OT: - Poll: Best sporting events | The Boneyard

OT: Poll: Best sporting events

What is the best sporting event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Prolly a bit quiet on the b-ball for a little bit. Don’t think I’ve seen this asked before so ignore if redundant or you simply don’t care.
It’s really a matter of determining numbers 2-5.

Reaction Score
The Event draws interest from all sorts of fans for over 3 weeks so it has to be the Madness. I also enjoy the World Cup and I really look forward to July and Le Tour. Every year I say this is the year I'm getting a new bike and getting serious about it. Maybe this is the year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Go Bolts! Stanley Cup playoffs rival the NCAA Final Four for crowd energy.

4A944C20-89AD-4A4D-BF05-981C734E5FBB.jpeg

Reaction Score
Go Bolts! Stanley Cup playoffs rival the NCAA Final Four for crowd energy.

View attachment 87637
Does FL even realize they have hockey teams yet? I kid...

Playoff hockey is pretty awesome, energy definitely goes up several notches from regular season. I managed to get tickets for 2 games last season during the Avs cup run (earlier rounds...stanley cup tickets were $$$) and they were insane

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Does FL even realize they have hockey teams yet? I kid...

Playoff hockey is pretty awesome, energy definitely goes up several notches from regular season. I managed to get tickets for 2 games last season during the Avs cup run (earlier rounds...stanley cup tickets were $$$) and they were insane

Im trying to get into the Garden with my 81 year old Father for Saturdays Ranger game. Ticket prices are about 2 to 3 times the price of the equivalent seats for the Knicks game at the Garden the next day. NY loves playoff Hockey.

Reaction Score
Im trying to get into the Garden with my 81 year old Father for Saturdays Ranger game. Ticket prices are about 2 to 3 times the price of the equivalent seats for the Knicks game at the Garden the next day. NY loves playoff Hockey.
I hope you guys have a blast...and then leave upset after getting spanked. I've been a devils fan since I was little and it's been a long hard road back since the Kovalchuk incident. Don't ruin this awesome season for me!

Reaction Score
Might be some bias in this forum - I'll try and set mine aside and rank them based on format and fan experience.

Tier 1: March Madness (Mens & Womens), Superbowl, World Cup - The best format I think is the March Madness tournament followed closely by the world cup but the superbowl pageantry gets it into Tier 1.

Tier 2: World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, Olympics, NCAAF bowl game - The other big four feel about the same to me just depends on what sports you like. Olympics have fallen off and the college football playoff needs some tweaking - too long after the season ends, too few participants..

Tier 3: Kentucky Derby, Masters, Tour de France - All non-team events, there isn't a team or country to root for it just doesn't have the same appeal.

This is from a TV viewing perspective, ranking these as an attendee would be a little different.

Reaction Score
World Cup for me. But I grew up in a soccer first family.

March Madness is definitely second overall, the upsets and the way the whole world stops is so cool.

Stanley Cup, especially when my Rangers are in it, trumps the SB for me slightly.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
World Cup for me. But I grew up in a soccer first family.

March Madness is definitely second overall, the upsets and the way the whole world stops is so cool.

Stanley Cup, especially when my Rangers are in it, trumps the SB for me slightly.

I get football fans, but I don't get the Superbowl, In my mind its easily the worst of the Big 4 sports championship events.

Reaction Score
I get football fans, but I don't get the Superbowl, In my mind its easily the worst of the Big 4 sports championship events.
I hate baseball so I have it over the World Series, but I agree.

Reaction Score
As a football fan I agree 100%. It's definitely the worst. That's why we need all that other crap surrounding it to make it interesting: office pools, 7 Layer dip, commercials, booze, parties etc.

Reaction Score
In person, sure, I guess, but as an event, no. What makes the NCAAT great is it is win or go home. The only championship of the Big 4 that has that is the SB. Also, the last 2 decades has brought incredible games, the 80s and 90s, not so much.

You want to talk Game 7 of the other 3 and the SB, ok, that's a discussion. But the NBA Finals, as event, pales in comparison to the SB.

Reaction Score
In person, sure, I guess, but as an event, no. What makes the NCAAT great is it is win or go home. The only championship of the Big 4 that has that is the SB. Also, the last 2 decades has brought incredible games, the 80s and 90s, not so much.

You want to talk Game 7 of the other 3 and the SB, ok, that's a discussion. But the NBA Finals, as event, pales in comparison to the SB.
But there have also been incredible NBA finals. Every sport has its clunkers. I'm a broncos fan but there was nothing good about the Broncos Seahawks superbowl: for anyone

Reaction Score
Might be some bias in this forum - I'll try and set mine aside and rank them based on format and fan experience.

Tier 1: March Madness (Mens & Womens), Superbowl, World Cup - The best format I think is the March Madness tournament followed closely by the world cup but the superbowl pageantry gets it into Tier 1.
So, I'll pick at this seeing as you listed it and the Women's MM has more votes than other events right now.

What are the top 3 most memorable moments in the history of Women's March Madness? What's the Laettner shot or NC State moment? I can't think of a single one.

Reaction Score
Gotta go March Madness but playoff hockey and baseball when your team is in it is fun.

NFL is overrated overall.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, I'll pick at this seeing as you listed it and the Women's MM has more votes than other events right now.

What are the top 3 most memorable moments in the history of Women's March Madness? What's the Laettner shot or NC State moment? I can't think of a single one.
But how much WBB do you watch?

The player that hit this shot hit an identical one in the last second of OT to beat UConn. Husky fans don’t care much for Ogumbuwale but she’s a gamer.

Reaction Score

I do remember that Ogunbowale shot against UConn but that's all the WBB I watch - just UConn. I couldn't name a World cup moment or stanley cup moment either - just haven't been a fan.

The fact it is the same exact format as the men it gets the same tier. Same experience for a fan.

Reaction Score
But how much WBB do you watch?

The player that hit this shot hit an identical one in the last second of OT to beat UConn. Husky fans don’t care much for Ogumbuwale but she’s a gamer.

I'll usually watch "most" of the Final Four games if UConn is in it. Nothing that UConn isn't in.

I've never heard of Ogumbuwale. So if that's the #1 moment in Women's March Madness, I think that makes my point a bit. Hard for that moment to garner a vote over 100 highlights from the Masters.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll usually watch "most" of the Final Four games if UConn is in it. Nothing that UConn isn't in.

I've never heard of Ogumbuwale. So if that's the #1 moment in Women's March Madness, I think that makes my point a bit. Hard for that moment to garner a vote over 100 highlights from the Masters.
That’s not the only shot. I won’t bother posting others because most over here don’t care. But this year alone had a bunch of buzzer beaters and other great moments and like the men’s tournament, no #1 seeds in the championship game. There were huge upsets and Cinderellas, like the Men’s tourney.

I get that you don’t care about women’s hoops but don’t understand why you have to dismiss the entire sport.

Reaction Score
Where’s Wrestlemania

On a serious note, I voted March Madness and the World Cup. Far and away the two best in my opinion. The combo of sheer size/length yet drama is unrivaled. Also threw the World Series a bone because baseball’s my number one sport.

Reaction Score

Tier 2: World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, Olympics, NCAAF bowl game - The other big four feel about the same to me just depends on what sports you like. Olympics have fallen off and the college football playoff needs some tweaking - too long after the season ends, too few participants..

Tier 3: Kentucky Derby, Masters, Tour de France - All non-team events, there isn't a team or country to root for it just doesn't have the same appeal.

This is from a TV viewing perspective, ranking these as an attendee would be a little different.
Hot take: Golf sucks to watch in person. Regardless you can only see a small fraction of the competition, good view of 1-3 holes at best if you stay put. Maybe you can follow the leaders if its contested within one playing group, but your view will get consistently worse. It takes 4 days so often it is like attending one quarter of a pro basektball or football game. Actually far worse, 3 holes is 4.2% of 72 hole tournament. It can be a fun walking tailgate, but that's highly weather dependent & you are paying for food & drink. I'm one of very few who has been to the Masters and says 'eh' - I would rather go to a regular season BE game. The Masters adjacent parties and fun outside of the golf course & event are what made the Masters worthwhile. Course is very pretty but I've seen pretty landscaping & flowers before.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think a ton depends on whether your team is in it or not.

I'm just gonna list my personal top five + one events I've watched on TV:

1. Mets v Astros, Game 6, 1986. The drama in that thing was ridiculously intense.
2. 77-74 and everything leading up to it.
3. Mets v Red Sox, Game 6, 1986.
4. Ali-Foreman, 1974. Many folks thought Ali would literally be killed.
5. USA v USSR, Lake Placid
6. The current NC run, not because it was dramatic, but because of the level of play. It was the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals every game.

As for live events, it was the 2013 WC game between the Pirates and Reds. I doubt I'll ever experience anything close to that. I'll understand that this isn't on anyone else's list, living here and watching that Pirates team bring baseball back to Pittsburgh and all that happened early on in that game - couldn't ask for a better experience.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The thing is the NFL knows that football fans will watch the game no matter how many ridiculous distractions they add to it so the game is designed to keep non fans interested enough that they can charge massive amounts for commercial time and plug anything and everything the network that happens to be broadcasting the game wants to plug.

If you think things are bad now, at some point the NFL will play this game overseas and eventually it will be a pay per view event.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom