Poll: If You're the AD do you Fire this Coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: If You're the AD do you Fire this Coach?

Do You Fire this Head Coach

• Yes, To Much Upheaval in Program.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No, Has a Proven Record of Success.

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I refuse to vote! Given that no player appears to have complained about the coach makes it too hard to determine from outside what is wrong and whether he can again turn the situation around. He has achieved the best results by far of any KY women's coach in their history which is definitely a plus. The program appears to be self destructing but without some insider information I just can't say. Would I give him a contract extension, or renew his contract this year - nope. Would I fire him and pay millions remaining on his current contract without more information - nope.

If you look at some of their former players tweets you'll see comments that infer some bad feelings about the way they were treated. Next season could be pretty rough for them. Yes, he's improved the program but this will set them back pretty bad. You'd think the AD will stay away from big buyouts next time.

Reaction Score
Some think where there's smoke there is fire. I don't jump on that band wagon. While it is not truly the legal process^*--I believe in innocent until proven guilty. He may be a Jerk--but who in those positions are not? Your Jerk may be my hero.
Thank you Eric for taking the thinking role.
*If the legal system thought you innocent until proven guilty--would most be in jail waiting to go to court? You are guilty until you prove yourself innocent-that's why you have to pay thousands to unprove your guilt.
Of course, the BY cannot know the source of the smoke but it's very visible from a long way off. Only people at its source (KY folks) can determine if there's a fire, and if so, what will be required to squelch it. And, that being the case, how to repair the damage. But there's a reason we refer to them as "smoke" detectors. It appears Kentucky may not have been changing the batteries.

Reaction Score
Well, what's the reason for firing him? Are there any reports of players claiming abuse? what is the reason the assistants have left? Has his NCAA resume suddenly taken a tumble and Kentucky is out of the top 25 and missing the tourney? The answer to all those questions is no. So as much as I think there's something going on, I have no idea what it is, and you can't fire the guy just because a bunch of people quit the program...

All That silent noise being made and you can't hear it? What must they do call you on your cell phone and disclose the details?

Not only are players leaving but assistant coaches as well are departing.

"Why hell John boy even Sally mae left" ...Pretty soon there won't be a team to take the court.

Some people let there actions do the talking. And it's pretty loud at the moment. Just listen to the silent noise.

Reaction Score
Of course, the BY cannot know the source of the smoke but it's very visible from a long way off. Only people at its source (KY folks) can determine if there's a fire, and if so, what will be required to squelch it. And, that being the case, how to repair the damage. But there's a reason we refer to them as "smoke" detectors. It appears Kentucky may not have been changing the batteries.
Your posting saying only KY folks can determine or know what the real issues appear to be and thankfully I don't have to make a decision for them. In big business of Sports AD/Admins have to evaluate all possible roads to take to keep WBB running at it's level without damaging the school financially or image.

Reaction Score
If you look at some of their former players tweets you'll see comments that infer some bad feelings about the way they were treated. Next season could be pretty rough for them. Yes, he's improved the program but this will set them back pretty bad. You'd think the AD will stay away from big buyouts next time.
Inference isn't a charge or even an allegation. What did they say that a lawyer could use to extract bucks from KY? What was actually said that could result in a criminal charge (abuse, physical, verbal, sexual)? I'm sure if need be KY can find enough bodies to present a team at a higher level.

Reaction Score
No information? There is plenty of information. We don't have information about his contract and as UcM observed whether it is a for cause situation. We don't know if he has civil service status as for as personnel policies. But, common, put on your big boy pants, in coaching there is no "fair", it's what have you done for me lately. In Mitchell's case what he has done is embarrass his employer while underperforming. I don't buy "we don't have enough information." tThe biggest facor for the AD is what has the greatest potential downside for him: ask Mitchell to leave and hiring someone who can't right the ship or standing pat. This AD is standing pat and WCBB is not important enough for Pres. or Bd members to question it.

It is business--big business--money. Legal. Emotional. The Ad and KY Admin don't have the luxury to dump the coach easily. If he has a contract you can be sure he is not Civil Service. In most organizations that are about money--it is always: "what have you done for me lately".
The highlighted portion of your posting says it all. Since, from reading here, none of those departing have charged any kind of abuse, unwanted advances, etc--so what does the University have to hang it's hat on?
Just say too much talk so you are fired?? Even a first year law student would collect big bucks from the school on that--his reputation would be damaged without anything to support the firing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even a first year law student would collect big bucks from the school on that--his reputation would be damaged without anything to support the firing.

Like I said, we don't know what is in his contract. If the dummies gave a coach a for cause contract shame on them. I assume he is a state employee, just like Geno. I frankly do not know if employees can be exempted from the state employee laws and regulations. It does not matter. If they want to get rid of him it will be by a package, with releases, or they'll have him cold on "for cause" if they have the stomach for it. I doubt they see any percentages in forcing Mitchell out unless something really ugly were about to be broken in social media or the press.

Reaction Score
It is business--big business--money. Legal. Emotional. The Ad and KY Admin don't have the luxury to dump the coach easily. If he has a contract you can be sure he is not Civil Service. In most organizations that are about money--it is always: "what have you done for me lately".
The highlighted portion of your posting says it all. Since, from reading here, none of those departing have charged any kind of abuse, unwanted advances, etc--so what does the University have to hang it's hat on?
Just say too much talk so you are fired?? Even a first year law student would collect big bucks from the school on that--his reputation would be damaged without anything to support the firing.

This guy is supposed to do one thing: put a team on the court that wins basketball games. If it becomes clear that he will not be able to win games next year, and for the foreseeable future, then the AD fires him. Simple as that. The university doesn't need to prove that he violated some criminal statute. The simple fact that he can't run a basketball team (multiple player and assistant coach defections) is all the evidence Kentucky needs to pull the trigger.

Reaction Score
This guy is supposed to do one thing: put a team on the court that wins basketball games. If it becomes clear that he will not be able to win games next year, and for the foreseeable future, then the AD fires him. Simple as that. The university doesn't need to prove that he violated some criminal statute. The simple fact that he can't run a basketball team (multiple player and assistant coach defections) is all the evidence Kentucky needs to pull the trigger.
You are correct all he has to do is put a team on the floor and win a bit more than a bit. So far nothing has been stated that says he can't or won't field a decent team next year!! Other than that the school needs something to hang him on.
Until the speculation is facts or the Ad actually fires the coach---deal me out. This is a round robin conversation that end no where.

Reaction Score

I can't agree with this. Those who say we have all the information we need to make a decision are
wrong, I think, because all the information we have relates to results. We don't have any information
about causes, and this is important because we need to know if the causes are something Mitchell
himself can fix. If he can fix the problem, I think this would be preferable to expensively casting
him aside so you could hire a "better" coach - assuming one could be found on such short notice.

It's not as if Mitchell is a complete loser. The man has won a lot of games in a competitive conference,
so I'm guessing he knows something about coaching basketball. If the problems are fixable, then let
him try to fix them. It's cheaper, and probably better to do it that way, in my view.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Not a yes or no question without more info. Investigate, then if you find "cause", fire him for cause and get out of the remaining contract. If not enough "cause", then get him some psychological/self-awareness coaching and give him one more year to start getting it back on track.

He HAS shown some innovation - he has one-upped Calipari and taken "one-and-done" to the next level with one-and-done assistant coaches!
Hey, that is a cheap shot against one of the best-dressed coaches in wcbb. Matthew always looks very dignified and composed on the sidelines. He can turn the program around. Of course his team roster is down to 7 players but heck, Norman Dale only needed 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom