Quote in The Athletic | The Boneyard

Quote in The Athletic

Reaction Score
I think we’ve been dissed:
“There’s no dominant teams, because if you look at the dominant, blue-blood programs, there’s really only one of them that has a high-level coach right now. It’s Kansas,” says one high-major coach, granted anonymity so he could speak freely about his colleagues.

Reaction Score
“There’s no dominant teams, because if you look at the dominant, blue-blood programs, there’s really only one of them that has a high-level coach right now. It’s Kansas,” says one high-major coach, granted anonymity so he could speak freely about his colleagues.
That "high level" coach , coached them to a 29 point loss ( 4 in a row on the road) last night. AND he got his "high level" butt tossed with two technicals.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Replace high level with long tenured (or a long history of success at a high level) and it makes sense. As it currently reads, I have nothing…

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think you are referencing the same article I was just reading. I generally like the Athletic, but that article was written for click bait… while I do think there is a TON of parity in CBB this year, there are very clearly 2 dominant teams that the article decided to basically not mention at all.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's the party line. We can get to seven or eight and the P5s will still be calling us cute.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man, Cooley is so bitter now...

Reaction Score
"Blue blood is an undefined and meaningless term."
Exactly. The relevant term in not "blue blood" but "championship." The relevant question is not "What are the blue blood programs?" but "What are the championship programs?" And the equating of "dominant" and "blue blood" is ridiculous. The woods are full of so-called blue bloods who have not been dominant in years.

If you took a poll of high school basketball coaches and asked them to name the three most dominant college programs in America today, I'll wager that 90% would include UConn. If you asked the same coaches to name three blue-blood college programs off the top of their heads, I'll wager that not 10% would include UConn.

Reaction Score
If that’s not bulletin board material I don’t know what is
And right in time for our home stand against #4 in the country. Kinda love the timing… just when we were riding high, put that chip right back on Hurley and the team’s shoulder.

Hope Hurley puts this on a bulletin board at practice and they come out absolutely scorching tomorrow and Saturday.

Reaction Score
He won't use it directly because he' a team/program not Me guy. The quote disrespects him personally. However, I'm sure that it'll "somehow" make it the kids. Do they read the Boneyard?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Because it's an undefined, and thus meaningless, term.

"Blue Blood" is an easily defined term/label: any school that has dominated in one generation (~25 years), then another, is "Blue Blood."

UConn is Blue Blood.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley lost 3 guys to the pros and has the number 1 team and longest winning streak. That's high-level coaching. He faced a murderers row of CBB coaches in the Dance last year and smoked 'em all. The "Eric Musselman will coach circles around Hurley" quotes seem like a lifetime ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom