OT: - Preseason NFL | The Boneyard

OT: Preseason NFL

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hitting is apparently now illegal. Anyone watching?

I know it's the preseason, and the refs are throwing flags to 'learn the new rules', but if the regular season looks remotely like this, it will no longer be a watchable product.

The arguments over the catch rule were nothing compared to this crap.

Reaction Score
During the Patriots-Eagles game the other day one of the TV commentators had an interesting comment. A ball carrier ducked down to avoid a legal shoulder hit from a defender but because of the way the ball carrier moved his body the defender's helmet ended up hitting him also and he was flagged. The commentator said he didn't know how any defender could avoid that since the head is connected to the shoulders and moves in the same direction when trying to hit a moving object. He has a point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
During the Patriots-Eagles game the other day one of the TV commentators had an interesting comment. A ball carrier ducked down to avoid a legal shoulder hit from a defender but because of the way the ball carrier moved his body the defender's helmet ended up hitting him also and he was flagged. The commentator said he didn't know how any defender could avoid that since the head is connected to the shoulders and moves in the same direction when trying to hit a moving object. He has a point.

I saw that and got up and left. It's impossible for guys to adjust.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you are supposed to sack the QB anymore.
Textbook rush.
Textbook hit.

Guess gotta throw out textbook.

QBs and skill positions are where the viewer $ is. Nobody - NOBODY - wants to watch whoever the backup is, except that dude's mom and dad and girlfriend.

$$. It will be watchable.

I won't watch it, but somebody will.

Reaction Score
Why didn't he just go for the QBs flag? Taking him to the ground was classless.

WTFHead bang

These striped idiots are already awful the rules committee just made them worst.

Reaction Score

They want them to hit like Rugby players.

This is about the future of the sport. Formerly legal hits like the one against Brandin Cooks in the Super Bowl are going to be eliminated. Players will start tackling like rugby players do.

It can be done, it just has to be taught.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why didn't he just go for the QBs flag? Taking him to the ground was classless.

Fact. Just not using his brain on that one. Not a smart player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They want them to hit like Rugby players.

This is about the future of the sport. Formerly legal hits like the one against Brandin Cooks in the Super Bowl are going to be eliminated. Players will start tackling like rugby players do.

It can be done, it just has to be taught.

That sack I showed above would have been fine by rugby standards. That was a form tackle.

The only option seems to be absolutely no contact of the quarterback. Or flags for the QBs, while said in joking above, might be the answer.

Reaction Score
That sack I showed above would have been fine by rugby standards. That was a form tackle.

The only option seems to be absolutely no contact of the quarterback. Or flags for the QBs, while said in joking above, might be the answer.

I was not referring to that sack.

That sack wasn't a helmet hit either.

Reaction Score
Get rid of all these rules and just make bigger pads and helmets. Guys are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before so the equipment while improved is too small. Back in the 70s the pads and helmets looked huge. Make them bigger even if it looks rediculous. lol!

Reaction Score
Get rid of all these rules and just make bigger pads and helmets. Guys are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before so the equipment while improved is too small. Back in the 70s the pads and helmets looked huge. Make them bigger even if it looks rediculous. lol!
BubbleBall-MD.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Football is a mess, it no longer resembles the game I grew up with. No sense in waiting, just make it flag football already.

For the record, I've no problem with them taking head shots or defenseless receiver out of the game, especially given what the latest research is telling us. But they've completely and utterly jumped the shark. You can't play defense anymore.

Reaction Score
I will enjoy watching the Giants and the NFL this season but as I talk to parents of young kids, they want nothing to do with football. I expect an even higher makeup of the NFL from the economically disadvantaged part of the population. I watched a perfectly legal hit the other day where the receiver was blasted in the head with nothing called, and barely stumbled away. Who would want that to happen on a regular basis? And this stuff is not going to show up on your health until your 50’s or 60’s.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Could go the other way. No helmets.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you are supposed to sack the QB anymore.

The penalty should have been on the right tackle and running back for not protecting their quarterback. Nary a finger was laid on the rusher.

Reaction Score
I get trying to protect the players with safety and all and I do think with more awareness out there with concussions and all it does make a difference but common sense needs to apply to the rules, hopefully the NFL eases up a little with the new helmet rule, unfortunately its gonna get the point where its gonna cost a team a game and star players sounding off on the rules, with the way its going right now the XFL could over take the NFL ratings and you might get some well known players to join the XFL.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
These games mean nothing in terms of regular season and playoffs, and they do typically lessen the points of emphasis, come week 1.

I wonder if they are still considering an 18 game regular season...

I like the game of rugby. I try to watch Rugby 7s whenever it is on. That said, I don't want to watch it when I'm expecting American Football on Sunday Afternoons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the game of rugby. I try to watch Rugby 7s whenever it is on. That said, I don't want to watch it when I'm expecting American Football on Sunday Afternoons.

It's a totally different game. They will still be playing football. The difference will be players will try to tackle each other instead of delivering the hardest hit they can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom