POLL: Pick one player (not EDD) you wish Geno had at UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

POLL: Pick one player (not EDD) you wish Geno had at UConn

Pick one player (not EDD) who you most wish played for Geno

• Bridgette Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheryl Swoopes

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Chamique Holdsclaw

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Candace Parker

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • Skylar Diggins

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Brittney Griner

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Other- indicate who in the thread

Votes: 22 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im thinking back a bit. There was a deal in the workings where Kia Vaughn Tina Charles and Jane Appel would all come to UConn. That wouldve been something. How bout the class that got away and went to MD when MD was nothing. Tollier, that post player I forgot her name and Duran. If memory serves me right Langhorne was in that class too but it was felt she wasnt coming to UConn. That still makes me wonder how that happened.

Reaction Score
Lindsay Whalen to succeed Sue Bird. When Minnesota challenged UConn in 2004 semifinal (67-58), Geno said how much he admired her drive, leadership, and play, wishing he had her. No arguments however with Catchings or Swopes. Agree with Boo on Griner: great player with huge potential at the time, but also with anger/ego issues that wouldn't fit then, and surfaced a few times recently in Turkey.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Tonyc said:
Im thinking back a bit. There was a deal in the workings where Kia Vaughn Tina Charles and Jane Appel would all come to UConn. That wouldve been something. How bout the class that got away and went to MD when MD was nothing. Tollier, that post player I forgot her name and Duran. If memory serves me right Langhorne was in that class too but it was felt she wasnt coming to UConn. That still makes me wonder how that happened.

kia vaughn would definitely be on my list of wannabes. I often wondered how her career - her college career would have turned out had she going to UConn

Reaction Score
Catch is a natural choice as she is (as mentioned before) all what UConn basketball is preaching. I would however choose K. Langhorn. I believe that if she would have come to UConn, L. Harper would have followed and the "Dark Ages" (2005-2007) would have not happen and actually UConn would have 1 or 2 championships in that time frame (instead of MD and TN).

Reaction Score
It would have been interesting to see how Geno and Chris would have developed Griner in four years.
She has always had a great relationship with Geno. On an overseas tour ( I can't remember which one), he took Brittany to visit his family home in Italy.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It would have been interesting to see how Geno and Chris would have developed Griner in four years.
She has always had a great relationship with Geno. On an overseas tour ( I can't remember which one), he took Brittany to visit his family home in Italy.

We would have seen the current version of BG by her junior year in college. BG has always had a very nice shooting touch and Geno would have given her the freedom to step away from the basket and have a well-rounded game.

Reaction Score
In the spirit of players you love(d) to watch, Sheryl Swoopes was a joy at Houston and I love watching Tamika Catchings and Lindsay Whalen now...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
For impact in a (relatively) fallow time, I can't think of anyone who'd have made a greater one than Brittany Hunter, if we'd had her from her freshman year.

For fun to watch, Jackie Stiles. Maybe she wouldn't have broken down if she didn't have to score 30+ points a game. And we would probably have had another All-American to cover for the 2 who got injured.

Last edited:

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
For impact in a (relatively) fallow time, I can't think of anyone who'd have made a greater one than Brittany Hunter, if we'd had her from her freshman year.

For fun to watch, Jackie Stiles. Maybe she wouldn't have broken down if she didn't have to score 30+ points a game. And we would probably have had another All-American to cover for the 2 who got injured.
I would have loved to watch BH play for us beginning in her freshman year. Heck, I even loved to watch her play against us( at least a little bit)...

Her play reminded me of a friend of mine from my old high school days... I've lost track of him but his name was Marv S. and he, Calvin Murphy and a guy over at CCHS were pure joy to watch. I played pickup games with them every so often which meant that I mostly stood still and watched with my mouth wide open as they blew by me. Marv was smoooooooooooth power... he was built thick and strong but moved like melted butter. BH had that same powerful grace in her. Oh, what could have been.....

Boo

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Should I be surprised that Bridgette Gordon hasn't gotten a vote? My understanding was she was who made many LV fans fans to begin with...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The 3 players who stick out to me are Griner, Holdsclaw and Parker. Griner sticks out because there is a very good possibilty UCONN literally goes 4 straight years with undefeated seasons during her time there. You'd have 2 years of Moore/Griner, and Griner as an upperclassmen with the core group of players who won the 2013 title and Tiffany Hayes makes them the obvious title threat in 2012 and 2013.

With Holdsclaw and Parker, UCONN didn't win a title while either of those players were at UT. If Parker is on UCONN in 2006 they probably don't win the title (although, it wouldn't be a big surprise if they did) and they'd be the obvious title threat in 2007 and 2008 with Candace Parker as a sophomore/junior. If Parker plays in 2005, I don't think UCONN wins a title but would be a strong Final Four threat and having the presence of a go to player like Parker might enable UCONN to find its identity and make a championship push. I'd guess UCONN wins 2-3 more titles with Parker in the lineup.

Put Holdsclaw on UCONN in 1996 and they are overwhelming title favorites, same thing again in 1997. 1998 you'd have Mique/Sales/Abrosimova, and in 1999 Ralph/Holdsclaw/Abrosimova and TASSK. Very realistic that with Holdsclaw, UCONN has 4 more championship banners hanging and Tennessee has 3 less.

As a UT fan, outside of Taurasi as being a player who I think would've enabled Tennessee to win more championships (at least 2, maybe 3), I would choose Seimone Augustus. Augustus would've given UT the offensive scoring punch needed to get over the hump in at least 3, maybe all 4 of those years in my opinion.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
No one's mentioned her yet, but if you wanted to make the sublime completely ridiculous, imagine Diana Taurasi and Alana Beard on the same team for four years.

Reaction Score
I voted Candace Parker. I would have liked to see Parker's game develop the way it would have under Geno and CD's coaching. Parker is supremely talented, but her game is a bit shooting guard-ish at times. I wish she'd score more with power moves in the paint.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Catchings - just a Uconn type player through and through. I wanted to say a healthy Hunter because she was an amazing player in the few glimpses we saw, but she played at Uconn so that isn't really fair.
Griner - would have been fun to see, but I think she was too immature to have really thrived at Uconn - she needed her college years to grow up and I think Baylor was a better fit for her. Not sure she could have survived at Uconn. Basketball-wise it would have been fun to see what Geno/CD could have done with her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Given the close score in the 2006 regional finals against UConn, I don't think Toliver at UConn would be better for Duke than she was at UMD...

Personally..... I'd rather have seen Duke lose in the Elite 8 that year, than lose in the championship game in the manner that they did. That loss will haunt me to the grave :(

Admittedly I didnt follow UCONN that season, but perhaps with Tolliver you guys wouldnt have been a #2 seed and would have been placed in a different region than Duke.

Reaction Score
Am I wrong didn't she actually play one season with Uconn --academics, and practice were her limiting factors--she moved thru about 5 colleges, me thinks!! Her potential was better than her results.

Goring actually ended up playing her last and biggest game of her college career facing off against Uconn Freshman Tina Charles. She played for North Carolina State in the 2006-2007 Sweet 16 game. Uconn winning 78-71. Her story below'

http://www.technicianonline.com/article_a639bc09-1202-5f46-8421-458733afa3c0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom