Question About Bill Self | The Boneyard

Question About Bill Self

Reaction Score
How can he get the nations top talent year after year and get destroyed 79- 44 so far? 35 point lead.

Reaction Score
Let me start out by pointing out that Bill Self is in the basketball hall of fame, so If he stopped coaching tomorrow, he doesn’t really have to prove anything to anybody. But...if you needed to win one game, and you needed to choose one active coach, Bill Self would be pretty far down the list. Don’t forget Kansas got destroyed as well in the 2018 Final Four by Villanova. He’s still young so he has plenty of time to redeem himself, but all these tournament blow out losses definitely hurts his credibility as a good coach in a big spot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let me start out by pointing out that Bill Self is in the basketball hall of fame, so If he stopped coaching tomorrow, he doesn’t really have to prove anything to anybody. But...if you needed to win one game, and you needed to choose one active coach, Bill Self would be pretty far down the list. Don’t forget Kansas got destroyed as well in the 2018 Final Four by Villanova. He’s still young so he has plenty of time to redeem himself, but all these tournament blow out losses definitely hurts his credibility as a good coach in a big spot.

Basically if there were any combinations of six college coaches walking down a street and one of them had to trip, fall, and choke on a dildo lying on the sidewalk, I'd bet on Self every time.

Reaction Score
Not a big deal.
Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It's been 15 years since we won a conference regular season.

Reaction Score
People have varrying opinions on coaches who have accomplished a lot. For example, I'm not a Roy Williams fan. He's a hall of famer, has won multiple national championships, is very accomplished, etc... With that said, when I watch his teams play I'm underwhelmed. They often play lousy defense and just try to outscore teams with their talent. Looks like pickup basketball at times. Most of the time that is good enough. He has won with very talented teams but just doesnt seem to do a lot with teams that aren't stacked. He's coached some amazingly talented teams at both Kansas and UNC. It's so hard to win titles so the guy deserves his due, but for whatever reason I just don't think he is some kind of coaching wizard that gets the most out of his teams. The results speak for themselves but I feel the way I feel when I watch UNC play...

Reaction Score
I'll pass on the 15 conference championships for the two national championships we've won in that time span.
Okay but what does that have to do with whether he's a good coach. I brought up we hadn't done it to show how difficult it was. But yeah, he also won a title in that span.

Reaction Score
What is the criteria for a "good coach" ?

We define it by guys who win it all....Sometimes we blur good and great. The retired college baseball coach who won more games than anyone ever has, who went to 42 straight Regionals, made 17 CWS appearances...is most remembered for not winning a national championship.

I think that Ham is a good basketball coach...but will never be considered a great coach because of the lack of ultimate success.

Self is a good coach, IMHO.

Reaction Score
How can he get the nations top talent year after year and get destroyed 79- 44 so far? 35 point lead.
Some coaches are great recruiters but not great in game coaches.

BTW - Talking about Bill Self.

Reaction Score
He won his conference regular season 14 years in a row.
And he doesn’t have to recruit in a conference where that is a. MAJOR advantage. With the talent he gets on a regular basis, he should have multiple titles. He has definitely underachieved with the talent he gets year in and year out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom