OT: - Poll: Best sporting events | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Poll: Best sporting events

What is the best sporting event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think a ton depends on whether your team is in it or not.

I'm just gonna list my personal top five + one events I've watched on TV:

1. Mets v Astros, Game 6, 1986. The drama in that thing was ridiculously intense.
2. 77-74 and everything leading up to it.
3. Mets v Red Sox, Game 6, 1986.
4. Ali-Foreman, 1974. Many folks thought Ali would literally be killed.
5. USA v USSR, Lake Placid
6. The current NC run, not because it was dramatic, but because of the level of play. It was the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals every game.

As for live events, it was the 2013 WC game between the Pirates and Reds. I doubt I'll ever experience anything close to that. I'll understand that this isn't on anyone else's list, living here and watching that Pirates team bring baseball back to Pittsburgh and all that happened early on in that game - couldn't ask for a better experience.
You'll need to explain watching #'s 4 & 5 on TV (unless you already knew the outcome when you watched).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The thing is the NFL knows that football fans will watch the game no matter how many ridiculous distractions they add to it so the game is designed to keep non fans interested enough that they can charge massive amounts for commercial time and plug anything and everything the network that happens to be broadcasting the game wants to plug.

If you think things are bad now, at some point the NFL will play this game overseas and eventually it will be a pay per view event.

Thats fine with me. I already dont watch it.

Reaction Score
That’s not the only shot. I won’t bother posting others because most over here don’t care. But this year alone had a bunch of buzzer beaters and other great moments and like the men’s tournament, no #1 seeds in the championship game. There were huge upsets and Cinderellas, like the Men’s tourney.

I get that you don’t care about women’s hoops but don’t understand why you have to dismiss the entire sport.
I'll tell you why.

This is a poll about the best sporting event. I would think, correct me if I'm wrong, that of ALL the sporting events, one receives more votes right now than the Masters, the Stanley Cup and the World Series should have a more memorable moment than one nameless buzzer beater.

What is THE signature highlight or shining moment from ANY women's March Madness game? One that even the non-sports fan would know?

Reaction Score
I'll tell you why.

This is a poll about the best sporting event. I would think, correct me if I'm wrong, that of ALL the sporting events, one receives more votes right now than the Masters, the Stanley Cup and the World Series should have a more memorable moment than one nameless buzzer beater.

What is THE signature highlight or shining moment from ANY women's March Madness game? One that even the non-sports fan would know?
The post is best sporting event, not most memorable. I see what you're saying though. It's a tough call.
Im a musician and I've seen people discuss best guitarist of all time-
Most lists put Clapton, page, and Hendrix at the top of the list but I can name 10 jazz guitarists that are better than them but that nobody knows because Jazz isn't mainstream. WBB is catching up to mens sports but the media and sports center has largely ignored it until now. (I love WCBB. Personally)

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I voted March Madness.

While I LOVE the NFL, the Super Bowl is far from my favorite NFL game to watch. I much prefer the 2 weekends played prior to the Super Bowl, week 1, and Thanksgiving. SB is so commercial and Joe Public.

I also LOVE the PGA Tour, but the Masters is not my favorite, and nor is the British Open. I would rank the 3 Tour Championship events ahead, as well as the The Players, the US Open, and the PGA Championship. Heck, I'd rather watch The Travelers over the Masters, since I've actually played the course. Masters is a bit high brow and Joe Public.

Tour de France? Olympics? Shouldn't even be on the list. How did NBA Finals not make the list?

LOVE the Derby and The Belmont Stakes. I watch religiously or attend every year. I watch the Preakness as well, but it's so blah.

For baseball playoffs, I really only watch the World Series if the Red Sox, Yankees, or Mets are playing.

NHL Playoff are awesome, but as a Bruins fan, I only watch their playoff games. Last night was great til the 3rd period.

My rankings would be:
1-March Madness
2-NFL AFC/NFC Championship weekend
3-NFL Wild Card weekend
4-NFL week 1
5 and on - a toss up

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
1- March madness
2 - NHL playoffs

Whatever else is fine

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Some good feedback. Ill answer a few questions:
Why is the NBA finals missing? I completely missed it. Or as JC would say “I effed i up.” Sorry
Women’s March madness. I suspected that fans of the men’s b-ball program would also be interested in women’s basketball and/ or support UConn.
Masters- I’m not a huge fan of golf but seems like it’s the signature event and some recency bias as it was just played.
Was kinda surprised that nobody talked about college football.

Reaction Score
The post is best sporting event, not most memorable. I see what you're saying though. It's a tough call.
Im a musician and I've seen people discuss best guitarist of all time-
Most lists put Clapton, page, and Hendrix at the top of the list but I can name 10 jazz guitarists that are better than them but that nobody knows because Jazz isn't mainstream. WBB is catching up to mens sports but the media and sports center has largely ignored it until now. (I love WCBB. Personally)
Of places on the internets that the women's final four is going to get an outsized portion of votes, a UConn fan board, even men's is at or near top.
Not to mention that the sample size is less than 100 and we are actually talking about the statistical merit and implications of 4 votes. I think Jaydumo's top-10 jazzman guitarists have more of a following.

Reaction Score
Of places on the internets that the women's final four is going to get an outsized portion of votes, a UConn fan board, even men's is at or near top.
Not to mention that the sample size is less than 100 and we are actually talking about the statistical merit and implications of 4 votes. I think Jaydumo's top-10 jazzman guitarists have more of a following.
Haaaaa. Good point.
There is definitely some bias.(I voted mens march madness for record)
And one day poor Barney Kessel will be a household name, you wait.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You'll need to explain watching #'s 4 & 5 on TV (unless you already knew the outcome when you watched).
Didn't know the US-USSR outcome. It wasn't hard to avoid for the few hours necessary.

Knew the Ali outcome. Back then there were live radio updates. The tension in between each update was incredible. Then to see it, even knowing the outcome, was stunning, given how many blows Ali took to his arms/body in rounds 3-6 and yet was still able to get on his toes, dance, and snap punches in the 7th and 8th.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1. World Cup
2. March Madness
3. Summer Olympics

Reaction Score
easily ncaa bball. single elimination..can’t beat it

1682033240696.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'll go with March Madness first since I've always loved college basketball and there's something magical about the upsets.

World Cup number 2 because it's fun watching the best players in the world compete at the highest level with the highest stakes because most of the world cares so much.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Im trying to get into the Garden with my 81 year old Father for Saturdays Ranger game. Ticket prices are about 2 to 3 times the price of the equivalent seats for the Knicks game at the Garden the next day. NY loves playoff Hockey.
Should take him Monday. Rangers in 4 :broom:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Didn't know the US-USSR outcome. It wasn't hard to avoid for the few hours necessary.

Knew the Ali outcome. Back then there were live radio updates. The tension in between each update was incredible. Then to see it, even knowing the outcome, was stunning, given how many blows Ali took to his arms/body in rounds 3-6 and yet was still able to get on his toes, dance, and snap punches in the 7th and 8th.
I was night skiing that Friday thinking it would be a good way to kill a few hours, then quit a bit early and watch the tape delay of the game. As I was shedding my gear there was an announcement over the loudspeaker that the US beat the Soviets. It killed the plan but, oh well. I was a college sophomore at the time.

I was a HS freshman when Ali beat Foreman. That was basically malpractice by Foreman's manager & trainer (the trainer basically admitted as much years later) but Ali deserves a ton of credit for pulling it off. He saw a strategy that he felt would work and executed it to near perfection.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Some good feedback. Ill answer a few questions:
Why is the NBA finals missing? I completely missed it. Or as JC would say “I effed i up.” Sorry
Women’s March madness. I suspected that fans of the men’s b-ball program would also be interested in women’s basketball and/ or support UConn.
Masters- I’m not a huge fan of golf but seems like it’s the signature event and some recency bias as it was just played.
Was kinda surprised that nobody talked about college football.
No one voted college football because we are in the Northeast. If you mentioned college basketball in Oklahoma they would look at you funny. Like I said, this is not a random sample.

Reaction Score
I gotta know. Who's the noob who voted for the Tour de France?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom