Poll - Will Amari start for any tip offs this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll - Will Amari start for any tip offs this year?

Will Amari start any games to tip off this year?

• Yes

Votes: 19 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 88 82.2%

• Total voters

sun

Reaction Score
I happen to think that 2 bigs at 6'3" aren't enough to get UConn through the entire season.
The height of the new surgically improved Amari will be needed without a doubt.
If she's not properly utilized then UConn will be at a height disadvantage when playing some top teams.

Nika has started many games & was pulled out after only 5 or several minutes of play,
When Nika first started playng NCAA BB she didn't even know what a foul was yet the coaches didn't give up on her for being uncoachable.
Many of us are still waiting for Nika to make some mid-range shots after 3 years as a starter.
I find many comments are disparaging towards Amari & even how the poll question was worded.
It will be really funny if Amari ever does start & tip off since she very well may become an important core player.
Some people can see the need for it but others can't see the forest because of all the trees.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I happen to think that 2 bigs at 6'3" aren't enough to get UConn through the entire season.
If she's not properly utilized then UConn will be at a height disadvantage when playing some top teams.

Nika has started many games & was pulled out after only 5 or several minutes of play,
When Nika first started playng NCAA BB she didn't even know what a foul was yet the coaches didn't give up on her for being uncoachable.
Many of us are still waiting for Nika to make some mid-range shots after 3 years as a starter.
I find many comments are disparaging towards Amari & even how the poll question was worded.
It will be really funny if Amari ever does start & tip off since she very well may become an important core player.
Some people can see the need for it but others can't see the forest because of all the trees.
I understand being a DeBerry fan. And hoping she comes good and gets some playing time. Just not sure what your fascination is with the Tip-off????

Reaction Score
IMO the OP continues to throw darts because he wants to see a deep bench at any cost and he refuses to accept the importance of 3 point shooting. This is why he highlights Nika's mid range game and completey ignores her 3 point shooting. Anyone suggesting that Nika "needs" a mid-range game is making things up. (getting off topic with Nika and the opening tip but okay. Just adding my opinion.). :)

And what we have to understand about Amari is that she can't hold position on offense or defense yet,. Hopefully if her back heals this could all change. The OP imo is exageerrating any negative coments on Amari beucase he wants this deeper bench and wants size so he'll continue to put out claims imo highly flawed along with highly exaggerations.

And what we have to realize -- this is a game of "basketball." The OP and others try to turn the game into soemthing it isn't. You need Balance. And let's face it, if a player that is 6'5 and can't hold postion, the shots will be tougher to make. And the good defense will be harder to maintain. Anyhow the Amari discussion belongs in the thread called "Frontcourt."

And the issue about tipoffs on this thread - just doesn't belong anywhere as a viable discussion imo (I'm putting this nicely..).

Reaction Score
IMO the OP continues to throw darts because he wants to see a deep bench at any cost and he refuses to accept the importance of 3 point shooting. This is why he highlights Nika's mid range game and completey ignores her 3 point shooting. Anyone suggesting that Nika "needs" a mid-range game is making things up. (getting off topic with Nika and the opening tip but okay. Just adding my opinion.). :)

And what we have to understand about Amari is that she can't hold position on offense or defense yet,. Hopefully if her back heals this could all change. The OP imo is exageerrating any negative coments on Amari beucase he wants this deeper bench and wants size so he'll continue to put out claims imo highly flawed along with highly exaggerations.

And what we have to realize -- this is a game of "basketball." The OP and others try to turn the game into soemthing it isn't. You need Balance. And let's face it, if a player that is 6'5 and can't hold postion, the shots will be tougher to make. And the good defense will be harder to maintain. Anyhow the Amari discussion belongs in the thread called "Frontcourt."

And the issue about tipoffs on this thread - just doesn't belong anywhere as a viable discussion imo (I'm putting this nicely..).
Agree. I think it is clear that many posters simply are negating the OP’s assumed value of getting the opening tip

Reaction Score
An excellent example of how difficult evaluating and recruiting 16 year old kids is. Sometimes they are just much taller than everyone they play against.
I feel she needs to lay up the long balls and work in the post. The thing with uconn bigs lately is the want to be shooters. Even tho she can hit them she's 6'5 who as post body where she can be a banger. Mainly I think it's her confidence. She plays hard every time I see her in the game she just have to start contributing to make the defense react to her than our 3 point shooters will be wide open. I'm rooting for her as ism the whole team.

Reaction Score
There's an article below with a section titled: Why Do Teams Want To Win The Tip-Off?
It provides 3 reasons.

1. Because winning the tip-off gives the team an offensive possession needed to score points.

2. Data shows that teams that win the tip-off end up winning the game 52.5% of the time.

3. Time of possession is a crucial stat used by coaches to determine how well the team is doing with ball control. Advanced statistical analysis shows that having the ball more often provides more scoring opportunities & a better chance to win.
It then provides a link to an article that describes the advanced statistical theory.

How many times did UConn not win the tip-off last season?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

:):rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I can't believe this question has 60 (now 61) posts. I have to imagine that 16 of the 17 yes votes were answering the question, "Will Amari start any games this year?"

sun

Reaction Score
Generally those types of polls are started by people who don't truly understand the game.
I dioubt that you know anything about the people who start polls or how much that they understand the game.
This poll is for fun & entertainment & intended to be enjoyed by UConn WBB fans on the BY.
II find it interesting how many fans think that Amari will get to tip off this year,
They must have some good reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny that a poll is started then if they disagree Sun tries to argue to convince people to go with his theory
Well most of the debate has taken place, the poll is up, and the results are in. If this was a political race it would have been called a long time ago.

sun

Reaction Score
Well most of the debate has taken place, the poll is up, and the results are in. If this was a political race it would have been called a long time ago.
The poll results are in but the accuracy of the predictions won't be known until the end of the season.
We won't know for sure whether Amari will get to do any tip-offs until then.
That's how predictions work, it ain't over until it's over.
The fat lady still needs to sing to earn her living.

Reaction Score
We won't know for sure whether Amari will get to do any tip-offs until then.

The fat lady still needs to sing to earn her living.
Yes -- we do know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom