Ranking the freshmen class so far | The Boneyard

Ranking the freshmen class so far

Reaction Score
One of the most impactful freshmen classes in recent memory. Ranking based on quality of play from scoring, to assists, to defense, to rebounding.

1. Juju Watkins (USC)
2. Hannah Hidalgo (ND)
3. Madison Booker (Texas)
4. Malaysia Fulwiley (SC)
5. Taliah Scott (Arkansas)
6. Zoe Brooks (NC ST)
7. Ashlynn Shade (UCONN)
8. Addy Brown (Iowa St)
9. KK Arnold (UCONN)
10. Mikaylah Williams (LSU)
11. Stailee Heard (Ok St)
12. Oluchi Okananwa (Duke)
13. S'Mya Nichols (Kansas)
14. Audi Cooks (Iowa St)
15. Kailey Woolston (BYU)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
ESPN List is:

1. Juju Watkins
2. Hannah Hidalgo
3. Mikaylah Williams
4. Taliah Scott
5. Addy Brown
6. Madison Booker
7. Milaysia Fulwiley
8. Stailee Heard
9. Zoe Brooks
10. Audi Crooks
11. Ouchi Okananwa
12. Kailey Woolston
13. S'Mya Nichols
14. Natalie Potts
15. KK Arnold

Remarkably strong class overall. The fact that you have multiple P5 freshman averaging close to 15ppg not even cracking top 10 is remarkable.

Long term I think the quartet of Watkins/Hidalgo/Fulwiley/Williams could be legendary. Watkins has unlimited potential and could be a 1st Team All American as a freshman, Hidalgo is putting up Caitlin Clark-esque numbers but adding in steals (also could be a 1st Teamer), Fulwiley is possibly the most athletic guard I've ever seen, and Williams looks like the second coming of Cappie Pondexter.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers, most of the all-star talent has been with the bigs for the prior few classes. It's good to see that a new wave of talented guard will be heading to the WNBA further down the road. I feel like the W is in need of a new crop of guards to become the face of the game and I think this group could give it that spark to take it to the next level in viewership and performance. But that's years down the road...I'm just excited for the battles to come while we have them at the college level!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
One of the most impactful freshmen classes in recent memory. Ranking based on quality of play from scoring, to assists, to defense, to rebounding.

1. Juju Watkins (USC)
2. Hannah Hidalgo (ND)
3. Madison Booker (Texas)
4. Malaysia Fulwiley (SC)
5. Taliah Scott (Arkansas)
6. Zoe Brooks (NC ST)
7. Ashlynn Shade (UCONN)
8. Addy Brown (Iowa St)
9. KK Arnold (UCONN)
10. Mikaylah Williams (LSU)
11. Stailee Heard (Ok St)
12. Oluchi Okananwa (Duke)
13. S'Mya Nichols (Kansas)
14. Audi Cooks (Iowa St)
15. Kailey Woolston (BYU)
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Reaction Score
I think Hidalgo should be on top of the list for a few reasons. She hasn't missed a game, she's playing mostly point guard so she's leading the team, the extra 3 assists and 4 steals over Watkins adds 6-14 points to her scoring line, and most importantly she's taken over the games without Citron, Prosper, Risch, and Miles.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Hidalgo should be on top of the list for a few reasons. She hasn't missed a game, she's playing mostly point guard so she's leading the team, the extra 3 assists and 4 steals over Watkins adds 6-14 points to her scoring line, and most importantly she's taken over the games without Citron, Prosper, Risch, and Miles.

She's been great, I'd go with Watkins though at this point due to her performance vs Ohio State. Neither has faced much strong competition thus far. Going into conference play, both will get ample opportunities to perform against good teams.

Reaction Score
There are clear 1 and 2, but played one game of significance, the rest of the schedule has been not good but the numbers impressive.

Reaction Score
Williams is somewhere in the middle of those two rankings.IMO #3 is too high and #10 too low at this point in the season.
Williams is decent but she is still very out of shape, she doesn't look nearly as athletic as she was in AAU. Their strength and conditioning coach dropped the ball. As of today she hasn't come close to living up to her recruiting rankings (#2). Her defense is pretty bad and a 'top 5' freshmen should not be struggling vs Coppin St and Northwestern, I haven't been really all that impressed with her, her game is too one dimensional so far but its early.

Taliah Scott and Fulwiley look like much more rounded freshmen in the SEC, and you could even make a case with Cody Essence being better.

Reaction Score
She's been great, I'd go with Watkins though at this point due to her performance vs Ohio State. Neither has faced much strong competition thus far. Going into conference play, both will get ample opportunities to perform against good teams.

At least when they join the Big Ten I'll be able to see her some. Right now most of her games are only on Pac-12 TV. That will change next year.

Considering her status and the teams rank it's surprising how little national TV exposure they will get until March. Just one regular season game off of Pac-12 and it's not even the UCLA game. ND is on national TV (ESPN or Fox) six times in Jan/Feb.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Williams is decent but she is still very out of shape, she doesn't look nearly as athletic as she was in AAU. Their strength and conditioning coach dropped the ball. As of today she hasn't come close to living up to her recruiting rankings (#2). Her defense is pretty bad and a 'top 5' freshmen should not be struggling vs Coppin St and Northwestern, I haven't been really all that impressed with her, her game is too one dimensional so far but its early.
I'm very intrigued by this heel turn you've taken on LSU. I'm getting dark knight vibes :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm very intrigued by this heel turn you've taken on LSU. I'm getting dark knight vibes :cool:
I just speak the truth, no ill in my post. I like Williams but so far she is over rated for her recruiting hype. She is too much of a one trick pony, all offense with minimal defense/rebounding/assists. She hasn't performed up to par in the big games as she was a major liability on defense. Is her underperformance Mulkey's fault or just recruiting rankings being not accurate? Who knows, maybe its being unfair as she is only a freshmen. That can change in SEC play. She needs to get into better shape. I doubt it will happen until she fully commits to a proper strength and conditioning regimen this offseason..

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score

Taliah Scott and Fulwiley look like much more rounded freshmen in the SEC, and you could even make a case with Cody Essence being better.
Again, another horrible take. Are you actually WATCHING LSU games? Williams is hardly "out of shape". Her defense is about what you would expect a freshman guard's defense to be. Neither Scott or Fulwiley are as efficient as Williams. She's clearly the best freshman, but on a team with three other all American caliber players, no way she will be able to put up the numbers Watkins or Scott will. She's had two below par games this week, but have you been watching the whole season? Even with those two games her efficiency is STILL better than the other two freshmen in the SEC you named. I'd say she's been everything she was advertised to be. Shooting over 50% from the field, over 45% from the three pt line, and over 90% from the FT line. What exactly are you talking about? LOL!:D:D

LSUAlum96

Reaction Score
I just speak the truth, no ill in my post. I like Williams but so far she is over rated for her recruiting hype. She is too much of a one trick pony, all offense with minimal defense/rebounding/assists. She hasn't performed up to par in the big games as she was a major liability on defense. Is her underperformance Mulkey's fault or just recruiting rankings being not accurate? Who knows, maybe its being unfair as she is only a freshmen. That can change in SEC play. She needs to get into better shape. I doubt it will happen until she fully commits to a proper strength and conditioning regimen this offseason..
You are clearly not watching the games. She's the best freshman in the SEC, without question.

Reaction Score
Again, another horrible take. Are you actually WATCHING LSU games? Williams is hardly "out of shape". Her defense is about what you would expect a freshman guard's defense to be. Neither Scott or Fulwiley are as efficient as Williams. She's clearly the best freshman, but on a team with three other all American caliber players, no way she will be able to put up the numbers Watkins or Scott will. She's had two below par games this week, but have you been watching the whole season? Even with those two games her efficiency is STILL better than the other two freshmen in the SEC you named. I'd say she's been everything she was advertised to be. Shooting over 50% from the field, over 45% from the three pt line, and over 90% from the FT line. What exactly are you talking about? LOL!:D:D
I don't know how Williams can even be measured against Fulwilley or Scott given the extreme softness of LSU Schedule. She is put up numbers against very weak teams that either of the other two would if allowed to in the way Mulkey plays here teams. i.e. Having starters still in the game during obvious blowouts in the fourth quarter. It does not take a rocket scientist to tell she is a little bit out of shape and that will reveal itself as conference play looms and LSU will see more teams with like talent and much better athleticism.

LSUAlum96

Reaction Score
I don't know how Williams can even be measured against Fulwilley or Scott given the extreme softness of LSU Schedule. She is put up numbers against very weak teams that either of the other two would if allowed to in the way Mulkey plays here teams. i.e. Having starters still in the game during obvious blowouts in the fourth quarter. It does not take a rocket scientist to tell she is a little bit out of shape and that will reveal itself as conference play looms and LSU will see more teams with like talent and much better athleticism.
Again, you are also clearly not watching the games. She's not "out of shape". Where in the world are you all getting this? LOL! I could care less what she's done against a "weak schedule" as you say. She's played EXTREMELY well, in the toughest games the team has played. Again, she's on a team where she's not asked to do what Scott does, and she's already outplaying Fulwiley. The team literally has three All Americans on it (and last year's SEC freshman of the year). Had she been on a team like Arkansas or Southern Cal, she'd have the same production as the others. But even WITH that being the case, she's STILL putting up phenomenal numbers. I can't wait till SEC play, so some of y'all will have to eat some crow on here. LOL!

She doesn't look outta shape here................................................

Or here............................

Or even here...................

:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Williams is a star! I don’t what yall are looking at. Girl is a baller! She’s not the point guard, she’s not gonna lead the team in assists, she’s not gonna get a ton of rebounds with two of best the rebounders in the college game on her squad. She’s more than held her own average 17 points 4.8 rb 2.7 asts shooting 51 percent from the floor. Take her off the team and they’d probably lose some of those games.

Reaction Score
Idk, Arkansas schedule is pretty horrendous. SC is far tougher so that is true. I’m a big Taliah fan but her numbers are worse than MK across the board in every category and the assist to turnover ratio is pretty horrific.

MK did prove her worth in her two ranked games Vs Colorado and Virginia tech, one of the best players on the entire floor in both games. She averaged nearly 20 PPG on greater than 50% shooting in those two games combined. The fact people want to over look that is funny to me. She does need to get in little better physical condition but she seems in ways like owusu where she is just effective and gets the job done despite her build.

Idk who wins SEC freshmen of the year, but MK, Fulwiley and Taliah are definitely the best of the SEC with a gap beyond them.

Not sure where the MK hate is coming from. She is easily one of the top freshmen in the country. I’d trust her to make shots Vs elite teams more than reese tbh…

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
On a hot night, Fulwiley can go shot for shot with any other freshman in the country. She's good enough to knock down a shot from nearly anywhere inside half court. Fulwiley has been pretty streaky so far, for multiple reasons.. some of it being playing time and some of it being a cold night. In her defense, Fulwiley isn't relied on nearly as much as Williams or Scott and a BIG part of that is because of how good SC's backcourt has been. For example, our entire starting guard lineup, 1-3, are all shooting above 41% from 3. Not a lot of room for a freshman to have those big time games needed to win SEC FOTY when your upperclassmen guards are doing their job. Not to mention, Fulwiley's own classmate Tessa Johnson has been coming on strong lately and she's actually shooting above 50% from 3 herself.

I think Fulwiley is one of the best freshmen in the league, top 3 for sure, and there isn't much separation between her, Williams and Scott. That said, regardless of who LSU has played so far, Williams' skillset and abilities are undeniable and there's nothing that makes me believe she wouldn't perform similarly against higher ranked teams... she already has done it against Virginia Tech and Colorado. I think Williams is phenomenal and has lived up to her billing thus far.

Reaction Score
Lets not turn this into a (expletive deleted) $EC thread. :mad:. Tired of them (expletive deleted) :mad:

Merry Christmas to All :)
I don't have a problem with that but right now none of the three upperclassmen that LSUAlum96 os touting are gonna be all Americans this year. Williams is a talent and will be one of the best freshman along with Fulwilley and Scott, but in reality the person who would have the most trouble putting up stats on an SEC team would be fulwilley because of the talent already on her team. She plays with the top backcourt in wins and stats in the league, the top post player in the league and the deepest and most talented bench in the league. Not subjective prognostications, but based on game results and National and conference statistics, so we will have to just let the season play out.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with that but right now none of the three upperclassmen that LSUAlum96 os touting are gonna be all Americans this year. Williams is a talent and will be one of the best freshman along with Fulwilley and Scott, but in reality the person who would have the most trouble putting up stats on an SEC team would be fulwilley because of the talent already on her team. She plays with the top backcourt in wins and stats in the league, the top post player in the league and the deepest and most talented bench in the league. Not subjective prognostications, but based on game results and National and conference statistics, so we will have to just let the season play out.
Yep. Fulwiley is a part of the #2 bench in ALL of D1 ball in terms of scoring. I want her to be SEC FOTY as much as anybody, but this SC team plays true team ball and nobody really forces the issue. The excellent player from Bowling Green said it best when she said anybody 1-8 for SC is capable of putting 20 points on you on any given night.

But let's talk about the ACC before Triad blows a gasket. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom