OT: - Purdue/Tennessee ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

OT: Purdue/Tennessee ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
An OT ThoughtZ™? Why not? But it's a short one.
  1. The Carson Edwards attempted 3 that drew the foul at the end of regulation. A lot of analyst talk about whether he was fouled or not. But to me, it looked like both of his heels were out of bounds when he caught the ball. Am I seeing things?
  2. Also, the Cline kid that hit a jillion threes has an odd form. He shoots it from almost behind his head. The way it goes in makes me think other guys should be doin' that.
  3. No rooting interest either way, but it's always nice to see Tennessee lose. Not sure why, but it is.

Reaction Score
Yes, he looked out of bounds. Horrible FT throw shooting by both teams too. Glad to see Tennessee lose too, don't have to hear about admiral anymore, what kind of name is that?

Game of the tourney so far. I feel like teams like Purdue always lose these types of games, good win for them.

Reaction Score
An OT ThoughtZ™? Why not? But it's a short one.
  1. The Carson Edwards attempted 3 that drew the foul at the end of regulation. A lot of analyst talk about whether he was fouled or not. But to me, it looked like both of his heels were out of bounds when he caught the ball. Am I seeing things?
  2. Also, the Cline kid that hit a jillion threes has an odd form. He shoots it from almost behind his head. The way it goes in makes me think other guys should be doin' that.
  3. No rooting interest either way, but it's always nice to see Tennessee lose. Not sure why, but it is.
1. Looked as though he was on the balls of his feet with his heels elevated and thusly clear of the sideline.
2. My dad has that same form, but more like a soccer throw in with both hands. He would say he was money back in the day, but I never bought it.
3. Agreed. Always the specter of them being a dirty program I think it is.

Reaction Score
Idk, I feel bad for Tenn. They had a great season despite not having 1 top 150 hs recruit. That's impressive.

Sure Pearl was shady, but the days of Lofton and Houston were fine.

They got robbed more than UCF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Refs calling a foul that didn’t happen in the last seconds is criminal. If that wasUCONN defending imagine the outcry here.

Reaction Score
I really like this Tennessee team/players. But Rick Barnes being Rick Barnes never gets old

I thought that was Rick Barnes' father last night. ;)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it a clear whistle or not either way. Judgment call by a ref there. Contact but with a slight extension of his right leg.

If I see a poor closeout and a funny landing? I'm calling a foul--that's basketball. Turner should know better. Close out to the body, not through it.

Reaction Score

This was very clearly not a foul. And it was subtle but he did kick his leg out

He hip checked him. He hit his hip in the air on the way down. That is a foul because you need to give them space to land. He didn't even touch his leg at all.

Reaction Score
He hip checked him. He hit his hip in the air on the way down. That is a foul because you need to give them space to land. He didn't even touch his leg at all.
He does hit him with his hip so I guess I kind of see it. But it's definitely not a foul and he clearly kicks his legs out. But that's not a call that's made at any other point of the game

Reaction Score
He does hit him with his hip so I guess I kind of see it. But it's definitely not a foul and he clearly kicks his legs out. But that's not a call that's made at any other point of the game

If your stance is it is never called, then I 100% agree with you that it is never called at end of the game. If it was UCF would be playing tonight and Zion would be sitting at home.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Refs lost Tennessee the game. Very sad
Tennessee lost the game
Came out cold and slow having to play catch-up. Missed so many FTs
Played like crap in the OT and looked like they were panicked while Purdue never waivered even when Tennessee went on that run late in 2nd half
I happen to like Rick Barnes but he is too laid back. Matt Painter is a very underrated coach - he gets the most out of his team and is at a recruiting disadvantage with IU and all the Midwest perennial powers.
Refs had very little bearing on this game
There was a definite foul at the end of regulation on the 3 and if Purdue could hit FTs there is no OT.
Tennessee is way to athletic to lose to a team like Purdue but in this game the team under control won.

BTW- UConn could use a kid like Cline - but he doesn't fit the DH mold of flash and dash - too bad because I feel every team needs someone like him, someone who has the confidence and the ability to take all those 3s and hit them at a 45% plus rate.

Reaction Score
Ball was out clean, incidental contact had no effect on the shot but more important is when it happened. Like I said if it happened to us we would be screaming bloody murder.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

This was very clearly not a foul. And it was subtle but he did kick his leg out

I actually think he got him twice. Once with the right hand, hitting Edwards right forearm near the elbow (watch the elbow move as the hand swings by), and once with the hip into the right thigh.

Reaction Score
U don’t make that call on those kids with a chance to go to elite 8 with 2 secs left. At the very very very worst it’s a 50/50 call. If the call was NOT made- you wud barely hear anything about it. So that shud tell u right there. Bottom line- u just don’t call that. Don’t understand how people can be ok with that call that ended a teams season. It’s Like calling a weak holding penalty late in nfl playoff game(this call was actually way worse than nfl analogy). U just don’t do it. When In doubt , late in game , swallow the damn whistle. Awful.

Reaction Score
Did not affect shot. Contact was minor. Contact was partly caused by a leg kick out.
Should have been no call.
Didn't watch anything other than the GIF above, and I don't care about either team.

Reaction Score
You are allowed to kick your legs out on a shot as long as it isn't unnatural or exaggerated. That was clearly a foul.

Reaction Score
Yeah the leg kick was subtle enough that I'm not saying it should be an offensive foul or anything. But the minimal contact if anything didn't even affect the shot. He landed exactly where he would have

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Played like crap in the OT and looked like they were panicked while Purdue never waivered even when Tennessee went on that run late in 2nd half

Oh Purdue wavered after Tenn tied and took the lead. For the briefest of moments, but Tennessee was about to grab that game by the throat. And then Cline happened. Like four trips in a row he made unconscionable bombs in every way imaginable (one on a dead run with a guy in his shirt, one a stepback at the end of the shotclock............etc.........etc......) that kept purdue attached at a time where it felt they were about to be snuffed.

Unbeleivable individual performance at the crunchiest crunch times you could ever imagine.

My jaw was on the floor with the haymakers these teams were alternating. What a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom