Ranking the freshmen class so far | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ranking the freshmen class so far

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I disagree. Watkins numbers versus Hidalgo give Hidalgo the "lead" right now. Yes Watkins scored 51 but her team didn't do very much. Hidalgo's high is 35 but she has the advantage of leading a team who scores and defends from her play, plus a better shooting %, more steals, and assists. Those statistical differences yield better overall and better team performance.

But everyone has their own opinion.
In general I'd agree with you, except USC has a much more impressive resume and way more quality wins than ND thus far.

Reaction Score
There are four teams who legitimately wouldn’t trade their top freshman for any other - USC, Notre Dame, LSU, and Southern Cal.

Going to be interesting to see what each player does in their career.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting, kinda looks like against Louisville, Hidalgo was trying to carry the team a la Watkins, and it didn't work.

Reaction Score
Interesting, kinda looks like against Louisville, Hidalgo was trying to carry the team a la Watkins, and it didn't work.
I mean, if she didn't score all of points they would have lost by 15-20. Louisville did a good job of crowding Citron and Westbeld. They left KK open on the perimeter and DeWolfe, Watson, and Marshall are limited.

Reaction Score
Hannah did a pretty darn good job of keeping them in the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My point is that others have been noting that ND has had more balanced scoring and wasn't quite as dependent on Hidalgo as Watkins/USC. Except for tonight.

edit--also note Hidalgo had 1 reb/1 assist, well below her season averages, but she did get 7 steals; this is not a criticism, just not quite the typical game from her this season.

Reaction Score
At the moment, I would choose Hanna Hidalgo as Freshman of the year

But a good thing is JuJu is attracting next classes to USC for a revival

Reaction Score
The Ville played amazing defense on Hidalgo the entire game, she had little room to operate. Credit where it is due.

Reaction Score
My Iowa State Cyclone freshman duo put up great numbers last night and combined for 41 points and 25 rebounds. Houston's not a good team (actually pretty) but Brown seemed to have hit a freshman wall and had been well off her earlier numbers. Still it was a road game, albeit one in front of maybe 150 fans.

Last night:
Audi Crooks: 25 pts, 12 reb, zero TO
Addy Brown: 16 pts, 13 reb, 7 ast (7 TO on the bad side)

Crooks has moved up to #4 in scoring in the Big 12. Think it's higher for conference only but can't access Big 12 stats from where I am at to sort by conference games.

Reaction Score
My Iowa State Cyclone freshman duo put up great numbers last night and combined for 41 points and 25 rebounds. Houston's not a good team (actually pretty) but Brown seemed to have hit a freshman wall and had been well off her earlier numbers. Still it was a road game, albeit one in front of maybe 150 fans.

Last night:

Crooks has moved up to #4 in scoring in the Big 12. Think it's higher for conference only but can't access Big 12 stats from where I am at to sort by conference games.
Currently, Crooks is second in scoring in conference games at 20.1 pts per game. Booker is third at 19.6 per game. Crooks scored 24 points at Texas. And Coach Schaefer said after the game that Texas’ Jones and Gaston had played well against her!

Reaction Score
Currently, Crooks is second in scoring in conference games at 20.1 pts per game. Booker is third at 19.6 per game. Crooks scored 24 points at Texas. And Coach Schaefer said after the game that Texas’ Jones and Gaston had played well against her!

Thanks. I was wondering how they ranked in conference only games. Out of country right now and stats are the one item blocked on Big 12 sports. Weird. Had to go toe ESPN stats.

Crooks did have a good game at Texas. My reaction to Booker in that game is she should shoot more. That's a really sweet WNBA level mid-range jumper she has. I get she's trying to run point and all but I'd think she might want to lean a tad more to scoring PG than facilitating PG. Either way she is looking awesome out there.

Crooks is defying all of the conditioning and Big 12 play wearing her down talk. She just keeps get more minutes and more points. I didn't see that coming from her as a freshman, at all.

Reaction Score
@Txhoopsalot

What do you think about Big 12 freshman of the year and player of the year? Will Booker get both?

I think the coaches should collude on their voting and give Booker POY and Crooks FOY. ;)

Reaction Score
@Txhoopsalot

What do you think about Big 12 freshman of the year and player of the year? Will Booker get both?

I think the coaches should collude on their voting and give Booker POY and Crooks FOY. ;)

I could agree to this. It would help the cause if Madison had a big game to lead the Horns to victory in Norman next week! I would not even object if Crooks and Booker shared the FOY award. Either would have been a shoo-in for the award any other year in Big 12 history. I know, I have been around for all of them. I count seven freshmen that would be shoe-ins most years for the all- freshman team and 3 or 4 that would be strong candidates for FOY most years.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score

Last night:

Brown is averaging 13.3 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 5.1 apg. Using herhoopstats for WBB going back to 09-10 and sports-reference for MBB going back to 92-93, I see no other Div I freshman who averaged 13/8/5. It's incredible that she's an afterthought when it comes to conference FOY, but she has the unfortunate luck of being a freshman the same year as Booker and Crooks.

Reaction Score
Freshman Audi Crooks got Big 12 player of the week and freshman of the week.

Reaction Score
Again, another horrible take. Are you actually WATCHING LSU games? Williams is hardly "out of shape". Her defense is about what you would expect a freshman guard's defense to be. Neither Scott or Fulwiley are as efficient as Williams. She's clearly the best freshman, but on a team with three other all American caliber players, no way she will be able to put up the numbers Watkins or Scott will. She's had two below par games this week, but have you been watching the whole season? Even with those two games her efficiency is STILL better than the other two freshmen in the SEC you named. I'd say she's been everything she was advertised to be. Shooting over 50% from the field, over 45% from the three pt line, and over 90% from the FT line. What exactly are you talking about? LOL!:D:D
You make good points but all of them are centered around her shooting. I live in BR and get to see her quite a bit and I have liked her game on offense but her defense to me has been below average. I don't love the chemistry of this LSU team and maybe that has a little to do with my opinion of her play so far. She can be a difference maker in the tournament with her offense though.

Reaction Score
I’m not familiar with all of the 15 players on the list that the OP ranked. But I’d certainly include Mo Johnson of UVA if it were updated to today. One could make a case that her performance is better than KK Arnold’s. Mo leads UVA in points, assists and steals.

Reaction Score
I’m not familiar with all of the 15 players on the list that the OP ranked. But I’d certainly include Mo Johnson of UVA if it were updated to today. One could make a case that her performance is better than KK Arnold’s. Mo leads UVA in points, assists and steals.

<Meghan Andresen has entered the chat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom