Prognosticating for next years draft | The Boneyard

Prognosticating for next years draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After Kendall just went to San Diego and realizing it will be a while until the next husky, if there is one, is drafted I decided to look at the upcoming seniors and consider how many could be drafted next year. Trying to remain as unbiased as possible, which isn't easy, I want to say that it could be a big year next year with the amount of huskies that could be drafted. I don't necessarily think we will have any high 1st or 2nd round picks but the list of possibles/probables is pretty large.......

Only my opinion.....feel free to debate....

Probable:
Sio Moore
Blidi Wreh-Wilson
Dwayne Gratz
Trevardo Williams (If he has another year like last year hes gotta be considered as a speed rushing OLB)
Jesse Joseph (As long as he stays healthy he should be uber productive this year)

Possible:
Adam Masters
Ryan Griffin
Michael Smith

Good College Players but not quite pro material:
Jimmy Bennett (Injury factor/production)
John Delahunt (Not enough production/Great hands though)
Ted Jennings (Undersized/production)
Ryan Wirth (Undersized/production)
Nick Williams (Could find his way on as UFA special teams returner ala Larry Taylor)

Reaction Score
I think right now there are only 2 UCONN players that are locks to get drafted next year: Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Trevardo Williams.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and a vandy cb was just picked, right on Q roll the jmac pick video. lmfao. uconn is getting on this draft by espn.

Reaction Score
Blidi has tremendous instincts and cover skills, but he doesn't have great athleticism or speed, so he may drop because of that. He also doesn't make a ton of plays on the ball. You have to watch him one on one to get a true sense of how good he is.

I think Sio has a chance to be a very high draft selection. He didn't make as many plays this past year, but he seems to be around the ball.

I also think JJ should have a very good year.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
and a vandy cb was just picked, right on Q roll the jmac pick video. lmfao. uconn is getting **** on this draft by espn.

A lot of UConn players, former and current, have been ticked off by the negative highlights throughout the draft. Apparently this has been going on for years.

At this point, I kinda wish ESPN would just move on to Greensboro or Austin and get things over with. Why are they still here in Connecticut?...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
and a vandy cb was just picked, right on Q roll the jmac pick video. lmfao. uconn is getting **** on this draft by espn.
We absolutely are. They had to go back to '09 to get a Coples highlight? The first (and last) highlight they showed on that kid after the Jets picked him was him sacking Cody (in I believe the first pass attempt after Zach got hurt) at the Rent in 2009.

When Irvin & Jones were drafted they did the same thing, started and ended with the same clip of a sack of UConn QB and if they had another they threw that one in the middle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We absolutely are. They had to go back to '09 to get a Coples highlight? The first (and last) highlight they showed on that kid after the Jets picked him was him sacking Cody (in I believe the first pass attempt after Zach got hurt) at the Rent in 2009.

When Irvin & Jones were drafted they did the same thing, started and ended with the same clip of a sack of UConn QB and if they had another they threw that one in the middle.

The only way that ESPN can justify some of these people as being capable of playing at the next level is if they can find an example of them having a good play against UConn. I can't argue with that philosophy, actually. If they can make a good play against UConn, then they can make a good play against the Cowboys...

Reaction Score
After Kendall just went to San Diego and realizing it will be a while until the next husky, if there is one, is drafted I decided to look at the upcoming seniors and consider how many could be drafted next year. Trying to remain as unbiased as possible, which isn't easy, I want to say that it could be a big year next year with the amount of huskies that could be drafted. I don't necessarily think we will have any high 1st or 2nd round picks but the list of possibles/probables is pretty large.......

Probable:
Sio Moore
Blidi Wreh-Wilson
Dwayne Gratz
Trevardo Williams (If he has another year like last year hes gotta be considered as a speed rushing OLB)
Jesse Joseph (As long as he stays healthy he should be uber productive this year)

Possible:
Adam Masters
Ryan Griffin
Michael Smith

Nick Williams (Could find his way on as UFA special teams returner ala Larry Taylor)

This is a good list but I have a few different opinions:

1st Day Picks:

None

2nd Day Picks

Sio Moore - Will Show out with athleticism. Undisciplined but makes plays(ala zach brown 2nd rounder this year)
Blidi Wreh Wilson - technically sound, he'll run a 4.45 or something like that, good size(6'2 200), tackles well.

3rd day picks

Trevardo Williams - Great speed rusher, strong, but undersized @ 6'1 240. Have to transition to Rush OLB situational guy.
Ryan Griffin - Numbers will be great(6'6, 240... 4.6 40?) but unless he has a huge breakout year production will merit 4th/5th round
Jesse Joseph - Production is great, size is OK, will depend on how he tests out. Think he's a technician will have to show athleticism.

UFA

Dwayne Gratz - technically sound, tough, tackler... I doubt his speed will merit draft ranking. Hope he surprises. could make transition to safety?
Nick Williams - a la welker, will have to grind to make a team on specials, see if he can take advantage of reps at WR
Mike Smith - Dont see the athleticism being top-notch, so his production this year must be very high. Polished, smooth.

Reaction Score
On NFLDraftBlitz (guy I used to know runs the site)...

Griffin is the 6th ranked TE (so day 3 sounds reasonable, with a huge season leading to a big jump)
Sio Moore is the 9th ranked OLB
Blidi is the 9th ranked CB

No one else is listed. I was surprised not to see Travardo, becuase I agree that he has a role in the league as a situational rusher. A lot can change for all of these guys, though, with great senior years.

Reaction Score

Probable:
Sio Moore
Blidi Wreh-Wilson
Dwayne Gratz

Possible:
Adam Masters
Ryan Griffin
Michael Smith

OMG! Let's get thru this season, before we start picking next years probablies. UConn has no definitive QB which bears as much on your TE pix as their probability of making it to the next level. Hopefully he (whoever he is) can get it in their hands or near them at least. Defense picz depend on being in a position to make the playsz. I'd give your pix more credence after the 4th or 5th game this year. I could go on, but you should get the picture. But I like your attempt at predicting. Debate is a good thing. Especially with this crowd. So in foresight, letz c what the NFL 2012 draft mongers have to say. And that won't happen 'til well into the fall. Hit us up again after game 6. :D

Reaction Score
OMG! Let's get thru this season, before we start picking next years probablies. UConn has no definitive QB which bears as much on your TE pix as their probability of making it to the next level. Hopefully he (whoever he is) can get it in their hands or near them at least. Defense picz depend on being in a position to make the playsz. I'd give your pix more credence after the 4th or 5th game this year. I could go on, but you should get the picture. But I like your attempt at predicting. Debate is a good thing. Especially with this crowd. So in foresight, letz c what the NFL 2012 draft mongers have to say. And that won't happen 'til well into the fall. Hit us up again after game 6. :D

Figured I'd get a few of your type replying to this post. Listen if you don't have an inclining of curiosity or intrigue on the future than don't respond. Personally 80% of the posts on this site are referring to the future (ie. recruits decisions that won't be official until February of 2013 or February of 2014). The sports realm is all about prediction, foresight and prognosticating. How about you try not to be too good for that. Everything I posted was obviously an early prediction for the present time and may not be what will actually happen. As to after game 3 or 4 I'll post my predictions again then and compare them to what I had 7 months earlier. That's what predicting is all about. All those draft mongers or experts you talk about already have their rough drafts for 2013, so I'll make mine too :D

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Guys. Seriously?

Do you honestly think ESPN has some sort of anti-UConn sentiment and is displaying that by showing us in as many highlights as possible (as if anyone would notice UConn showing up in all of these highlights and think "wow, they must suck!" anyway)? Some of you guys must have missed the 2010 draft, when Donald Brown, Cody Brown, Will Beatty, and Darius Butler were shown together before ESPN cut to a commercial break.

As for Coples? The guy is awful, and the only play I have ever seen him make was against Endres (and I have seen UNC play quite a few times).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Moore and Williams will both be drafted IMO. Both will be productive once again in this aggressive defense, though Moore's coverage skills scare me. Wreh-Wilson has an excellent chance as well, and don't count out Bennett in a late round if he has a monster year....not holding my breath on that, the poor guy.

I see 3-4 huskies drafted, all between rounds 4-6.

Reaction Score
If Trevardo Williams repeats his stats from last year, he should be a Day 2 pick. We know he is blazing fast, and 3-4 teams will be all over him.

It's a big year for Blidi. Needs to show he is 100% back from his injury, and then has to run well. He also has the upside of a day 2 pick.

Jesse Joseph is kind of the forgotten man, but he showed at the end of last year he is fully healthy. He is a 3 down end, kind of a rarity. He holds up well against the run, and is a good pass rusher. I think he has a really good shot of getting drafted.

Sio Moore needs to improve quite a bit to get drafted. He makes big plays, but he is also very undisciplined. Also a big liability in coverage. There is no questioning his athleticism, so maybe another year in Don Brown's D will help.

With NFL teams incorporating receiving tight ends more and more, Ryan Griffin definitely has a shot to be drafted. It will all depend on this season. He has shown glimpses of being a great receiver, if he puts it all together this year, he should get the call.

Reaction Score
Figured I'd get a few of your type replying to this post. Listen if you don't have an inclining of curiosity or intrigue on the future than don't respond. Personally 80% of the posts on this site are referring to the future (ie. recruits decisions that won't be official until February of 2013 or February of 2014). The sports realm is all about prediction, foresight and prognosticating. How about you try not to be too good for that. Everything I posted was obviously an early prediction for the present time and may not be what will actually happen. As to after game 3 or 4 I'll post my predictions again then and compare them to what I had 7 months earlier. That's what predicting is all about. All those draft mongers or experts you talk about already have their rough drafts for 2013, so I'll make mine too :D
Responding to posts is what it's all about. Try not to take it personally. You must be the touchy type. Standing by for the next attack. :D

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were going to set a uconn record for draft picks next year.

Reaction Score
A lot of UConn players, former and current, have been ticked off by the negative highlights throughout the draft. Apparently this has been going on for years.

At this point, I kinda wish ESPN would just move on to Greensboro or Austin and get things over with. Why are they still here in Connecticut?...
Have you seen their local infrastructure? They are still putting up real buildings. I'd also guess they paid less than you did in taxes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guys. Seriously?

Do you honestly think ESPN has some sort of anti-UConn sentiment and is displaying that by showing us in as many highlights as possible (as if anyone would notice UConn showing up in all of these highlights and think "wow, they must suck!" anyway)? Some of you guys must have missed the 2010 draft, when Donald Brown, Cody Brown, Will Beatty, and Darius Butler were shown together before ESPN cut to a commercial break.

As for Coples? The guy is awful, and the only play I have ever seen him make was against Endres (and I have seen UNC play quite a few times).

Yes they honestly do. The helicopters they see don't carry Schiano.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
------------------
Interested as to ur thoughts?

i'm just all hype :D

i do think we will have a couple guys drafted but based off the year we have i think there is real potential for guys like jj, vardo and jennings to blow up and become names to know.

Reaction Score
i'm just all hype :D

i do think we will have a couple guys drafted but based off the year we have i think there is real potential for guys like jj, vardo and jennings to blow up and become names to know.

Hype is how half the recruits get rated year to year so it can't b all bad.........

Reaction Score
Quick question re: ESPN disrespecting us. Can anyone tell me when Uconn switched from black/dark blue face masks on their FB helmets to white?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I love it when they show UConn on these player highlights. Anytime we can get the public to see the block C on a football highlight, its a good thing. So what if it's a big play against us. Every play is against somebody. It not only ratifies that we're playing against the best, but it subscribes to the old PR adage,---good play or bad play, just spell our name right.
A friend of mine in PR once told his client to wear garish colored clothes to a celebrity's funeral--"They'll talk about you the next day in the columns".

Reaction Score
The only thing worse than being on the wrong side of highlights -- is not being in highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom