Qadence Samuels commits! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Qadence Samuels commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is a four star recruit listed at #35. I’m surprised UConn would recruit a player at that ranking unless they see something no one else does.
Only 22 players in 2023 class are 5 stars. So you think Geno can only recruit from those 22 players?

Geno likes the players with potential in future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that Sue’s ranking was a tad too low?:rolleyes:
Years ago, I worked for Scout recruiting and helped put together Scout’s rankings. They are pretty much a best guess as to how the player will be in college and are very much an inexact art, as opposed to a science.

We had a great deal of discussion regarding rankings - are we ranking players in order as we see them today or are we ranking them on how we believe they’ll be in college? There are many players with mad skills that can’t/won’t play well with a team. And the reverse, there are fabulous “glue“ type players (think Kelly Faris) that don’t show anything spectacular in any particular aspect of the game.

Keep in mind, some ranking services love athletic players more than skilled ones, and vice versa. There are those who have subtle biases, for example preferring guards over posts. I used to argue we should rank by position because it made no sense to compare a point guard with a center but was overruled.

So, rankings are very subjective. I refuse to get too wound up when I see a number next to a girl’s name because it‘s just the ranking committee or person’s opinion, no better or worse than mine.

Reaction Score
I know absolutely nothing about Ms Samuels but she certainly plays for ultra-competitive teams....... I assume she must have the specific skills and attitude that Geno is Looking for........the question is, is this the end of UConn recruiting for '23?

W Qadence Samuels
6-foot-1
Bishop McNamara (Md.)

Samuels effortlessly runs the floor. She glides baseline to baseline and is a threat to either sprint for an easy layup at the rim or spot up for the transition triple. Her confidence and effectiveness from deep have really improved over the last year. Her improved shot preparation has helped her in all aspects of her shooting, and she attacks the elbows for pull-up jumpers very well.

Defensively, her frame and length allow her to be a real weapon for her team. Her high school and club (Team Takeover) programs emphasize defense, and she has begun to buy in. As that becomes more of a staple, she can be a lock-down type of defender, and her rebounding will improve as she adds more strength.

Samuels, who averages 13.5 points and 6.9 rebounds, has a competitive edge in between the lines that separates her. As she learns to translate that into day-to-day work, consistency and production, watch her stock continue to rise. She has offers from North Carolina, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Florida State, Alabama, Kansas State, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech Miami, Mississippi State and Pitt.

Reaction Score
So many of us seem to have prospects we think should be huskies and get bent out of shape when we think Geno & co aren’t paying enough attention. Then they pull a rabbit out of the hat, someone none of us had noticed. It’s humbling.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One more thing about rankings - wait until the next update comes out. After more is known about Qadence, and who has offered her, her ranking will rise similar to Jess Moore who went from 45 to about 15 after she committed to UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any interesting overlap with Azzi and/or the Fudds?

Reaction Score
2E9AD4FA-79D9-4E4F-8C4D-5B5DDD1F3267.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

QADENCE SAMUELS, G, FORESTVILLE, MD.​

High School: Bishop McNamara
AAU Team: Team Takeover
Rankings: Not ranked
Recruiting: Has offers from North Carolina, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Florida State, Alabama, Kansas State, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech Miami, Mississippi State, and Pitt.
Notes: Samuels averaged 15.7 points and 7.4 rebounds a game as a junior

Reaction Score
Same high school. Shea and Caroline Doty are following her on Twitter.

Delaney is following Azzi and Tim Fudd.
Looks like she’s headed to UCONN too. A premature congrats.

Reaction Score
It shows 2 different HS’s on ESPN’s Hoopgurlz. Bishop Mac-Samuels & St. John’s (DC)-Thomas.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Quadence made 4th team All-Met (DMV) last season. Her teammate was Gia Cooke, a 1st team All-Met, who is headed to Maryland.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stephanie Dolson was ranked as the 39th-best recruit nationally and rated as the second-best center in the country by ESPN Hoopgurlz back in 2009, or 2010. I watched her play for the Tennessee Flight(AAU) team at Nike Nationals in July 2009. I said to my self what does Geno see in her, other than a very good post up center. Geno knows what he can do and what potential players have, or what he can teach them to do.

Rankings, or ratings are something for the Bio page on the college roster link and for parents and grandparents to brag about. "Oh look what my Sally Sue is ranked and what award she won" Means nothing if you cant move up a level and improve your game, in all facets.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know absolutely nothing about Ms Samuels but she certainly plays for ultra-competitive teams....... I assume she must have the specific skills and attitude that Geno is Looking for........the question is, is this the end of UConn recruiting for '23?

W Qadence Samuels
6-foot-1
Bishop McNamara (Md.)

Samuels effortlessly runs the floor. She glides baseline to baseline and is a threat to either sprint for an easy layup at the rim or spot up for the transition triple. Her confidence and effectiveness from deep have really improved over the last year. Her improved shot preparation has helped her in all aspects of her shooting, and she attacks the elbows for pull-up jumpers very well.

Defensively, her frame and length allow her to be a real weapon for her team. Her high school and club (Team Takeover) programs emphasize defense, and she has begun to buy in. As that becomes more of a staple, she can be a lock-down type of defender, and her rebounding will improve as she adds more strength.

Samuels, who averages 13.5 points and 6.9 rebounds, has a competitive edge in between the lines that separates her. As she learns to translate that into day-to-day work, consistency and production, watch her stock continue to rise. She has offers from North Carolina, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Florida State, Alabama, Kansas State, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech Miami, Mississippi State and Pitt.

MaxPreps puts her on 3rd team All-American among juniors. They have Arnold and Shade on 2nd team and Toomey on 3rd team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom