PWO versus Scholarship players? | The Boneyard

PWO versus Scholarship players?

Reaction Score
Besides free tuition room and board, what other benefits does a scholarship player get compared to PWO?

Are there athletic dorms versus normal campus housing?
Is there a training table for all meals just for scholarship players?

Tia

Ps I realize at SEC schools there are probably a bunch of unmentionable benefits for scholarship players.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen when my daughter was at UConn, the PWOs will have access to every resource a scholarship player has except room and board as you stated. They are still eligible for financial assistance. Even as a PWO, this is a full time job. They will need and receive access to educational resources. Imagine going to college and working 40+ hours a week, which I kind of did, but I only worked 25 or so hours a week during semesters to pay for tuition. It’s a lot, at least I was not banged up weekly.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Besides free tuition room and board, what other benefits does a scholarship player get compared to PWO?

Are there athletic dorms versus normal campus housing?
Is there a training table for all meals just for scholarship players?

Tia

Ps I realize at SEC schools there are probably a bunch of unmentionable benefits for scholarship players.

Athletic dorms versus normal housing isn't allowed. Schools like UK get around it by putting all the basketball players in a nicer dorm and then have a lottery for a handful of normal students to live there as well...

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen when my daughter was at UConn, the PWOs will have access to every resource a scholarship player has except room and board as you stated. They are still eligible for financial assistance. Even as a PWO, this is a full time job. They will need and receive access to educational resources. Imagine going to college and working 40+ hours a week, which I kind of did, but I only worked 25 or so hours a week during semesters to pay for tuition. It’s a lot, at least I was not banged up weekly.
This is the way it was when I was a PWO 40 years ago. We were part of the team and participated in all team activities. The only other difference was that we did not get assigned another player as a roommate like the scholarship kids did.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Several years ago so rules may have changed but there was some archane NCAA rule or policy about what walk-ons could do over semester break. Had something to do with eating meals at an athletic facility instead of school cafeteria and might have included something about team hotel rooms and meals.

Reaction Score
So is there an athletic training table for meals for all team members? All sports or is it limited?

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember the controversy surrounding Jim Calhoun when he put his son on scholarship? I seem to remember him stating other benefits, besides tuition and r&b, but I can’t find the article now. I remember the rules being ridiculous, like PWO’s had to pay cash to eat at the team facility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom