OT: - Ranking Holidays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Ranking Holidays

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When the hell did that happen?????
That is so great... I can’t wait till my kid goes to college and I can move home. Buy beer on Sunday.
I mean I can now but it would be special at home.

Reaction Score
You all struck a nerve on this one. Thanksgiving is king. /thread

1) The food. Okay, you're a weirdo hippie that doesn't like turkey? Fine. Have stuffing and gravy and pie.
2) As someone mentioned, automatic 4 day weekend with a blowoff day at work on Wednesday. And a great drinking night on Wednesday because you don't have anything to do Thursday morning.
3) The ONLY holiday to challenge Thanksgiving is Christmas Day and the prep that goes into that day is not worth the payoff. Cut down a tree, put up the lights, decorate the tree, buy gifts, wrap gifts, clean up, take all the garbage down, return gifts you don't like, etc, etc. Not worth it in the end. Thanksgiving is king.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving's the best.

It's a holiday about food. That's it. It's a holiday centered around eating turkey and stuff.

Only sickening individuals don't like turkey or Thanksgiving. I mean real sick. Like, they should be rounded up sick.
Unfortunately my Grandma can’t cook..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving
Christmas
New Year's
Memorial Day
Labor Day
4thof July
Columbus/MLK/Veteran's/President's

Four Day weekend for Turkey Day plus all the food and football. We live far enough away from most family that we pick and choose who we spend holiday with each year.

Christmas and New Year's. Nearly blend in to one week of time off.

Labor and Memorial. 4 Day weekends from work. Have to use some vacation time for Friday but my work is closed Fri-Mon. The start and end of summer. Food, beach and beer.

4th of July. As noted by others it loses all steam when it's mid-week. Otherwise, it's higher.

The rest of them are all 3-day weekends with holiday covered for days off so I don't burn vacation time.

Reaction Score
1. Christmas
2. Fourth of July
3. New Year’s Day
4. Thanksgiving
5. Labor Day
6. Easter
7. Memorial Day
30. Halloween

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Posting first, reading thread second...

Thanksgiving (food and football and 4 days off!!)

4th of July

Christmas (I ain't ashamed to say I love getting gifts!)

Cinqo de Mayo (I love tequila, Mexican food and the month of May)

Easter (2 words: jelly beans)

New Year's Eve (I get to party with friends. Unfortunately the Huskies usually get hammered on this night)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
1) Thanksgiving. As a kid, that was the start of Christmas. Thanksgiving was the perfect opportunity to suck up to your grandparents. In a week or two they'll be buying your Christmas present. Make them happy at Thanksgiving, and it'll pay dividends a month later.

2) Good Friday/Easter. Absent the Easter Bunny stuff, it's the only real Catholic holiday as far as I'm concerned.

3) Christmas. It makes kids happy, and that's good enough for me.

4). Memorial Day. Obvious reasons.

5) 4th of July.

That's it. Now that I'm retired, I find the rest of the holidays to be dumb, and y'all should just go to work.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Depends on your travel plans, Christmas to NYD is the best for running off to somewhere warm before the winter sets in.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Depends on your travel plans, Christmas to NYD is the best for running off to somewhere warm before the winter sets in.

NYD?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All Holidays

Thanksgiving

Anyone who says they like Thanksgiving food is either

A) lying to themselves
or
B) a Ketchup addled nutjob

Obviously you don't do lasagna on Thanksgiving. It's highly recommended. When we host, that takes center stage along with a small turkey. When we don't host and aren't invited anywhere (which is happening more with so many older relatives passing), me and the wife can be found at Texas de Brazil in a red meat coma.

Turkey leftovers work well in chilaquiles and enchiladas. Much better than when originally presented as a main protein.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One just opened at Westfarms Mall and I can’t wait to try it.

Don't make the rookie mistake of getting sucked in by their salad/soup bar (which is pretty substantial). Remember that you're there to eat as much meat as you can for $50. Take a break or two. And wear loose pants.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Don't make the rookie mistake of getting sucked in by their salad/soup bar (which is pretty substantial). Remember that you're there to eat as much meat as you can for $50. Take a break or two. And wear loose pants.
Done Fogo de Chao a few times to prepare. Just glad there’s a new option in central CT!

Reaction Score
How anyone can put Halloween high on their list is beyond me. The only good part about it is berating the trick-or-treaters who didn't dress up before throwing tootsie rolls at them.

1. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter-- these are the three holidays that my entire family gets together for (40-60 people)
2. 4th of July-- I like fireworks
3. Memorial Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day-- Best long weekends for camping, weather is usually nice

Reaction Score
For me it is:

1.New Year's Day(My Birthday)
2. July 4th
3. Thanksgiving Day(Means Black Friday for me as I love to shop good deals online even if there aren't anymore LOL!)
4. MLK Day(Was going to be a civil rights lawyer at first but just settled as an accountant LOL!)
5. Memorial Day (It is warm outside)
6. Labor Day(Fall is my favorite season)
7. X-MAS(Kind of hate it as I come from a dysfunctional family and it is the worst time of the year LOL!)
8. Halloween (love the movie LOL! but this isn't a holiday)
9. Columbus Day(I don't get that day off).
10. Easter (I'm Agnostic).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
March 29
Thanksgiving
Christmas
All the other days of the year, once you're retired.

Reaction Score
All Holidays

Thanksgiving

Anyone who says they like Thanksgiving food is either

A) lying to themselves
or
B) a Ketchup addled nutjob
Frying turkey helps but agree, most thanksgiving food looks like someone threw up in a dish and served it...

Reaction Score
I think there is some confusion between rating the day itself and the overall mood of the holiday/season or event.
Halloween is up on the list because the entire month of October is filled with decorations and ridiculousness, there's lots of entertainment in costumes, parties, dressing up kids or pets etc...

In many respects, a holiday's import in American culture can be ranked by how many TV sitcom treatments or special episodes it receives. For example you can't find multiple Easter themed episodes of Happy Days, Cheers, Friends, Modern Family or The Simpsons, but they are all going to take annual cracks at Halloween. And I can remember and see thru my kids how fun Halloween is when you are <11.

But like others my favorite holiDAY is also definitely Thanksgiving. Yet its not the best season necessarily, part of Thanksgiving's seasonality import is actually that its the start of the Christmastime which is obviously the #1 overall holiday whether the actual day itself is an anticlimax or not.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
4. MLK Day(Was going to be a civil rights lawyer at first but just settled as an accountant LOL!)
So was April 16 a holiday for you, or were you mostly in assurance? I went through two seasons in Tax, but most returns were either extended or filed by EOD 14. The 15th was always anti-climatic for the Tax Dept.

Reaction Score
1. Christmas Eve
2. Thanksgiving
3. NCAA tourney thursday(opening round)
4. NCAA tourney Friday (opening round)
5. Ncaa tourney(Saturday second round)
6. Nfl conference championship sunday
7. Columbus Day weekend.

Reaction Score
Ahh. College Halloween parties. Pretty girls in costumes. Miss those days. Good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom