Post Game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Post Game thread

Reaction Score
He better and I hope so. Or these 840 games start at 1020 against central Wyoming state on Facebook. I can’t imagine ticket sales blowing up for many games this year against the other teams not picked last in the aac. Recruiting will die on the vine. I’m so damn sad and I’m a 45 year old father of three. I should never have bought all this UConn swag at bob’s after 2015.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand what Hurley’s substitution strategy was tonight. Seems like he was subbing just to get guys minutes instead of subbing based on who was playing smart and with effort. When the energy is that low and guys are making boneheaded plays left and right (turnovers, not boxing out, etc.) I wish he would call a timeout and lay into a guy. Tough love gets a player’s attention (example: Jim Calhoun). My dad texted me during that five minute stretch at the start of the second half saying if he was Hurley he would have called a timeout and said “the next guy to throw the ball away is walking back to CT”.

With that said Hurley can’t make the 3 go in for Polley or stop the free throw shooter from getting the rebound, but c’mon. He has to set the tone that this kind of play is unacceptable at UConn. Mistakes like that against Nova are understandable, but at the end of the day this was USF and we still had the better players.

Have you gotten the impression that Hurley is the quiet and reserved type? You think he didn't yell at anybody?

Reaction Score
Regarding the Jalen hate. Keep in mind the coaches selected him preseason POY. They all see something.
Hurley said a lot of good things about him too before he got here. Jalen has all the tools in the world. He doesn't have the desire.

Reaction Score
Lackadaisical, if you prefer. Calhoun might say they lack intensity. They are not crisp. They need a heart transplant.

Watch the lazy passes. The failure to box out. No hard screens. Constantly beaten to the rim.

Riddle me this Batman. Who on this team would you describe as "tough?" Or mentally tough?

Reaction Score
Is Jalen Adams really all that "talented" or can he just do cool things every now and then? His whole career he's been touted as this super talented player but he's never lived up to that billing. He isn't really all that athletic, he can't shoot, he's a lazy defender, he plays with no energy or passion. What is he great or elite at? I'm not even sure he's better than CV at this point. My expectations for him have plummeted. Simply because for the first time in his career I don't even believe he's capable of being more at this point. And the sad thing is i dont believe he thinks he is either

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Regarding the Jalen hate. Keep in mind the coaches selected him preseason POY. They all see something.
Not true, he was selected unanimous first team all conference. B.J. Taylor was selected preseason POY.

Reaction Score
Yetna had a great game. Boy the old guard F%$#&@ up on that one. Cobb is terrible and Carlton should transfer to one of the other state schools. Come on coaching staff... we need 2 bigs next year!

Reaction Score
Polley is a good player, he just doesn’t fit well as a 4, and especially isn’t a good fit as a 4 when our 5 can’t rebound

He does some nice things offensively, but he's too slow and can't move laterally to defend the 3 position and too weak and too passive at rebounding to play the 4. He should be used as the hot hand, and thats it. Not 30 mins when he can't buy a shot.

Reaction Score
I miss JC's quick hook too, but with about 10 minutes left in the half, he had 5 guys with 3 fouls. Not much wiggle room on who to play.

Reaction Score
Lackadaisical, if you prefer. Calhoun might say they lack intensity. They are not crisp. They need a hear transplant.

Watch the lazy passes. The failure to box out. No hard screens. Constantly beaten to the rim.

Riddle me this Batman. Who on this team would you describe as "tough?" Or mentally tough?
They at least had that drive earlier in the year. Adversity against big boy teams seems to have completely and totally erased that.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Polley is hurting this team. Has 1 rebound in 3 games. He has to hit threes and he hasn’t been. Can’t play D.

Hurley can’t do much with this roster. Just like Ollie. Oh well season over. We will have a losing season again. I don’t care what anyone says. This is not a good USF team. Scrappy yes but not good.
Bet your ass Sid is starting over him next game after this performance. Not to say that’s going to help us because Sid has his own issues he looks lost out there half the time.

Reaction Score
How did the USF coach adjust with a far less talented team? Love Hurley, great hire but let’s be honest - he’s not off to a great start on the court. Fortunately his most important job this year (recruiting) is off to a great start.

The only adjusment he made was going to rim once they saw how the game was being called the 2nd half. I’m not sure I would say USF was a far less talented team than us based on the last 25 minutes of this game. This team is not showing it is that much better than the past couple of teams as far as talent goes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand what Hurley’s substitution strategy was tonight. Seems like he was subbing just to get guys minutes instead of subbing based on who was playing smart and with effort.

He's been doing that all year. At some point, you guys will realize he is trying to figure out the roster more than he's trying to get a surprise NCAA bid.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
How did the USF coach adjust with a far less talented team? Love Hurley, great hire but let’s be honest - he’s not off to a great start on the court. Fortunately his most important job this year (recruiting) is off to a great start.

Posted this in a diff. thread but thought it was more relevant here.

Minus a few good possessions by Alterique, Rideau got to the rim all night. He was the best player on the court tonight hands down. Our guards didn't have an answer for him defensively & our front court got absolutely manhandled on the boards. Remind me again how exactly are we the more talented team than USF?

Reaction Score
You really want to die on the hill of "2016 #8 recruiting class", don't you.

I'm making the point that everyone keeps complaining about talent this and talent that..... then we lose to USF. To say that Jalen Adams, Gilbert, Polley, Wilson and Carlton (Xavier and Clemson offers btw) are awful and that poor Hurley just has nothing to work with is ridiculous. Lets get real ... the coaching has sucked... second half adjustments have been god awful. Hopefully he does what great coaches do and figures it out soon.

I want to add that this is on the players too.. they play undisciplined basketball. But that starts with coaching... Calhoun would throw walk ins in over super stars when deemed necessary.. and it often worked.

Reaction Score
2nd half of Villanova: 19-0 run.
2nd half of USF: 22-7 or something.

He fails to make adjustments after the half. Sure the players are also playing like complete losers but come on man.
Adjust to what...??? The dude is no miracle worker, this is the same team from last year, even with the additions.. this team reflects bad habits from prior coaching staff and the lack of a big man or two is the Achilles heal of this team. You thought this was bad, wait until Cincy, UCF, etc..

Reaction Score
The minute the other team makes a run on us and the momentum shifts, we turtle up. This group of players are so weak mentally. They break so easily it's amost ridiculous. There is just zero mental toughness. They let their bad offense affect their defense and vice versa. It just snowballs and gets away from us. It's like Groundhog day.

Reaction Score
Lackadaisical, if you prefer. Calhoun might say they lack intensity. They are not crisp. They need a hear transplant.

Vital is the only tough player. Jalen's attitude, softness and low basketball IQ permeate this team. Everything about him screams I don't care. Waste of great talent and I feel like he brings the team down w him. I think Syd will get there too someday. Everyone else I could do without.

Reaction Score

Vital. Maybe Tarin Smith. Possibly Yakwe.

All of them are limited in other ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom