Providence Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or more...;)

I could see that, too, DDpup, but I could also see a lineup with two excellent point guards, Paige and Azzi, with Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah... and are we assuming KK Arnold doesn't measure up as a freshman? My belief has been that she'll be a really good point guard from Day One.
And it seems everyone, myself included, has been forgetting that either Ice or Ayanna could be a starter next season.

Bottom line, I believe that other than Paige (if healthy), Azzi and Aaliyah, no one has a starting spot locked for '23-24, and that's a great thing for the Huskies, and should be for everyone here.

For those many who feel I am denigrating Nika's considerable talents, no way! I'm simply laying out who I believe would form the strongest UConn team.

But let's get back to gearing up for this Sunday's game.:)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was a good crowd with a raucous student section and Dan Hurley and his wife sitting directly behind the bench. Actually, they showed them on the “Kiss Cam” and they didn`t disappoint.

I got there early and being there in person for the pregame and the game itself, you see how much Nika is the leader of this team. It comes across on television, but not nearly as much as seeing it in person. She bonked her face going after a loose ball in the first quarter but seemed to shake it off.

Also, a student made the layup, foul shot and three pointer, I think he won a round trip to Florida. The shooting by students during the time outs this year has been way above average, a student nailed it from half court at the NC State game. I`m not sure what he won, an iPad maybe.

The story to me was how we just totally stomped on the Friars, both offensively and defensively, in the first part of the game to put it away early, and the athleticism and ability that Aubrey showed during that early run. It was over early, made for a somewhat relaxing night.

In addition to the great individual talents, they all seem very well connected to each other on both ends of the floor. They look like a very confident group out there. They will need that confidence on Sunday.

I think the minutes Caroline got tonight will prove to be important. She isn`t quite there yet but she`s moving in the right direction.

I did think that Amari played with more energy than I have seen before. She had a good outing. A couple of mystifying things that she tends to do, but she showed some ability out there. She runs the floor with an unusual gait which makes her appear slower than she actually is.

I thought it was a pretty well refereed game. I thought they let the players play for the most part.

All in all, this was about as good a tuneup for Notre Dame as one could have hoped for.

Reaction Score
And it seems everyone, myself included, has been forgetting that either Ice or Ayanna could be a starter next season.

Bottom line, I believe that other than Paige (if healthy), Azzi and Aaliyah, no one has a starting spot locked for '23-24, and that's a great thing for the Huskies, and should be for everyone here.

For those many who feel I am denigrating Nika's considerable talents, no way! I'm simply laying out who I believe would form the strongest UConn team.

And beyond focusing on Sundays game wouldn’t it be refreshing to celebrate what our players have been doing THIS season and what THIS group of players will do THIS season.

Speculation of what will be next season and what combination of players will achieve it seems rather premature. Speaking only for myself, i’m pretty excited about seeing what happens THIS season and all these ‘if only’s’ and ‘what ifs’ would suggest that some rather than doing so are biding their time until the real excitement happens next year!

Can’t we celebrate ThIS year’s squad and what they will achieve? We’ll have the whole summer to hyper analyze and postulate 23-24 and no doubt we will ad naseum!

Reaction Score
There is no way Caroline beats out Nika for a starting job.
Agreed, Blond D, Paige will, and Caroline will be taking Lou's spot, if she hadn't already later this season.

Reaction Score
I was most impressed with the steals from Nika and Aubrey coming from picture perfect defensive positioning. It was like watching a shell drill taken seriously by a well disciplined defensive machine. The whole team needs to be totally committed to defense for that to work so well in a game.

Reaction Score

Uconn will lose Lou next season which will hurt, but her replacements will make it up. I don't get involved in who the starting five will be because it's a moot point .If everyone is healthy and ready to play we will have 4 starting fives. Out of the 11 or 12 players we will have next year ANY five player combo will equal a starting five. Next year we will have tremendous scoring, great rebounding, superior defense and the coach of a Millennial in Geno. I am predicting an unbeaten season next year if there are no more frustrating injuries. Uconn will have a team that will be one of their best of all times. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Or more...;)

I could see that, too, DDpup, but I could also see a lineup with two excellent point guards, Paige and Azzi, with Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah... and are we assuming KK Arnold doesn't measure up as a freshman? My belief has been that she'll be a really good point guard from Day One.
Well I guess that makes at least 2 guys who consider Azzi and Paige as maybe better options at PG. I would say PROBABLY. Why it's even controversial should be the surprise. We are blessed with a LOT of options and they only get better next year, including a solid penetrating PG named KK.

Reaction Score

Is Aubrey coming back? And you have her over Nika? Nika beat out Aubrey during her freshman season. And the beginning of this year it was Nika over Aubrey. And imo having Paige and Azzi as wings is more formidable than one as a pg.

Back to the game: When you give Geno skilled players that can both pass and shoot the ball; watching the game is a thing of beauty. A special shout out to Edwards and Lou. It's hard to express in words their amazing play on Offense- other than along with Azzi - the three are an amazing efficient Triple Threat when they face the basket with the ball in their hands. And we expect Ducharme to also become that. This efficient ability feeds off of each of the 5 players on the court.

Excited to see if that carries to the ND game; a program known for major upsets playing at home vs a so-far steamrolling UCONN team.

Reaction Score

Uconn was a stronger team last year when Muhl started at point guard and for those who feel I am denigrating Bueckers very considerable talents, I am not.

Reaction Score
Y'all manage to turn every thread about who's going to be starting a year from now. Some of the people y'all are naming haven't played a single college game yet. It's actually magical how you guys can do that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she (Nika) won't start next year. The Paige and Azzi thumping begins next year. Add Jana and WOW
Too early to say. Two seasons ago UConn was best with Nika and Paige on the floor together, so Nika, Paige, and Azzi starting is a possibility.

Reaction Score
Here's my analysis: I liked the game. Fell asleep at the end of the first half and missed the second. All I remember is Lou making a 3 at the buzzer that ended the 1st half. That is what happens when you are a golden golden.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And the "really" reaction of Ines's full court pass to Ayanna.

1670070198774.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer