Program's Get NO NCAA PAYOUT For Tournament....No Units Earned | The Boneyard

Program's Get NO NCAA PAYOUT For Tournament....No Units Earned

Reaction Score
The men's programs are awarded "units" for games played in the tourney...

Example...the ACC this year will earn a minimum (so far) of $26 million payable rolling forward six years....The Big Ten earned $18 million.

The Women? Teams in the tournament do not earn money for their conferences similarly...I guess they get hats and stuff. UCONN women will earn zero units.

There will be gender equity pressure to change. The women also should be able to be awarded "units"...they may not equate to the value of the men's because of media contract difference. It is time to change.

Reaction Score
The media contracts for women's sports suck in comparison to men..true.

Reaction Score
That may not be true. I have read that the women "contract" is part of the entire playoff system for all college sports. When you mix in all the other sports it loses money.
If they separated the women's basketball away from the other sports, like the men I would think they would make some money.
Someone posted on the BY that Bridgeport sold out and has 10,000 in attendance, while the Louisville game had less than 5000 for a 15,000 seat arena. i could not find the attendance for the other sites listed, for some reason only sources do not include that in the boxscores.

Could someone please post the attendance numbers for all of the women tournament games this year?

Reaction Score
It might be simple math but the assumptions to arrive at this simple math needed to be analyzed and looked at. The old assumptions that WCBB does not make any money may be changing.
We’re all ears?

Reaction Score
It’s easier to pay the men thanks to the NCAA’s deal with CBS and Turner’s contract. The original contract averaged $770 million per year with an extension in 2016 jumping that per-year average to $1.1 billion in 2025.

The women’s tournament currently is bundled with other women’s championships for TV rights. The current contract with ESPN is up in 2024. ESPN is giving each game n this tournament its own window on one of its channels with four games on ABC for a second straight year.

Utah coach Lynn Roberts said she thinks the NCAA is working hard to fix some of the optics with “a long ways to go” systematically. Roberts said the real money comes from media deals and advertising.

Reaction Score
That may not be true. I have read that the women "contract" is part of the entire playoff system for all college sports. When you mix in all the other sports it loses money.
If they separated the women's basketball away from the other sports, like the men I would think they would make some money.
Someone posted on the BY that Bridgeport sold out and has 10,000 in attendance, while the Louisville game had less than 5000 for a 15,000 seat arena. i could not find the attendance for the other sites listed, for some reason only sources do not include that in the boxscores.

Could someone please post the attendance numbers for all of the women tournament games this year?
And the “super regional “ format starting next year will exacerbate the attendance disparities. Having one in a west coast city each year (one being Spokane) with little to no local WBB following is not a recipe to success for growing the game. My opinion of course.

Reaction Score
The women’s tournament set an an attendance record of 216,890 through the first two rounds. The home-court advantages didn’t help that much: Eight double-digit seeds won, tying 2018 for the most ever through two rounds. Four top-four seeds lost at home by double digits for the first time.

Having games at neutral sites, as the men do, could cut some attendance.

Reaction Score
The women’s tournament set an an attendance record of 216,890 through the first two rounds. The home-court advantages didn’t help that much: Eight double-digit seeds won, tying 2018 for the most ever through two rounds. Four top-four seeds lost at home by double digits for the first time.

Having games at neutral sites, as the men do, could cut some attendance.
Do you know how many times UNC and/or Duke played in North Carolina? Or UCLA in California?

Reaction Score
Do you know how many times UNC and/or Duke played in North Carolina? Or UCLA in California?
In the NCAA Tournament?

Hell, conference play is a completely different subject.

UNC and Dule have NEVER played each other in the NCAA Tounament...this will be a first.

Reaction Score
I know very little about the financial aspects of the NCAA Tournament.........I assume that each school gets paid TV money for every game they play during the tournament......is that correct? if so how much do they make?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know very little about the financial aspects of the NCAA Tournament.........I assume that each school gets paid TV money for every game they play during the tournament......is that correct? if so how much do they make?
Nope. The women’s tournament was bundled with other championships - no payouts

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom