Portal hits | The Boneyard

Portal hits

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's the best at it, and I can't imagine 2024 transfer targets haven't noticed

Like Dook, UNC, KU & UK land all the best one and done players, we should be landing the best portal options

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Like Dook, UNC, KU & UK land all the best one and done players, we should be landing the best portal options
We are going to have to for next tear if all the underclassmen people are predicting go pro

Reaction Score

….. which are inherently better one and done college players.

Our all transfer team
Tristen
Cam
Shawn miller
Gibbs
Ed Nelson(?)

Who’s our most impactful big transfer. Was okwandu ?

Reaction Score
Is Hurley that much better at finding the right guys or he is just better at coaching the guys he finds?
I think he finds a player who fits mentally and has some transferable skills he can make them reach greatness. Quite easy to prove as Diarra, Joey, Cam, Newt weren't half the players they were before they came.
Some have argued that Newt was this good the second he stepped on campus. That's a tough pill to swallow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s finding guys who fit our system and who can handle and thrive in our environment. I’m not sure it’s talent as much as fit and mental toughness. Not everyone can play here. A lot of more selfish star players wouldn’t be a fit. In the case of Diarra, he’s the brother of a coach and former player, so I think we knew more about him.

Reaction Score
Is Hurley that much better at finding the right guys or he is just better at coaching the guys he finds?

Well let’s be honest on this one, he and we got lucky with Spencer and not Timberlake. We can thank Self and The Hemi for that lol.

But the pieces he’s brought in have been almost perfect no matter how. He and the staff will need to hit a couple HRs again coming up next year.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole - all BE 1st team
Tyrese Martin - NBA draft pick
Alleyne & Joey C - key rotation players in a dominant March run
Diarra - vocal leader on that same title team who is now one of the best 6th men in the country
Newton - starting PG of that championship team who is on NPOY watchlists
Cam Spencer - leading scorer of the #1 team in the country and one of the most efficient scorers in America

While sending 4 of his own HS recruits to the NBA, and he has 2-3 more who are projected to get there. None of this includes the four 4 star freshmen on his bench, and I think 2 of them have real NBA talent within 2 more years

Master recruiter.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thanks for the responses. A combination of both finding and coaching I guess but I like to think Timberlake would be better at UConn and Spencer would not be as good anywhere else. Not really knowable, I admit, but it's what I think. It's amazing to think about rummaging through a box of discarded puzzle pieces to find the one that fits your puzzle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well let’s be honest on this one, he and we got lucky with Spencer and not Timberlake. We can thank Self and The Hemi for that lol.

But the pieces he’s brought in have been almost perfect no matter how. He and the staff will need to hit a couple HRs again coming up next year.
Timberlake is finally playing better. But he’s no Cam Spencer and wouldn’t be if he came here. Definitely lucked out. Something about the crowd and intensity just makes Cam go to another level. He thrives on it.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Listening to Cam's post game. Why do I keep thinking of Conan O'Brien...?

Reaction Score
It's a combination of preparation and execution.

Similar to our HS recruiting strategy, UConn targets a select group of guys rather than the Arkansas or Alabama approach of "offering" dozens and dozens of transfers. That's the preparation. "Sniping" as Hurley says.

Then, the execution is how the players fit the system. Personally, the biggest difference we've seen in players who have transferred to UConn is working towards what Hurley wants on defense but then Hurley and his staff do an excellent work creating offensive sets and strategies that best fit each player offensively.

For example, last year Spencer's steal rate was much higher (3.9%, 2.6 steals per 40), but, according to EvanMiya, had the lowest defensive metrics on Rutgers). This year, his steal rate is lower (2.6%, 1.7 steals per 40), but EvanMiya rates him in the middle of the back defensively amongst UConn's roster).

Spencer is one example of my theory: Spencer is still Spencer offensively, but his defensive is "better" even though he's generating less turnovers. I didn't watch Spencer much before UConn, but my guess is he's playing smarter, on-ball defense and taking less high-risk, high-reward chances.

Also, side note, just dreaming about the possibility of Spencer returning for an extra year of eligibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he finds a player who fits mentally and has some transferable skills he can make them reach greatness. Quite easy to prove as Diarra, Joey, Cam, Newt weren't half the players they were before they came.
Some have argued that Newt was this good the second he stepped on campus. That's a tough pill to swallow.
There's a lot that goes into that. Certainly finding the right guy is a big part of it as is coaching him once he gets here. But there's also being able to build cohesiveness among the existing team and the new additions. I don't think people pay enough attention to that or understand how difficult it is. So far, at least, Hurley and the staff appear to be superb at it.

The last piece is something that George Blaney called Jim Calhoun's best skill set. Namely, the ability to put your players in a position to succeed. Calhoun was amazing at putting the pieces together in a way that exploited their strengths and hid their weaknesses. I think that may be the secret sauce to Hurley's success.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I think the UConn staff does a great job of identifying players that fit their overall roster construction, whether it be portal or high school. Identifying talent is obviously a huge key, but I think the combination of overall talent and roster chemistry is what really sets Hurley and staff apart from others.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I understand and agree with the love for Danny as a recruiter and a coach but he also has talented assistant coaches who are also good at both. They hardly get a mention in these threads though
Nature of the business, but yes.

Reaction Score
I understand and agree with the love for Danny as a recruiter and a coach but he also has talented assistant coaches who are also good at both. They hardly get a mention in these threads though
I think Kimani and Luke get a lot of praise around here. It never goes unnoticed when Hurley calls everyone one out for not hiring these guys as their head coach. We’ve discussed how lucky we are with these guys. Part of Hurley’s skill set is his ability to surround himself and attract top coaching talent as well. He’s not afraid of staff turnover either. I was upset when Kenya Hunter left, but man…Luke has definitely been instrumental in the upward trajectory of the program if not a an upgrade from Hunter.

Reaction Score
Wow did he redshirt as a sophomore?? If so yeah he does have a sixth year of eligibility. Getting him and Karaban back would be epic.
Don't do that to my heart. I have a family to support

Reaction Score
Wow did he redshirt as a sophomore?? If so yeah he does have a sixth year of eligibility. Getting him and Karaban back would be epic.
his soph year he met the % of season metric playing only 5 games. Unfortunately they were the last 5 games. In the past playing past the 40% point of the season triggered a season of eligibility, not sure if that is still the case. In FB you get 4 games any part of the season so……..MAYBE!!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
….. which are inherently better one and done college players.

Our all transfer team
Tristen
Cam
Shawn miller
Gibbs
Ed Nelson(?)

Who’s our most impactful big transfer. Was okwandu ?

Diarra belongs on that list

Joey C Honorable Mention

I like them all

Reaction Score
Hurley and this staff has cracked the code and figured out exactly what it takes to dominate college basketball. I felt that last years team was the perfectly constructed collge roster. The only roster that comes close is this years.

Reaction Score
his soph year he met the % of season metric playing only 5 games. Unfortunately they were the last 5 games. In the past playing past the 40% point of the season triggered a season of eligibility, not sure if that is still the case. In FB you get 4 games any part of the season so……..MAYBE!!
Yeah I’m reading the rules and I don’t think he qualifies. The year in debate is 2020-21 and As of 2018:
  1. The athlete’s injury had to happen within the first half of the season, and they couldn’t have participated in more than 30% of the games.
  2. The injury must be verified with documentation and must be deemed “season-ending.”
His injury was first half of the season and 5 games is 29% of the 17 games Loyola played that year (covid year) but since he played in the last 5 games it can’t be deemed season ending. So close . If the rules changed again and apply retroactively someone please correct me.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I guess it's that DH has been picking well and is fortunate.
Could be a great niche.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom