Post-Week 3 Bowl Projections | The Boneyard

Post-Week 3 Bowl Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not as good as pre-season projections, but the win over UVA put us back on some projections listings.

Jerry Palm - CBS
12/17 - Cure Bowl, Orlando FL vs App St
Bowl Projections

Mark Schalbach/Brett McMurphy - ESPN
None
Bowl projections: Can Louisville crash NYE party?

SB Nation
12/19 - Miami Beach Bowl, Miami FL vs Northern Illinois
Updated bowl projections, with Louisville *in*

College Football News
12/23/16 - Bahamas Bowl, Nassau Bahamas vs Akron
Week 3 College Football Playoff & Bowl Projections

Reaction Score
I take that as the "experts" still think we can win 6 games, even though most of the BY does not.

I'd sign for 6 wins in a nanosecond right now. Their bowl hopes are really riding on this game Saturday. We lose and go to 2-2 I don't know if there's 4 more wins on the schedule.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
IDK what you are talking about. Cuse, BC, Tulane, and UCF get's to 6 without an upset. Add in Temple and ECU as maybe/back ups and we are far from hopeless. UH, UC, and USF look tough but UC is at home and we always play USF close.

Saturday is an important one, it will decide if the Navy loss has legs.

Reaction Score
IDK what you are talking about. Cuse, BC, Tulane, and UCF get's to 6 without an upset. Add in Temple and ECU as maybe/back ups and we are far from hopeless. UH, UC, and USF look tough but UC is at home and we always play USF close.

Saturday is an important one, it will decide if the Navy loss has legs.

Are we really better than any of those teams? Not every opponent is going to $h!+ their pants against us like UVA did . . .

Reaction Score
I see this season following the same path each game has thus far. UConn gets off to a slow start and hits their stride in the second half . We will be 3-4 coming out of the USF game (beating SU, losing @UH, UC, and @USF), and end up 7-5 (beating UCF, losing @ECU, beating Temple, @BC, and Tulane). We'll go to some bowl in (or just off the coast of) Florida and play a MAC/CUSA/SB school.

Reaction Score
Are we really better than any of those teams? Not every opponent is going to $h!+ their pants against us like UVA did . . .

We are better than UCF and Tulane. That's four. At home, I'm not sure that any of the other three aren't winnable: Syracuse, Temple and Cincy. Certainly, winning 2 of those 3 is not a reach. That would get us to six.

At BC will be a winnable game. The road games at ECU, USF and Houston will be difficult, very difficult and close to impossible.

But thinking that we have a good chance to get to 7 if we win against the Orange is very realistic.

Reaction Score
We are better than UCF and Tulane. That's four. At home, I'm not sure that any of the other three aren't winnable: Syracuse, Temple and Cincy. Certainly, winning 2 of those 3 is not a reach. That would get us to six.

At BC will be a winnable game. The road games at ECU, USF and Houston will be difficult, very difficult and close to impossible.

But thinking that we have a good chance to get to 7 if we win against the Orange is very realistic.

I don't know. Other than Tulane, nobody on the schedule looks to be demonstrably worse than UVA, which was a virtual stalemate at home.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Other than Tulane, nobody on the schedule looks to be demonstrably worse than UVA, which was a virtual stalemate at home.
You know that is not how sports work?

Reaction Score
You know that is not how sports work?

You mean the games are actually played on the field? Jeez, I didn't know that . . .

But if you're going to make predictions, it can be helpful to actually pay attention to what happened in the games that have already been played . . .

Reaction Score
You mean the games are actually played on the field? Jeez, I didn't know that . . .

But if you're going to make predictions, it can be helpful to actually pay attention to what happened in the games that have already been played . . .

Everyone is. Could we fall apart and go 4-8? Sure we could. We haven't proven enough where that would be shocking. But have we shown enough to to date compared to what our opponents have shown to think we're going to win most of our home games and have a good chance of getting to do or just beyond .500? Sure we have.

We are a minus 2 in turnovers through 3 games. last year, we were plus a large amount. In 3 games, due to injury 4 different players have played LG. And through rumor combined with what we've seen, a key offensive weapon seems to be just coming around to where he can get stuff done. There is no reason to think what we've seen to date is all we will see for the year.

Reaction Score

Tulane also hung tough with Navy last week before losing 21-14...might not be a the walk we expect.

Reaction Score
We are a minus 2 in turnovers through 3 games. last year, we were plus a large amount. In 3 games, due to injury 4 different players have played LG. And through rumor combined with what we've seen, a key offensive weapon seems to be just coming around to where he can get stuff done. There is no reason to think what we've seen to date is all we will see for the year.

All fair points. However, despite the turnover margin, you can point to several plays where we have had extraordinary good fortune independent of what we have done on the field. Would people believe that we are capable of beating SU, Temple, Cincy, or UCF if, for example, a UVA defender's arm just happens to catch a facemask as he gets turned around 30 yards from the play, or Bronco doesn't butcher his own clock management late in the game, or Navy's starting QB doesn't get hurt?

I'm not normally this pessimistic. I just have a sense that, based on what I've seen from us and our opponents, that our record is the result of some extremely good luck, and that our three opponents to date have consisted of one very average AAC team missing its QB and two monumentally awful non-conference foes.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I still stand by my pre-season prediction of UConn in the Military Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom