Program headed in right direction | The Boneyard

Program headed in right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Am I disappointed in losing that Missouri game by 3? Yes. Did I like the 2nd fake kick? No. Programs don't turn on the results of one game, one play. However, there is a process here and even though I do not like Diaco, I have to give him credit for turning the program into the right direction.

Last year, we were inept. This year, we have become at the least competitive and have a chance in all our games. The biggest thing to break was the losing mentality the program had. Playing Mizzou straight up is a confidence builder and showed where the improvement has to be made. Our players are really young and with youth are mistakes. But the biggest thing to take away from this game is that this team is has broken the losing mentality and now has to learn how to win games.
Missed PAT's, punts for 13 net yards, breaking the 1 yard area on punt returns, etc are the plays that lose games. Once this team "grows up" mentally, the winning performances will become habit and we will be a force to be reckoned with.
1 year ago, I would have been ecstatic if you told me would lose at Missouri by 3. Heck, we couldn't beat SMU at home last year. So while we can bemoan play calling and missed opportunities, remember where we were not too long ago and that this is part of the process of building a winning program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Need a FULL RENT on Saturday. That means you, Johnny Casual fan.

UC-PAC-TEMPLATE-2-Column_15.gif

Reaction Score
I agree with this. I know that the gutsy call hurt us, but I would rather support a coach willing to go for it all than one who was afraid to risk anything. I'm proud of this team and will support them till the end. You can find me in the front row of section 105 next weekend. Go blue

Reaction Score
Danny O agrees..

danorlovsky712:25pm via Twitter for iPhone
Ok @UConnFootball

danorlovsky712:38pm via Twitter for iPhone
@desmondconner now THIS is a totally different team and program for @UConnFootball No matter what the outcome today...headed right way

On the "call":

danorlovsky73:01pm via Twitter for iPhone
@desmondconner LOVE the call. Didn't work but love the call

danorlovsky73:06pm via Twitter for iPhone
@88rh99 @desmondconner Mark Dantonio made same play call few yrs ago against ND and it worked and he was "genius"...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My low point was the Tulane game last year. I had planned for two months to go the game but decided to bail out due to the team's performance leading up to it.

I sent a letter to Warde after the game. I was ticked off. Mostly because the coaching staff wasn't talking what they were walking. If Diaco would have declared the whole season a wash and said he wasn't concerned about winning, play calling and building the fan base, I would have been more patient.

This season is different so far. UConn looked and performed like an equal to a mid to upper level SEC team today. Every player on Mizzou was recruited to play in the BIG12 or SEC. And UConn looked and played their equal.

I am optimistic going forward. Whoever made the call and pulled the string to bring in Balis as the S/C coach needs to get special recognition.

This team will win 6+ games this year and go to a bowl. Next year will be even better.

Reaction Score
Didn't like the last fake FG call either, but they definitely played to win today. Looking very much like they've broken their losing mentality. Just made a few bad plays and questionable decisions. The D gave it their all today. Game was very winnable and they almost had it, but the team definitely looks headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
We have a solid QB with two more years after this. We have an improving and already solid defense. We have promising, yet-to-be-polished running backs who are all young. We have a coach willing to roll the dice instead of run the ball straight up the middle 50 times a game. There's ample reason the be very optimistic.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. I know that the gutsy call hurt us, but I would rather support a coach willing to go for it all than one who was afraid to risk anything. I'm proud of this team and will support them till the end. You can find me in the front row of section 105 next weekend. Go blue

NO. I would rather have a coach who maximizes our chances of winning. And fans who understand that maximizing chances of winning, and not tough sounding cliches, will win you more games over time.

Reaction Score
We have a solid QB with two more years after this. We have an improving and already solid defense. We have promising, yet-to-be-polished running backs who are all young. We have a coach willing to roll the dice instead of run the ball straight up the middle 50 times a game. There's ample reason the be very optimistic.
Agree with all your points.................we just need to get stronger on the O-Line, especially on the running game.

Reaction Score
Agree with all your points.......we just need to get stronger on the O-Line, especially on the running game.
You're right, and better playmakers at the TE and WR positions. But that's part of an improving program, we have to develop and bring in new talent.

Reaction Score
I haven't felt this secure with a loss since 2007 when the Giants played a competitive game with the undefeated Patriots in the regular season finale that year. Giants used that game as a barometer, got hot in the playoffs, meet the Patriots again in the Super Bowl, then pull off one of the greatest upsets in recent memory. As long as UConn actually learns from this and moves forward, I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom