Portal Prognostications | The Boneyard

Portal Prognostications

Reaction Score
I have been reading some wild and wacky stuff here lately. It's a shame Carnac from The Tonight Show is no longer around because he could save us lots of aggravation.

Reaction Score
how's this for a prognostication.

Mahaney is visiting this week and the deadline to enter the portal is next wednesday 5/1. Hurley will give Mahaney until then to commit. If he commits, then Diarra enters the portal. If he does not commit, then Diarra stays.

i didnt think it was an either/or with Mahaney and Diarra, but at this point what is Diarra waiting for other than to see what Mahany does?

Reaction Score
Diarra has played important minutes on both championship teams. The highest talent level you can possibly get. Dude as a 5th year senior is gonna play really good minutes this year no matter who gets brought in. He plays outstanding D and has a winners edge.

So is getting 5 more minutes a game elsewhere worth it? I highly doubt it.

Reaction Score

Mahaney is visiting this week and the deadline to enter the portal is next wednesday 5/1. Hurley will give Mahaney until then to commit. If he commits, then Diarra enters the portal. If he does not commit, then Diarra stays.

i didnt think it was an either/or with Mahaney and Diarra, but at this point what is Diarra waiting for other than to see what Mahany does?
Diarra is a senior who is graduating. He can enter the portal whenever he wants. May 1 is not his deadline to enter.

Reaction Score

I agree with the first half, but I don't think it's a case of that being for Diarra's benefit but some other guys on the roster. I have a hard time seeing Diarra transferring

I think Diarra just has a tough decision of if he wants to be in school another year. Some guys are just ready to move on, maybe he's one

Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Are we waiting for a Diarra press conference to announce his intentions?

Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Are we waiting for a Diarra press conference to announce his intentions?
Basically. He said on the Aaron Torres podcast he would make an announcement. He hasn't. We are still waiting.

Reaction Score
I think that's changed. May 1 is for everyone this year. At least that's what I read on twitter.
You are correct. Good call. I just saw the article below. Why are they changing this so late? Typical NCAA!

I was going off every transfer article on 247sports.com which includes language that graduate transfer don't have a window. I just saw one today with that language. I'll blame them for my post! Lol

New transfer legislation passed last week by the NCAA has added a sense of urgency to the looming close of the men's and women's transfer windows, as all transfers -- even graduate transfers -- now need to be in the portal by the close of their sports' windows.

Previously, graduate transfers didn't need to adhere to transfer window dates and could enter the portal at any time. For example, Cam Spencer left Rutgers in June and committed to UConn, ultimately helping lead the Huskies to their second straight national championship.

Last week's transfer legislation, however, included the elimination of the graduate transfer exception. and that has caught players and coaches by surprise.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Unless something happens in the next few days, the following players are confirmed for next year:

Reed Jr.
Nowell
Abraham
Johnson
Stewart
Ball
Ross
Singare

If we can get Karaban and Diarra to come back and McNeeley and Mahaney, we may have a fantastic year.

Reaction Score
Unless something happens in the next few days, the following players are confirmed for next year:

Reed Jr.
Nowell
Abraham
Johnson
Stewart
Ball
Ross
Singare

If we can get Karaban and Diarra to come back and McNeeley and Mahaney, we may have a fantastic year.
Why are they all confirmed for next year and Diarra isn't?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why are they all confirmed for next year and Diarra isn't?
Diarra may not use his last year of eligibility. He could go to Europe. I expect him to come back but he would be a fifth-year player.

Reaction Score
Diarra may not use his last year of eligibility. He could go to Europe. I expect him to come back but he would be a fifth-year player.
Maybe you're right. We have clips of him working out and he hasn't made visits. We need him and his experience.

Reaction Score
if we lose AK and Hass how does this depth chart strike people? adding 3 freshmen and 4 transfers is a nice balance at least.

Mahaney 25 / Nowell 15
Ball 25 / Brea 15
McNeeley 20 / Brea 10 / Ross 10
Stewart 25 / Abraham 10 / McNeeley 5
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Bench: Transfer / Singare

25: Mahaney / Ball / Brea / McNeeley / Stewart
20: Reed / Samson
15: Nowell
10: Ross / Abraham

sweet 16 ceiling?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Clearly a lot is riding on AK coming back or not. Since they changed the rule for grad transfers, I imagine there won’t be a Spencer out there who has not been taken. He had to go into the portal after May 1 last year. Maybe not but it seems that way to me.

Point being is it would seem knowing what Diarra is going to do would be better sooner than later. My guess is the staff probably knows. But with Karaban all they can tell a potential recruit is we have to wait and see what feedback he gets before we will know whether he is coming back.

I assume most recruits are thinking he will be back. For a top tier recruit no matter how good they are, they know they won’t be getting their minutes because AK is on the bench. This has to be an incredibly difficult time for the staff.

Reaction Score
To dismiss Diarra’s silence is foolish. Clearly he is waiting to see how things play out over the next 5 days.

Reaction Score

You’re kidding right? You think Hurley values Mahaney over Diarra? As others have said I think Hass is debating the extra year. I hope he comes back. We could use his leadership. I don’t think there’s any way Danny would take Aidan at Diarra‘s expense. Both would have big roles on next year‘s team.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding right? You think Hurley values Mahaney over Diarra?
Not sure what you mean. I didn’t say Hurley wants Hass to leave/transfer and he would never force him to. The question is will Hass choose to leave/transfer if Mahaney commits. Of course we all want both.

Reaction Score
It was reported Hass told the staff he returning.

What’s the confusion here?

Reaction Score

That there has been zero public confirmation by a single coach, player, beat reporter, or national reporter. Even if we want to go by the post on SC it said he was making the announcement on a podcast that night and then the only quotes since then from him were saying he's still undecided

Reaction Score

Where was this reported? Diarra's own interview statements last thursday said he hadn't decided but expected to by the end of the week. To my knowledge that time has come and gone without a public statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom