Poor Poor Poor Roy | The Boneyard

Poor Poor Poor Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recent article notes that Roy hasn't been able to get top 10 players like Duke, Kansas and Kentucky so he's been at a real disadvantage. No one fears him anymore on the recruiting trail. Says some kind of miracle that he has been able to accomplish what he has because of this problem that he has. Wonder what the ranking of the players on his team is now because most of these guys don't look like top 50-100 recruits. Oh by the way, he didn't know anything about courses where there was 1 paper required and it wasn't even written by the students.

Reaction Score
I used to kind of like Roy Williams before all this BS. But now that he keeps playing the "woe is me" card I can't stand him.

Take responsibility for what your program did. Stop crying about it. Realize how lucky you are that you coach at a school that's college royalty and has been / will continue to be shielded by the very organization that's responsible for handing out your punishment.

If UNC wins tonight, Roy and UNC are not vindicated. But they sure will act like they are.

Reaction Score
Does Roy really think they won't get hit with any sanctions? They cheated for 18 YEARS. If they don't get punished for that, the NCAA will lose all credibility and respect. At the least they should get a postseason ban. But really they should get a postseason ban (at least 1 year, maybe 2) AND loss of scholarships.

Reaction Score
Does Roy really think they won't get hit with any sanctions? They cheated for 18 YEARS. If they don't get punished for that, the NCAA will lose all credibility and respect. At the least they should get a postseason ban. But really they should get a postseason ban (at least 1 year, maybe 2) AND loss of scholarships.
In reality, it should be even much more severe than that! If they win tonight, that will be 4 championships they shouldn't be entitled to! You're hoping for the same sort of punishment we got for doing far less. Systemic cheating for 18 years should result in a 5 year ban and 2 scholarships lost each year for that 5 year period. Unfortunately, I think they'll get more like you propose, a one year ban, Roy will miss some games, and they'll lose scholarships for two years. What a complete sham!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's doing this because he's getting beat up on the recruitment trail. Over the weekend, some recruiting guru on Sirius XM was saying how he has heard that Duke, Fla State, UCLA, Kansas and Arizona were talking to recruits about how they know that UNC will be on some penalty for at least 2 years and that due to his knee/some health issues that Roy will be walking away. It seems that UNC and these teams have been vying for the same kids and some of the kids and parent(s) really like Roy BUT these other recruiters are scaring them.
Now I don't feel sorry at all for UNC because they deserve the punishment AND as a UConn fan I know that was used against the Huskies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I used to kind of like Roy Williams before all this BS. But now that he keeps playing the "woe is me" card I can't stand him.

Take responsibility for what your program did. Stop crying about it. Realize how lucky you are that you coach at a school that's college royalty and has been / will continue to be shielded by the very organization that's responsible for handing out your punishment.

If UNC wins tonight, Roy and UNC are not vindicated. But they sure will act like they are.

Roy is a dirty dirty cheater and has been for 30 years. It infuriates me that he gets to be talked about ahead of Calhoun when he is a dirty POS. Screw him. Hope they lose by 40 as well.

Reaction Score
It is amazing to me that he still maintains men's basketball wasn't involved when the University's own report shows that 167 players took those courses under Roy Williams alone and that 10 of the players on the 2005 championship team actually majored in the AFAM studies which is crazy in and of itself.

Reaction Score
Look, there's nothing to see here. We only made sure our athletes had all the advantages of a great UNC education!

Reaction Score
It is amazing to me that he still maintains men's basketball wasn't involved when the University's own report shows that 167 players took those courses under Roy Williams alone and that 10 of the players on the 2005 championship team actually majored in the AFAM studies which is crazy in and of itself.

Hey, if Coach 'Control-Freak' Pinto can miss that university funds were being used by a university employee to procure prostitutes for their basketball team's recruits in the university run, basketball only dorm named after the coach's late brother-in-law that security guards and security cameras all over the place, I am sure someone like Coach Williams can miss the fact that most of his team never attended class.

Reaction Score
If these stats are true then why haven't we heard it on ESPN, EVER? I don't expect it tonight but you would think that some basketball journalist would bring it up rather than what they do talk about which is "Roy Williams seems to be in the clear".

Reaction Score
Roy has an advantage in that his players don't attend class, they are just get given grades without attending, not that they could attend because the classes are non-existen, so they have more time to focus on basketball.

Reaction Score
@jibsey I'm not sure why I haven't actually seen in any of the articles anywhere some of these actual excerpts for the Wainstein report but here is a little taste:
Chapel Hill had four different head men’s basketball coaches during the period in which the AFAM paper courses were offered. During the Dean Smith era (1961-1997), there were 54 basketball player enrollments in AFAM independent studies. In the three years of Coach Bill Guthridge’s tenure (1997-2000), there were 17 basketball enrollments in paper classes. There were 42 enrollments in paper classes under Coach Matt Doherty (2000-2003) and 167 under Coach Roy Williams (2003-present).
How can he go on TV with a straight face and say aw shucks, basketball wasn't involved so I'm not worried about it? Or here is another tidbit:
As Williams, Holladay and Walden told us in their interviews, a large number of the team that they inherited were majoring in AFAM. Five of the 15 members of the 2003–2004 team were AFAM majors, and 10 of the 15 players on the 2005 team were AFAM majors. The three men were uneasy about this situation. Coach Williams was uncomfortable with that clustering in AFAM because it looked like the players were being steered into that major, and after a year or two on the job he asked Holladay to make sure that basketball and ASPSA personnel were not steering players to the AFAM Department. Walden acknowledged knowing about irregular aspects of the paper classes, including that Crowder was doing at least some of the paper grading. When asked whether he shared this information with Coaches Holladay or Williams, he could not recall doing so. Both of the coaches claim that they never learned from Walden or anyone else that there was a question about faculty involvement in the classes or that Debby Crowder was doing the grading.

It all sounds kosher to me!

Reaction Score
@jibsey I'm not sure why I haven't actually seen in any of the articles anywhere some of these actual excerpts for the Wainstein report but here is a little taste:
Chapel Hill had four different head men’s basketball coaches during the period in which the AFAM paper courses were offered. During the Dean Smith era (1961-1997), there were 54 basketball player enrollments in AFAM independent studies. In the three years of Coach Bill Guthridge’s tenure (1997-2000), there were 17 basketball enrollments in paper classes. There were 42 enrollments in paper classes under Coach Matt Doherty (2000-2003) and 167 under Coach Roy Williams (2003-present).
How can he go on TV with a straight face and say aw shucks, basketball wasn't involved so I'm not worried about it? Or here is another tidbit:
As Williams, Holladay and Walden told us in their interviews, a large number of the team that they inherited were majoring in AFAM. Five of the 15 members of the 2003–2004 team were AFAM majors, and 10 of the 15 players on the 2005 team were AFAM majors. The three men were uneasy about this situation. Coach Williams was uncomfortable with that clustering in AFAM because it looked like the players were being steered into that major, and after a year or two on the job he asked Holladay to make sure that basketball and ASPSA personnel were not steering players to the AFAM Department. Walden acknowledged knowing about irregular aspects of the paper classes, including that Crowder was doing at least some of the paper grading. When asked whether he shared this information with Coaches Holladay or Williams, he could not recall doing so. Both of the coaches claim that they never learned from Walden or anyone else that there was a question about faculty involvement in the classes or that Debby Crowder was doing the grading.

It all sounds kosher to me!
c595586b491836bb2135fb603c2f4e5997ce0e2f8e41c30a81af650f568eaff8.jpg

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Well, now Roy and UNC will have time to think about how gaming the system didn't get them the title. Schadenfreude is so delicious.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
golly gee, that's just wrong, poor boy roy

only an idiot reporter could write about (read fabricate) such nonsense

just as dumb as they come, a pox on society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors