Portal Shopping List | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anybody know when the transfer portal closes? Or is it like 7/11?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If you had to choose between Beers and Iriafen which would it be? I’d opt for Iriafen just for the greater mobility and a great midrange game, and an excellent rim protector.
Iriafen for sure! Are there rumors that she might leave Stanford? If so, she would be my number one priority! I think she’s better than Brink!

Reaction Score
I have a better chance of winning the powerball lottery or reaching Geno’s number of wins in the coaching game than Hailey Van Lith being on the UConn roster this coming season. If they did add her my guess is there would be one of our current roster in the portal & I would hate to see that. If there is an addition it would be at the 4 or 5 position, at least in my opinion- which is worth exactly what you’re paying to get it. JMO
I don’t think Hailey Van Lith would even see the floor here! She has way too many weaknesses that would constantly require help from other players. The biggest one is that on the day she signed, she would immediately become our worst defender. She does have some talent and is tough, but she would be best suited on a team where the coach game planned around her strengths a nd weaknesses. That’s what she had at Louisville with Jeff. In retrospect, it was a huuuge mistake for her to leave there

Reaction Score
FYI: I saw that Janiah Tyir Elise Barker, out of Texas A & M, was in the portal. She is
listed as 6'4" currently. But, back in 2021 she was listed as 6'1" when she won GOLD as part of
the USA U18 WOMEN's 3X3 World's Championship. That team included: Mikalyah
Williams 6'0", now at LSU, Kiki Rice, 5'11", now at UCLA, AND UCONN's
AYANNA RENEE PATTERSON,!!!!then listed as 6'1". So.... TEAMMATES!! Any
speculation on UCONN taking from the PORTAL this past teammate of YANNA?
That was a great team! She is a very athletic young woman. Talk to GENO,
Yanna, this could be an option!

Reaction Score
But only speculations. I think Mr Auriemma and his staff like so much building and modelling players, so it is difficult to find out kids who are used in different environment and with different methods that are willing to learn from zero in maybe just a couple of years. The discipline, the sacrifice, the respect, hard hard work. IMHO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Portal closes May 1. NLI signing period goes from April 17 to May 15.
Isn't that 'closes to new transfers' expecting to play next year, and isn't there an unlimited time for those already in the portal on May 1 to sign with a new team?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does anybody know when the transfer portal closes? Or is it like 7/11?:rolleyes:
My understanding is to qualify for play at the start of 2024-25 season you must enter by May 1. You can enter at any time before the next semester but no guarantee to be granted ability to play at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
If you had to choose between Beers and Iriafen which would it be? I’d opt for Iriafen just for the greater mobility and a great midrange game, and an excellent rim protector.
I think Geno would prefer Iriafen. I would prefer Beers because of her size. She wouldn't be easily displaced and she is far more effective in the paint. I think Beers can perfect the midrange, but you can't teach Iriafen Beers' size. Go Huskies!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My question is similar to the HS recruits of interest, will we hear if UConn has contacted any?

As a subtle (or NOT so subtle reminder to my peers) we have Paige for 1 more year. Bringing in more Freshmen is not logical with an eye for a 12th championship. We need experienced players against top level schools. Lucy Olsen and Kaitlyn Chen are nice players, I wish them well, but in my estimation they do not help us in areas where we are deficient or have injury recovery concerns. Same for Kelly, Hailey Van Lith and Scherr, none is an efficient shooter nor elite defender. So far in the portal, I would say Timea Gardiner adds size, defends the front court/posts and is a strong 3 point shooter at 39.5% and fits the UConn high post offense. Beers, if she enters the portal has 2 years left and is a good passer as well as a true post to work with Jana. Iriafen is great offensively and rebounding but did take a lot of shots and was only ok defensively and not known for passing. I do think getting a strong shooting guard who can pass would protect against any delayed or slow recovery for Azzi or Caroline but not critical the way a solid front court player is needed given Cheli and Ziebell coming in.

But like I said, I am curious if we will about interest during the process. As Dorka and Lou proved, finding the right transfer greatly helps the team and I do think the staff are learning how to best acclimate 1st year players more effectively.

Reaction Score
I like Geno’s question to any player looking to transfer. “What’s wrong with you?” :)

I agree with him. Close to 99% of the players in the portal have zero chance of playing at the next level even if they somehow manage to get a little more playing time (if that's the main reason they are in the portal).

Reaction Score
My question is similar to the HS recruits of interest, will we hear if UConn has contacted any?

As a subtle (or NOT so subtle reminder to my peers) we have Paige for 1 more year. Bringing in more Freshmen is not logical with an eye for a 12th championship. We need experienced players against top level schools. Lucy Olsen and Kaitlyn Chen are nice players, I wish them well, but in my estimation they do not help us in areas where we are deficient or have injury recovery concerns. Same for Kelly, Hailey Van Lith and Scherr, none is an efficient shooter nor elite defender. So far in the portal, I would say Timea Gardiner adds size, defends the front court/posts and is a strong 3 point shooter at 39.5% and fits the UConn high post offense. Beers, if she enters the portal has 2 years left and is a good passer as well as a true post to work with Jana. Iriafen is great offensively and rebounding but did take a lot of shots and was only ok defensively and not known for passing. I do think getting a strong shooting guard who can pass would protect against any delayed or slow recovery for Azzi or Caroline but not critical the way a solid front court player is needed given Cheli and Ziebell coming in.

But like I said, I am curious if we will about interest during the process. As Dorka and Lou proved, finding the right transfer greatly helps the team and I do think the staff are learning how to best acclimate 1st year players more effectively.
I'm trying to remember how they handled Dorka and Lou.........I suppose we might hear about a sighting on campus of a visiting portal recruit but you know we won't hear a thing from the UConn staff until the deal is done...

Reaction Score
If we sign a player from the portal, it is going to be interesting to see/hear which coach had the task of being the point of contact. I am thinking Morgan has that task but you never know.

Reaction Score
Plus 2024, Paopao.
The Portal is a source for gets and if they complete the UCONN pieces, why not??? Without Spencer, UCONN most likely don’t win the Chip! Without Lou, we would not have been as successful. It’s a tool and I imagine Geno is aware of potential players and will exercise his right to acquire players that may fit in and we could use another 4-5 to allow Strong/Brady to play the three!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The Portal is a source for gets and if they complete the UCONN pieces, why not??? Without Spencer, UCONN most likely don’t win the Chip! Without Lou, we would not have been as successful. It’s a tool and I imagine Geno is aware of potential players and will exercise his right to acquire players that may fit in and we could use another 4-5 to allow Strong/Brady to play the three!
Don't really understand your post. I was noting that @MilfordHusky's list did not include Paopao at SCar.

Reaction Score
FYI: I saw that Janiah Tyir Elise Barker, out of Texas A & M, was in the portal. She is
listed as 6'4" currently. But, back in 2021 she was listed as 6'1" when she won GOLD as part of
the USA U18 WOMEN's 3X3 World's Championship. That team included: Mikalyah
Williams 6'0", now at LSU, Kiki Rice, 5'11", now at UCLA, AND UCONN's
AYANNA RENEE PATTERSON,!!!!then listed as 6'1". So.... TEAMMATES!! Any
speculation on UCONN taking from the PORTAL this past teammate of YANNA?
That was a great team! She is a very athletic young woman. Talk to GENO,
Yanna, this could be an option!
I’m guessing she ends up at either Duke, Louisville, LSU, or SC (does Dawn have any room?)

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament there is, which is what my post was about. With Aaliyah out with a broken nose we were one injury away from disqualifying.
Are you sure that limit applies to the BE tournament? I was told by someone who should know that it did not.

Reaction Score
I’m not enamored of the transfer portal but when I think about the contributions Dorka and Lou made it reminds how seasoned vets can make a unique impact - especially if they bring leadership, poise, realistic playing expectations and strong team orientation. A lot of transfers don’t possess such attributes. But when you find them, they are force multipliers. Phelia is especially intriguing.

Reaction Score
I think Geno would prefer Iriafen. I would prefer Beers because of her size. She wouldn't be easily displaced and she is far more effective in the paint. I think Beers can perfect the midrange, but you can't teach Iriafen Beers' size. Go Huskies!
I remember the GREAT game Iriafen had against in Stanford's game ( a loss ) against N.C. State in the NCAAs.
Kiki would be a wonderful addition... but... I suspect that she will stay in California . USC anyone??

Reaction Score
Can anyone recite what Cam Spencer meant ( portal Transfer ) to the men's team this year ??
Another big next year ( with the right qualifications ) is a must.
Chen with her vast experience and winning attitude would be a fine addition while KK matures at PG.
I’ll take Lucy Olsen over Chen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32