Post Game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Post Game thread

Reaction Score
Read the post on who else offered USF’s players. They are not talented.
They fit better together, theyre a more complete team. They have bigs who can rebound and finish we don't. They have a upperclassmen leader who gives 110%, we don't. That's recruiting. These arent Hurley's recruits. He's cooking with another mans groceries. We dont have a big who can wash yetna's draws

Reaction Score
I hear what you’re saying and agree that recruiting is imperfect once you get outside the top 20, so I wouldn’t argue if we were comparing UConn and say Houston. But there is a chasm in raw talent between our guys and USF’s guys so if you’re right that they are a more complete team, it has to be the coaching.
You can't blame Hurley for the players that are on this roster. If 2-3 years down the road we still have this problem then I will agree with you.

The way Ollie recruited/coached these players and the way that Hurley recruits/coaches don't add up. As much as Jalen Adams has talent, his style/attitude will never work in Hurley's system. Same with many players on this roster recruited by Ollie.

Hurley would probably do better with lesser name recruits that work better with his system.

Reaction Score
You can't blame Hurley for the players that are on this roster. If 2-3 years down the road we still have this problem then I will agree with you.

The way Ollie recruited/coached these players and the way that Hurley recruits/coaches don't add up. As much as Jalen Adams has talent, his style/attitude will never work in Hurley's system. Same with many players on this roster recruited by Ollie.

Hurley would probably do better with lesser name recruits that work better with his system.
Like he did at URI

Reaction Score
They fit better together, theyre a more complete team. They have bigs who can rebound and finish we don't. They have a upperclassmen leader who gives 110%, we don't. That's recruiting. These arent Hurley's recruits. He's cooking with another mans groceries. We dont have a big who can wash yetna's draws

We’re talking about USF, not Duke. They have worse players but “fit better” and play harder - that’s better coaching. I love Hurley but he’s not off to a great start with Xs and Os.

Reaction Score
We get very little out of the front court guys. Cobb has rebounded in a couple games v the. P5 teams & scored; tonight showed how little defense he plays; we get little out of Carlton. Maybe Yawke would have provided something tonight. That being said, I think Huurley is in a bit of a bind - he doesn’t have the players to play how he wants to play for an entire game. If he compromises his system, it takes longer to get it in.
We will always be playing 4 on 5 so I figure play yak and Cobb together. At least we won’t get pushed around so much. And Cobb does get boards on the defensive end

Reaction Score
We’re talking about USF, not Duke. They have worse players but “fit better” and play harder - that’s better coaching. I love Hurley but he’s not off to a great start with Xs and Os.
Wrong. Its starts with recruiting. I don't see how this is hard to understand. Fit and attitude is a roster construction problem. You recruit for fit and attitude, ask Geno. X's and O's has zero to do with attitude and fit. Hurley is not responsible for this roster construction. Next year expectations for me will be different as Hurley will begin to bring in his guys.

Reaction Score
After the Cuse game it was "see the results when they're actually being coached, Hurley has already re-shaped the culture", now when they're getting the ears stomped together by USF its "he doesn't have anything to work with, there's no talent"...I expect better in a few years like he did with Wagner and URI(his offensive system has its limitations tho), but keep that same energy throughout, don't switch up the narrative just to fit an agenda.

Reaction Score
After the Cuse game it was "see the results when they're actually being coached, Hurley has already re-shaped the culture", now when they're getting the ears stomped together by USF its "he doesn't have anything to work with, there's no talent"...I expect better in a few years like he did with Wagner and URI(his offensive system has its limitations tho), but keep that same energy throughout, don't switch up the narrative just to fit an agenda.
You're 100% right. We completely overreacted after Cuse. But could you blame us lol

Reaction Score
Wrong. Its starts with recruiting. I don't see how this is hard to understand. Fit and attitude is a roster construction problem. You recruit for fit and attitude, ask Geno. X's and O's has zero to do with attitude and fit. Hurley is not responsible for this roster construction. Next year expectations for me will be different as Hurley will begin to bring in his guys.

Right...USF has such an edge recruiting. Look at all the talent they brought in. I take it back - Hurley did a great job tonight, just got overwhelmed by all of USF’s future lottery picks.

David Collins (212) - Cincy, Drexel, Duquense, Long Island
Laquincy Rideau (NR) - Began career at Gardner Webb
Alexis Yetna (325) - Cincy, Charlotte, Drexel, Duquesne
Justin Brown (NR) - Unclear who else was recruiting him

Reaction Score
Right...USF has such an edge recruiting. Look at all the talent they brought in. I take it back - Hurley did a great job tonight, just got overwhelmed by all of USF’s future lottery picks.

David Collins (212) - Cincy, Drexel, Duquense, Long Island
Laquincy Rideau (NR) - Began career at Gardner Webb
Alexis Yetna (325) - Cincy, Charlotte, Drexel, Duquesne
Justin Brown (NR) - Unclear who else was recruiting him
If thats what you got out of what i said cool lol

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There are some people on here who legitimately believe that Tyler Polley is playing out of position and should be playing small forward lol. He can’t stay in front of power forwards as it is.

Reaction Score
If thats what you got out of what i said cool lol
You said it “starts with recruiting” yet its clear USF does a terrible job recruiting. Let’s stop pretending we just lost to a juggernaut. We lost to a far less talented team.

I said in my OP that I love Hurley, glad he’s here but that doesn’t mean he’s off to a great start with the Xs and Os.

Reaction Score
You said it “starts with recruiting” yet its clear USF does a terrible job recruiting. Let’s stop pretending we just lost to a juggernaut. We lost to a far less talented team.

I said in my OP that I love Hurley, glad he’s here but that doesn’t mean he’s off to a great start with the Xs and Os.
Ok I quit lmaoo. You keep repeating the same dumb stuff about rankings. When no one is talking about rankings. Carlton was ranked higher than yetna. Who's better? Fit and building a balanced team is more important than collecting a bunch a higher ranked players at random

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
LOVE our recruiting class coming in next year and they will obviously give us a huge talent injection. With that said, they are somehow less physical and more finesse than the players we have now! I hope these kids hit the gym hard.

Reaction Score
Right now this program is more or less in the CBB version of an FBS football program ‘Year Zero’ re-set. This is going to take Hurley three plus years to fix. So I guess shut up, sit down, and enjoy the ride. We will get there but for several recruiting classes.

For damn sure this ain’t a tournament team. NCAAs, NIT, CBT....none of ‘em. This roster is *trash*.

Reaction Score
Right now this program is more or less in the CBB version of an FBS football program ‘Year Zero’ re-set. This is going to take Hurley three plus years to fix. So I guess shut up, sit down, and enjoy the ride. We will get there but for several recruiting classes.

For damn sure this ain’t a tournament team. NCAAs, NIT, CBT....none of ‘em. This roster is *trash*.
I don’t agree with the 3 plus years. He needs to have this fixed by year 3. Basketball unlike football takes just one great player or a couple good ones to turn things around. We need to see the ship going the right direction by the end of next year at least.

Reaction Score
I don’t agree with the 3 plus years. He needs to have this fixed by year 3. Basketball unlike football takes just one great player or a couple good ones to turn things around. We need to see the ship going the right direction by the end of next year at least.
UCONN doesn’t have the juice to pull 5 star kids right now.

The Ollie/Calhoun transition put a lot of bullets in the program and it’s going to take years to recover from the damage. I say at least three years because he has to re-establish UCONN’s reputation before he can leverage it for recruiting purposes. He’s also going to have to learn to attract ‘one and done’ kids which I don’t think he’s ever recruited. Comes down to do you want to be merely competitive or competitively dominant?

Looooooong way to go.

Reaction Score
I always love the boneyard overreaction one way or another. We’re either final 4 or winning 2 conference games.
Few thoughts from the actual game:

1) we haven’t put in a full game in a while. Some continued trends are closing/opening half’s poorly. Needs to definitely be addressed
2)USF was NOT more talented than us. They are however more physical & a more complete team. Talk about rankings all you want, but if I gave you a chance to trade our bigs for theirs, you’d be a fool to turn it down, they’re simply better.
3) Polley seems like he’s strictly a situational player, a sniper & nothing more. In games like tonight when his shot doesn’t fall, he simply doesn’t offer anything else. Too slow & flat footed to guard a 3, too weak/“soft” to play the 4.
4)At the end of the day, the team is what it is. Its’s what DH inherited & I guess I’m confused as to what people want him to do? There were definitely opportunities where maybe we call a TO, but idk what more he can do with these players. End of the day we have a BBIQ deficiency. After breaks/TO’s it seemed like we had well designed plays & executed them for buckets. Unfortunately, we can’t call TO’s every time we’re in a half court setting. I think some of this blame is unfairly being transferred from players to the staff & that’s not necessarily fair IMO.
5) Lastly, I really hope all the CV hate can finally die down. Dude is the one player on this team that seems to have PRIDE to play for the school & feels a responsibility to the name on the front of his jersey. Unfortunately, this roster lacks guys like that.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
3 guard lineup needs to go away. We can't rebound. They might rebound in practice because they are going up against ourselves. Put Sid in at the 3. Cant continue to give up so many second shots.
Put Sid in for defense and hard drives at the rim. No more shooting for him. Its embarrassing.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
As for who on this team is tough or mentally tough? Maybe AG and maybe vital (but not mentally). Vital gives u 100 but .that’s it. No one else. Maybe Sid will be one day. Everyone else is soft as f@&$!!!
I think Sid will be tough.

Reaction Score
He makes no adjustments. Beyond the sideline theatrics, I am starting to worry there isn't much else in his arsenal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I should have birdboxed myself for this game
I don't know what "birdboxed myself" means, but...
I wrote some low energy haiku,
drove to Bear's new location in New Haven (The Stack),
bought a box of twenty 50¢ wings,
returned home & confirmed I didn't have a way to stream the game,
opened up the IMG feed on TuneIn,
felt relief when my daughter called & the audio was interrupted (UConn up 18-10),
entered Chat during halftime & asked a question on streaming that seemed to go unanswered, and
woke up during the early stages of the post-game show.

There were two wings remaining in the container.

Did I get birdboxed?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Talking huevos. I like Cobb a lot. Don’t know why the loyalty to Carlton over him. The small ball only works when we are hitting threes as well. Traditional pf and c with wings is the way.
I am glad you brought that up. Why are we consistently small ball? It is a fine plan for certain teams. But all the time?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom