Portal Shopping List | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I am not sure if @Vowelguy or others have tracked this, but when was the last time UConn had 15 scholarship players on its roster?
Of course, given the injuries of the last few seasons, I can understand the importance to UConn of having an incredibly deep roster.

Reaction Score
Getting Lucy Olson would be like the Vikings getting Brett Favre you hated him when he was in Green Bay but when he came to the Vikings grew to love him so I guess as long as she doesn’t throw back across her body in the championship game she could be really good for the Huskies
As a Vikings fan, you are speaking for yourself, correct? :D I stopped watching Vikings game and all NFL when Favre joined the team.

Reaction Score
Lots of great thoughts here, but not one mentions Hailey Van Lith. Controversial for sure, but think of the experience and knowledge of the top competition. Love to hear comments about her vs Chen.
I would run as far and as fast as I could to steer clear of Hailey Van Lith. Has some talent, Jeff Walz would attest to that, but I think she brings with her a swagger and attitude that doesn’t fit to how Geno plays and operates his program.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if @Vowelguy or others have tracked this, but when was the last time UConn had 15 scholarship players on its roster?
Of course, given the injuries of the last few seasons, I can understand the importance to UConn of having an incredibly deep roster.
I think it never happened before during Geno's time and before that era I don't think it happened because just a few players were on scholarships.

Reaction Score
Now that we know we have at least 2 scholarships available, whom do you want?

If she enters the portal, I’d grab Reagan Beers, as an experienced center is a need.

I’m curious about the 6’6” Aussie JuCo in New Mexico. Her recent videos are much improved.

I like Emely Rodriguez out of the Dominican Republic and Miami, though she may be a S. Carolina lean.

Kaitlyn Chen would be an intriguing option, and keeping her away from Stanford and UCLA could be a huge plus.

Though she plays on a pro team, I still have not heard anything definitive that Juste Jocyte is not an unpaid amateur. She’s really, really good. Think a 6’1” lean version of Kelsey Plum.
Dorka an experienced center took one full year to learn the Geno system. How much time does your Center have? That's the critical part--time. I agree with an experienced Center an the Princeton forward. Emelie, I like again time and position. This fall Uconn will be LOADED. The question is --is Uconn loaded with the Right people in the right positions. We know of 4 current that are what we need.

Reaction Score
What about Janiah Barker?

Is she a TOUGH Forward that can fill in at PoST in dynamic situations? DeBerry is a Forward--and remained a forward--how well di that work out for both?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't hold this year against her. That Oregon team underperformed big time as a group in my opinion. Still perplexed as to what's gone wrong over there.
I think some of it was when Mark Campbell left the program. He was a huge recruiting cog for the program.

Reaction Score
All things considered, I encourage Geno to slip into the portal for some frontcourt help. My strong preference would be for a grad transfer (irrespective of the position).

I see a significant a difference between a grad transfer and the other version. I don't support the play immediately part of the undergrad transfer, but that toothpaste is out of the tube. A grad transfer rewards academic achievement: You did the work and you got your degree. And if in fact another school offers a graduate program of interest and your original school does not, and you have a year of eligibility left, then I support the transfer and the immediate opportunity to play. In sum, at least on paper, the grad transfer rewards academics. Beyond all that, a scholarship for a grad transfer does not take up a scholarship that could be used on a recruit in future years, and a recruit knows that that player will not be around when it comes her time to matriculate and lace them up.

The undergrad transfer does no such thing. It helps the rich stay rich or get richer. So I prefer UConn, with their preeminent brand, not engage in it, if possible. If Geno does go for an undergrad, he needs to walk a fine line (as others have noted) and not make a current young player feel like she's being recruited over.

I'm eager to see how it all turns out. Good luck, Geno.
We’ll stated Gustav

Reaction Score
Gardiner (Oregon State) now in the portal.
My first question for all in the portal ---Is Why are you here and not playing? Grad students are a different story--almost

Reaction Score
My first choice would be a 6"5 or more
Then a 1-2 guard

With preference for Graduated transfers

I would like to add 2 KK's (Standford - Notre Dame) to our roster.

And please don't call Hailey VL

Reaction Score
Beers... a no-brainer who should start over Jana, if one considers health and experience. No reason you can't play Beers 20-25 minutes a game, and Jana 18-20 her first season back. VanSlooten and Pania Davis also should be considered. I'd opt for Davis first.

I hate to say this, but SCARO is the post standard right now, and UCLA is about to make their mark with what they have and what's coming in. Just saying... Go Huskies!
Absolutely. It’s good to have two frontline centers. Ask Dan Hurley.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you had to choose between Beers and Iriafen which would it be? I’d opt for Iriafen just for the greater mobility and a great midrange game, and an excellent rim protector.
Not really. Only .4 blocks per game for Iriafen in her career, .6 this last season was a career high. By comparison Beers is at 1.0 for her career and 1.3 this last season. Are you thinking of Brink?

Reaction Score
Agreed
I would very surprise if UConn has any interest
In the portal
We have 10 returning plane with some point been
A starter and three very highly regarded
Freshman
People talk about the portal like this is the NBA we’re let’s go out and get some players for insurance crazy
Geno rarely makes freshman starters, and for good reason. So on a team that could challenge for the national title you think an unproven center in Jana is a sure thing. She should share the minutes with a proven center, and Ice isn't it, not does the other Freshman Strong want to be it. We have many questions up front. If the right fit exists you take them!

Reaction Score
Lots of great thoughts here, but not one mentions Hailey Van Lith. Controversial for sure, but think of the experience and knowledge of the top competition. Love to hear comments about her vs Chen.

I have a better chance of winning the powerball lottery or reaching Geno’s number of wins in the coaching game than Hailey Van Lith being on the UConn roster this coming season. If they did add her my guess is there would be one of our current roster in the portal & I would hate to see that. If there is an addition it would be at the 4 or 5 position, at least in my opinion- which is worth exactly what you’re paying to get it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom