting called for an offensive foul is the easiest thing in the world to do. You go to the spot. You stand there. You don't move. You don't lean. You don't stick a knee out a little. Just stand still in one spot. Let the players run around you. I don't know why players routinely don't do exactly what I described. I bet you the cost-benefit of leaning (just a little) is very negative, but players do it time and time and time again.

Would I have been upset or thought it was some major officiating error, if it wasn't called? Absolutely not. Edwards didn't do much... but she did do something and all she needed to do was nothing. Kind of like an NFL DB who commits just a "little pass interference" on a key play at the end of a conference title game. Maybe the ref won't call it... but they might. You're taking a calculated risk. In this case, it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's my take... and I have a long and storied history of posting on this topic, as it has always been a pet peeve of mine with my favorite men's team. ;)

Setting a pick and NOT getting called for an offensive foul is the easiest thing in the world to do. You go to the spot. You stand there. You don't move. You don't lean. You don't stick a knee out a little. Just stand still in one spot. Let the players run around you. I don't know why players routinely don't do exactly what I described. I bet you the cost-benefit of leaning (just a little) is very negative, but players do it time and time and time again.

Would I have been upset or thought it was some major officiating error, if it wasn't called? Absolutely not. Edwards didn't do much... but she did do something and all she needed to do was nothing. Kind of like an NFL DB who commits just a "little pass interference" on a key play at the end of a conference title game. Maybe the ref won't call it... but they might. You're taking a calculated risk. In this case, it didn't work out.

It reminds me of players defending a layup or jump shot close to the basket, and they stand still with their arms straight up in the air. Or so they thought they did. They get called for the foul and then are in shock, holding their arms straight up to show that they never wavered from their principle of verticality.

But then we watch the replay, and sure enough, they lowered their arms towards the player taking the shot. But they didn't mean to, and didn't even realize that they did. It's an unconscious body reaction in the midst of frenetically competitive action. They can't help themselves. It's easier said than done.....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Screen fouls seem so arbitrary to me in both wbb and mbb. At that point in the game that far away from the basket you swallow the whistle.

They have been so inconsistent with this foul all season. I guess it all depends on how well the player sells it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom