OT: Quotes From Players/Coaches - All Sports

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1662480658228.png

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Many years ago I saw an old NFL Films documentary on the 1985 Super Bowl between the Bears and Patriots, in which the Bears obliterated the Pats 46-10. After the game Pats QB Steve Grogan was interviewed and explained the epic beatdown (and I paraphrase) thusly..."We were thinking about winning or losing, and they were thinking about football"!

Reaction Score
" Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!" To which Bundini Brown added," Rumble,young man, rumble"!

Reaction Score
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". Red Sanders UCLA football coach.

Reaction Score
"Quote of the Day" online is from John Wooden, who said "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." Fine coach, great man.
Greatest men's college basketball coach of all time and I qualified it to college because there will surely be Red Auerbach fans out there who would otherwise take umbrage. First person inducted into Naismith as both a player (Purdue) and a coach. Also, first three time college All American. So I would only pipe in "Great coach, greater man." P.S. He loved UCONN women's basketball.

Reaction Score
" The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot."

"Remember that basketball is a game of habits. If you make the other guy deviate from his habits, then you got him."

"Concentration and mental toughness are the margins of victory."

"You got to have the killer instinct. If you do not have it, forget about basketball and go into social psychology or something. If you sometimes wonder if you got it, you ain't got it."

The Late Great Bill Russell

Reaction Score
" I had no problem with The Glove" Michael Jordan in The Last Dance commenting on Gary Payton.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"Luck is the residue of design"
-- Branch Rickey

Translation (relevant to all coaching): Being in the right place at the right time is generally the result of constant practice and preparation.
I've always said that I'm a firm believer in luck and those who work the hardest have the best luck.

Reaction Score
Sometimes desire can trump talent. That's where inspirational coaching comes in. My brother, who was a successful high school track/XC coach (and soon-to-be hall-of-famer) on Long Island, used to tell his kids: "The team that won't be beat, can't be beat."

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun - "Not a dime back", when questioned about giving some of his salary back to the state.

And his expletive laced tirade when asked about not recruiting Ryan Gomes "I'm a genius. I took Emeka Okafor at 100 and he turned out pretty good"...

Love him or hate him, he certainly had some memorable press conferences.

Then Yogi Berra - "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical".
I thought Coach Calhoun responded by saying he took Caron Butler.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought Coach Calhoun responded by saying he took Caron Butler.
You are correct - i guess for that class it was Caron Butler over Ryan Gomes, But in his famous rant he says something like "I'm a genius. I took Emeka Okafor when he was ranked 100 and he turned out OK" or something like that...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom