Question regarding ASU vs Uconn injury situation | The Boneyard

Question regarding ASU vs Uconn injury situation

Reaction Score
I just read the story about Arizona State women's basketball team having to forfeit the next 2 games because they don't have enough players (7) to play a game just like Uconn's situation last Sunday. Why do they have to forfeit their games when Uconn can just postpone/reschedule them?

Reaction Score
Perhaps different conference rules?
Are their players injured?

Reaction Score
Perhaps different conference rules?
Are their players injured?

Yes, they have a lot of injuries and have to forfeit the next 2 games because they don't have the minimum (7) players. It could be conference rules but I did not get that from reading the article.

Reaction Score
It is conference rules. Last year two PAC 12 teams took advantage of the Covid short handed rules to delay games for non Covid reasons. Two teams in the PAC 12 last season had to forfeit games for Non Covid reasons.

I can’t find anything that says whether the Covid postponement rules are or are not still in affect for the PAC 12.

That is why a lot of PAC 12 fans are surprised UConn was allowed to postpone a game for non Covid related reasons.

Reaction Score
Yes, they have a lot of injuries and have to forfeit the next 2 games because they don't have the minimum (7) players. It could be conference rules but I did not get that from reading the article.

The PAC12 does not have the rule that the Big East has that protects teams from having to forfeit. Arizona State was down some players due to injury and opted to forfeit. They had the option to play with a depleted team and perhaps pick up some walk-ons who obviously wouldn't have been prepared, but made what was probably a wise decision to simply forfeit and get healthy.

Their league does not have a seven-player rule, nor does the NCAA.

Reaction Score
The PAC12 does not have the rule that the Big East has that protects teams from having to forfeit. Arizona State was down some players due to injury and opted to forfeit. They had the option to play with a depleted team and perhaps pick up some walk-ons who obviously wouldn't have been prepared, but made what was probably a wise decision to simply forfeit and get healthy.

Their league does not have a seven-player rule, nor does the NCAA.

This is what I read in that article. Perhaps the author of that article is wrong.

Arizona State didn't say which players were out, but Isadora Sousa, Maggie Besselink, Imogen Greenslade, Morasha Wiggins and Jaylah Robinson were all reportedly dealing with injuries as of last week. Pac-12 guidelines require seven available players, so there have likely been even more injuries since then.

Reaction Score
Also the Arizona State forfeits don't count against their record. They are still stuck on 7-9 for 3 games now. It just goes in the books as a loss against their conference record.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The BIG EAST has the rule about not having enough players, but I believe the NCAA does not. Can the NCAA punish UConn on the national scene for not playing the game as scheduled? What if the game could not be rescheduled, would a forfeit be in play on the national scene as well as in the BE standings? The NCAA has to come up with a policy that encompasses all teams and conferences.

Reaction Score
The BIG EAST has the rule about not having enough players, but I believe the NCAA does not. Can the NCAA punish UConn on the national scene for not playing the game as scheduled? What if the game could not be rescheduled, would a forfeit be in play on the national scene as well as in the BE standings? The NCAA has to come up with a policy that encompasses all teams and conferences.
Why would UConn be punished? The game has been rescheduled and will be played two weeks later than originally planned. This is all much ado about nothing.

Reaction Score

Currently the NCAA does not take forfeits into account when determining bids or seedpings.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Why would UConn be punished? The game has been rescheduled and will be played two weeks later than originally planned. This is all much ado about nothing.
Don't take this the wrong way, UConn should NOT be punished. I was only asking the question because in some other conferences, such as the Pac12 that do this, so I'm just saying that the NCAA should just find some common ground, so some schools are not punished as Arizona State is. I believe in the BE policy, and I think the NCAA should have the same policy for all members. I am NOT advocating that UConn, or any school should be having a forfeit forced on them for injury or illness that depletes their roster.

Reaction Score
Don't take this the wrong way, UConn should NOT be punished. I was only asking the question because in some other conferences, such as the Pac12 that do this, so I'm just saying that the NCAA should just find some common ground, so some schools are not punished as Arizona State is. I believe in the BE policy, and I think the NCAA should have the same policy for all members. I am NOT advocating that UConn, or any school should be having a forfeit forced on them for injury or illness that depletes their roster.
Here's the best explanation that I have seen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is what I read in that article. Perhaps the author of that article is wrong.

Arizona State didn't say which players were out, but Isadora Sousa, Maggie Besselink, Imogen Greenslade, Morasha Wiggins and Jaylah Robinson were all reportedly dealing with injuries as of last week. Pac-12 guidelines require seven available players, so there have likely been even more injuries since then.
I had noticed the same thing. They played 8 in their previous game, and there were no mentions of injuries in the post-game summaries. One player only played one minute, so that may be indicative of an injury sustained in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom