Promise Taylor | The Boneyard

Promise Taylor

Reaction Score
Just watched a Vic presser, Promise Taylor had foot surgery and is wearing a cast. Vic said both Chloe and Promise should be healed by the start of next season but may be behind in conditioning. Vic really positive about next year’s team especially incoming freshmen. Said he was talking with Oregon about continuing home home with them, thinks it will happen but not next year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just watched a Vic presser, Promise Taylor had foot surgery and is wearing a cast. Vic said both Chloe and Promise should be healed by the start of next season but may be behind in conditioning. Vic really positive about next year’s team especially incoming freshmen. Said he was talking with Oregon about continuing home home with them, thinks it will happen but not next year.

Any word if theyll be scheduling tougher this year? In many ways I think that contributed to their downfall this year.

Reaction Score
He did say OOC almost complete, 1 more game to add. He did not elaborate on who was on the OOC. Talked a lot about preseason activities, Pan am and some European tournament. Did say a little about transfers but no hint as to who they were talking with, stressed the transfer would have to fit the team and meld in with existing players and overall MSST strategy. I think he will be careful about adding any player with baggage.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
What contributed to our downfall this year was our defense was bad, and we had no shot blockers except McCowan. If we had just one more shot blocker against Oregon, we probably would've won.

Reaction Score
What contributed to our downfall this year was our defense was bad, and we had no shot blockers except McCowan. If we had just one more shot blocker against Oregon, we probably would've won.

Simple, I just do not believe our defense was bad. We lost 3 games, 2 away games (I considered Portland a home game for Oregon) and the other to a Missouri team that played way over their head. There was no downfall, we just had a bad draw in the tournament, Oregon was a tough match for us and playing in a home environment against a team like Oregon was something we just could not overcome.

Reaction Score
I am really interested in this OOC schedule for next year. I think he needs to schedule two top 10 teams and not as many sub 200 RPI teams. That is my wish.

I'm kinda worried about Promise. Foot injuries can cause ongoing issues.

Reaction Score
I am really interested in this OOC schedule for next year. I think he needs to schedule two top 10 teams and not as many sub 200 RPI teams. That is my wish.

I'm kinda worried about Promise. Foot injuries can cause ongoing issues.
Agree, I am also concerned about Bibby, just hope they both can recover and play at their pre injury level. One of the incoming freshman is also recovering from an ACL injury hope she also recovers. As for the OOC I will be interested to see if it has been upgraded. If anyone could enlighten me on the European tournament it would be appreciated. I understand MSST will play in the tournament and I think they will be the sole American team playing, based upon what I thought Vic said American teams have played in the tournament before but we have never metaled.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Simple, I just do not believe our defense was bad. We lost 3 games, 2 away games (I considered Portland a home game for Oregon) and the other to a Missouri team that played way over their head. There was no downfall, we just had a bad draw in the tournament, Oregon was a tough match for us and playing in a home environment against a team like Oregon was something we just could not overcome.
The reason Mississippi State lost so few games was that they played such a weak schedule. They played exactly 2 games against top 12 teams, and lost both.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

The defense against Oregon was terrible IMO. Oregon abused McCowan in the pick and roll. Hebard would set a high pick and McCowan closed out every single time, never once forcing Ruthy to hit a 15 foot jumper. End result was McCowan stuck in no man's land and an easy layup for Oregon. Happened all game and no adjustment was made. Same thing happened in the first game. Players were visibly frustrated/confused toward the end. If MSU/Vic make the adjustment, they probably would've won.

Vic's one of the best defensive coaches out there (his Final Four teams played very intense in your face D) but this crew wasnt as good as most of his teams on the defensive side despite having great individual defensive players.

Reaction Score
I felt the same way. I thought they had some really good individual defensive players but were bad as a team.

Reaction Score
The defense against Oregon was terrible IMO. Oregon abused McCowan in the pick and roll. Hebard would set a high pick and McCowan closed out every single time, never once forcing Ruthy to hit a 15 foot jumper. End result was McCowan stuck in no man's land and an easy layup for Oregon. Happened all game and no adjustment was made. Same thing happened in the first game. Players were visibly frustrated/confused toward the end. If MSU/Vic make the adjustment, they probably would've won.

Vic's one of the best defensive coaches out there (his Final Four teams played very intense in your face D) but this crew wasnt as good as most of his teams on the defensive side despite having great individual defensive players.
Vic said in his presser he was haunted by the final score in the Oregon game. He said he had never had his team score 84 points and lose. No doubt the MSST defense against Oregon was substandard for a Vic team but I contend that was more a matchup issue than a team defense issue. We simply did not match well with a team that had hot shooting from outside and quick guards able to drive to the basket. Many have said Vic should have employed a zone defense, that would have been effective against drives to the basket but if the outside shots continued to go in a zone would have been a disaster. Against most of the teams we faced our defense was an asset, against a team like Oregon, I am not sure any team would prevail if they continued to hit from outside. My opinion is that in the Oregon game we needed to take the chance Oregon would cool off from outside and concentrate on stopping the drives, that means I agree we should have employed a zone defense against Oregon.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Vic said in his presser he was haunted by the final score in the Oregon game. He said he had never had his team score 84 points and lose. No doubt the MSST defense against Oregon was substandard for a Vic team but I contend that was more a matchup issue than a team defense issue. We simply did not match well with a team that had hot shooting from outside and quick guards able to drive to the basket. Many have said Vic should have employed a zone defense, that would have been effective against drives to the basket but if the outside shots continued to go in a zone would have been a disaster. Against most of the teams we faced our defense was an asset, against a team like Oregon, I am not sure any team would prevail if they continued to hit from outside. My opinion is that in the Oregon game we needed to take the chance Oregon would cool off from outside and concentrate on stopping the drives, that means I agree we should have employed a zone defense against Oregon.

Some sort of zone would've helped (even a box and 1 or triangle and 2) but I think the biggest issue was not keeping Big T home and having her chase Hebard out to 15-20 feet. Keep your 6-7 girl in the paint and make Hebard beat you with 15 footers rather than getting stuck 10-15 feet from the rim and have the guards/Ruthy get past McCowan for an uncontested layup. Even so, they only lost by 4 on the road. Vic is one of my favs, would've loved to see him win a title with McCowan.

Reaction Score
Some sort of zone would've helped (even a box and 1 or triangle and 2) but I think the biggest issue was not keeping Big T home and having her chase Hebard out to 15-20 feet. Keep your 6-7 girl in the paint and make Hebard beat you with 15 footers rather than getting stuck 10-15 feet from the rim and have the guards/Ruthy get past McCowan for an uncontested layup. Even so, they only lost by 4 on the road. Vic is one of my favs, would've loved to see him win a title with McCowan.
What I really wanted to see was a McCowan Brown matchup! We did see that matchup two years previous but the 1917 McCowan was an underdeveloped player while the 2019 McCowan was a premier post player. Of course I want MSST to finally win a national championship and I would love for it to be WBB. BTW, posters like you are a major reason I love the BY, knowledgeable and fair.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What I really wanted to see was a McCowan Brown matchup! We did see that matchup two years previous but the 1917 McCowan was an underdeveloped player while the 2019 McCowan was a premier post player. Of course I want MSST to finally win a national championship and I would love for it to be WBB. BTW, posters like you are a major reason I love the BY, knowledgeable and fair.

Thanks for the kind words--definirely enjoy this board (and posters like you!)

Brown/Cox vs McCowan this year would've been very fun to see. I started rewatching the 2017 game the other day and it was amazing to see how different McCowan is now vs then. Also insane how much talent Baylor had on that roster.

Reaction Score
I don't think MS St needs a tough OOC schedule, they play in the SEC where the weaker teams can beat you if you don't show up to play.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words--definirely enjoy this board (and posters like you!)

Brown/Cox vs McCowan this year would've been very fun to see. I started rewatching the 2017 game the other day and it was amazing to see how different McCowan is now vs then. Also insane how much talent Baylor had on that roster.
I have replayed that game numerous times. In my mind, Baylor was the better team, close but in my mind better. What that game illustrated was the effect confidence has on outcome. Morgan William was unbelievable, she was in her zone and she knew her shot was going to be good. Results was, for that moment and game, Morgan was the best player on the court and MSST won. Basketball is a game of confidence and if your shot is falling your confidence grows and you can dominate the entire game, one of the things I love about BBall.

Reaction Score
I don't think MS St needs a tough OOC schedule, they play in the SEC where the weaker teams can beat you if you don't show up to play.
Maybe MSST does not need a tough OOC but WBB does need for the top teams to schedule competitive OOC games. No one want to see an elite team beat a nobody, I realize the schedule is developed before the actual quality of the opponent is available but at least schedule 4-5 OOC opponents having a history of quality WBB play.

Reaction Score
Maybe MSST does not need a tough OOC but WBB does need for the top teams to schedule competitive OOC games. No one want to see an elite team beat a nobody, I realize the schedule is developed before the actual quality of the opponent is available but at least schedule 4-5 OOC opponents having a history of quality WBB play.
To get a 1 seed or higher seed maybe, but to battle tested I don't think so. I this SEC play prepares teams for the tournament. This year the only team Miss St had a problem with is Oregon and defending that pick and roll, I don't consider that Missouri loss a big loss. Now if you're in a conference like the Big 10 and don't schedule tough OOC opponents, then yes, Maryland, you won't be battle tested.

Reaction Score
Outside of A&M and South Carolina (maybe Kentucky)

SEC was really down last year

Tennessee was lucky to be in the tournament. Vanderbilt and Florida are dumpster fires. Georgia has regressed. LSU has Nikki running the show. Missouri was very Jekyll and Hyde

That said I would like to see State play more competitive OOC games. They have been a top program these last few years and are starting to see a bigger surge of talent to Starksville they haven't seen before. Playing a bunch of teams with a RPI in the 200's isn't going to get you better or prove much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TAMU, SC and TN will be better unless they under perform. Still, there is value in trying to strengthen the OOC to see more styles and getting used to preparing for teams you are not very familiar with.

Reaction Score

Personally, I don't understand why a team that could be competitive with a national schedule would choose not to play one.

Seems like half the fun of being that kind of program is testing yourself and playing spotlight games.

Never understood coaches that were afraid to lose those kind of games. It never really hurts you.

and the idea that the SEC is so strong you don't need good OOC doesn't ring true to me.

Reaction Score

Hope Promise is good to go and in shape by the time the season rolls around. She looked good as freshman at Ole Miss, I'm sure Johnnie Harris will have her looking like a different player. Sitting out a season and practicing against McCowan every day could only have done good things for her. MSST coaches do an excellent job at developing players.

Reaction Score
We once had a Promise Taylor. When we took our clothes to our Taylor for alterations he would always Promise them by a certain date but they were never done on time. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom