Poll: Hanna Hidalgo OR Juju Watkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Hanna Hidalgo OR Juju Watkins

Which Freshman Guard would you chose to be on your team?

• Hidalgo

• Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seriously, @triaddukefan? Is this a real question? It's not like I poked fun at Duke. See @bbsamjj's post directly above for the basic facts you should already have known.

I'm talking about the better team. Southern Cal has beaten 3 top 10 squads and a top 20 squad in Oregon State. ND has beaten UConn, the 9th place team in the ACC.. and Faded Glory Tennessee.. that's it. Oh yeah, they have beaten Ball State. Perhaps by the end of the regular season ND might be the better team, but they haven't shown it yet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm talking about the better team. Southern Cal has beaten 3 top 10 squads and a top 20 squad in Oregon State. ND has beaten UConn, the 9th place team in the ACC.. and Faded Glory Tennessee.. that's it. Oh yeah, they have beaten Ball State. Perhaps by the end of the regular season ND might be the better team, but they haven't shown it yet.
You're sounding a bit harsh on your fellow ACC squad, my friend :). (Have not eaten out enough recently?)

USC has played some tougher opponents up to this point, yes, but that's not all on ND. Coach Ivey scheduled both Illinois and Purdue, two teams that made post-season play last year. Is it her fault both teams regressed this year?
(Illinois has to be on a finalist list for "most disappointing" this year).

No worries. As this board knows, ND is entering into the "make or break" part of the season, which is one reason I was glad to see Hannah not back down at Storrs. Good prep for the Yum Center, FSU and, yes, Durham.

As of this moment, I'm giving Hidalgo the nod for leading the Irish is oh so many categories of play, including her wanting to play hard all the time. It inspires her teammates.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

I want to be clear, I said ND had more "balanced" scoring; not that they were the better team. The better team is ultimately based on results, and thus far, I think it's very clear USC has by far the more impressive results over ND.

But as Dillon77 noted, there are plenty of opportunities for ND to get more marquee wins in the weeks ahead.

Reaction Score
Yes, by "better" I meant something like what @bbsamjj means by balanced. But beyond just scoring, I think ND is a much better defensive team. In part, this is because of Hannah, but also the entire rotation are well-trained defenders. This is a hallmark of Niele's teams.

USC, by contrast is not well-balanced in scoring -- hence my noting that Juju carries them -- but also is not a strong defensive team. Strong defense is not a hallmark of Lindsay's teams.

Now, to be fair to Hannah, this doesn't reflect all that well on Juju, who can make a hero-play on defense as well as any of the greats, but isn't often required to play an intense switching defense. Hannah plays in a more disciplined system, though she is allowed to take chances often, and this is one of the reasons she gets so many steals.

All this is to say USC's greater success so far is more due to Juju than ND's success is to Hannah, though Hannah has had a tremendous season so far. Here's a goofy thought experiment: switch their teams. What would ND be with Juju as opposed to USC with Hannah?

The odd conclusion is that ND is the 'better' team, which tells me Juju is the player I'd choose for my team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're sounding a bit harsh on your fellow ACC squad, my friend :). (Have not eaten out enough recently?)

USC has played some tougher opponents up to this point, yes, but that's not all on ND. Coach Ivey scheduled both Illinois and Purdue, two teams that made post-season play last year. Is it her fault both teams regressed this year?
(Illinois has to be on a finalist list for "most disappointing" this year).

No worries. As this board knows, ND is entering into the "make or break" part of the season, which is one reason I was glad to see Hannah not back down at Storrs. Good prep for the Yum Center, FSU and, yes, Durham.

As of this moment, I'm giving Hidalgo the nod for leading the Irish is oh so many categories of play, including her wanting to play hard all the time. It inspires her teammates.

Didn't mean to sound harsh, and based on my Google Map summary for the month of January I have eaten out enough :oops: I'd be shocked if Hildago doesn't get at least 30pts vs F$U. She may get 30 in Louisville. I can't see her getting 30 in Durham.

As I said (inferred) in another thread, Hildago is Freshman of the Year in my book. Watkins is the player I would rather have for Duke. I'll check back in after 9pm on Feb 19th.

Yes, by "better" I meant something like what @bbsamjj means by balanced. But beyond just scoring, I think ND is a much better defensive team. In part, this is because of Hannah, but also the entire rotation are well-trained defenders. This is a hallmark of Niele's teams.

USC, by contrast is not well-balanced in scoring -- hence my noting that Juju carries them -- but also is not a strong defensive team. Strong defense is not a hallmark of Lindsay's teams.

Now, to be fair to Hannah, this doesn't reflect all that well on Juju, who can make a hero-play on defense as well as any of the greats, but isn't often required to play an intense switching defense. Hannah plays in a more disciplined system, though she is allowed to take chances often, and this is one of the reasons she gets so many steals.

All this is to say USC's greater success so far is more due to Juju than ND's success is to Hannah, though Hannah has had a tremendous season so far. Here's a goofy thought experiment: switch their teams. What would ND be with Juju as opposed to USC with Hannah?

The odd conclusion is that ND is the 'better' team, which tells me Juju is the player I'd choose for my team.

Oddly while I think USC has shown to be the better team so far... if I had to choose between the two, I would bet ND has better success in the post season.... and I definitely prefer ND's roster.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

You may be right historically, but as of today, ND and USC's defensive stats are remarkably similar.

Both give up just over 60ppg.
ND's opponents shoot 37.5%; USC's shoot 38.3%
According to Massey, USC's defense is ranked 10th. ND's is ranked 16th.

In short, they are both very good defensive teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom