Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno): | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno):

Who is the best Coaching coach right now (able to coach players up and game management):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't see Kim Mulkey. So I'm just moving along lol
Here's the issue with why from a "coach" perspective I chose not to put her in the top 7/8 that I listed:
With all the talent she accumulates, she has only made 1 Final Four (along with the 3 titles) despite the fact she's been a #1 seed six times plus she's been a #2 seed six times. That's 12 top 8 seeds and she's only made 4 Final Fours (33%). That's not elevating your coaching of your team.
My logic is overachieving your talent as a coach and she certainly has talent and in at least 4 years, had the success match the talent. In 8 other years, she underachieved. That said, yes she is a top coach (recruiting and coaching #3 or 4) and I really like and root for her (even despite her ignorance the Baylor football scandal). From a "coaching" only perspective, I just don't see it as top 10 per se'. Feel free to put her in as your write-in candidate. ;)

Reaction Score
Heck, I’m not sure I’d put our Gary Blair in the top 5 not Geno, but I think he is as deserving as some others being mentioned.

What about Walz? I confess to having a soft spot for coaches who contributed to early exits for Kim’s Baylor teams with Griner and Sims.

Reaction Score
OSU has 5 top 100 ranked recruits on that team.

MSU has 6 top 100 ranked recruits that year I think they both did amazing jobs and are amazing coaches. I’m saying Bruno has done more with less talent and well I just showed that. Lol.

Like I said DePaul has 1 who was I think Kelly Campbell. By the way she has the best assist to turnover ratio in the country at the moment.
DePaul has three: Kelly Campbell, Deja Church, and Dee Bekelja.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's the issue with why from a "coach" perspective I chose not to put her in the top 7/8 that I listed:
With all the talent she accumulates, she has only made 1 Final Four (along with the 3 titles) despite the fact she's been a #1 seed six times plus she's been a #2 seed six times. That's 12 top 8 seeds and she's only made 4 Final Fours (33%). That's not elevating your coaching of your team.
My logic is overachieving your talent as a coach and she certainly has talent and in at least 4 years, had the success match the talent. In 8 other years, she underachieved. That said, yes she is a top coach (recruiting and coaching #3 or 4) and I really like and root for her (even despite her ignorance the Baylor football scandal). From a "coaching" only perspective, I just don't see it as top 10 per se'. Feel free to put her in as your write-in candidate. ;)

Worth noting, Kim won a title without a single HS AA on her 2005 team. Her teams have underachieved in the tournament for much of this decade, but theyve had darn good squads that she coached extremely well even if they come up short. Gotta get some points for always putting her team in a position as a favorite rather than being an underdog.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have always been impressed with Rueck and Schaeffer, but neither have won a championship. To me if it's not Geno (who also usually had the best players), I got to give it to Muffet or Kim, who have multiple championships this century. Tara is great and can put together a great game plan, which I've seen with recent big victories over Oregon, UConn, Baylor, and ND, but she doesn't seem to be able to get that second big game needed to win the NCAA tourney. at least thi century. Since you are not letting me vote for Kim, I will give it to Muffet. I'd probably still give it to her since she has the most wins against Geno at a time when very few coaches could beat him. Also what she did in 2018 with the injuries, so few players, & no 1st team All Americans, was incredible.

If her team can win tomorrow, I'd say she should get everybody's vote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big omission: Jeff Walz of Louisville. He has dealt with difficult players before, including the one player whom Coach Geno has admitted he wished he'd been able to coach: Angel McCoughtry. He also discovered and coached effectively Shoni Schimmel, who unfortunately was not coachable in the WNBA.

I think he's the best coaching coach in women's basketball not named Geno.

Big omission.

Reaction Score
Big omission: Jeff Walz of Louisville. He has dealt with difficult players before, including the one player whom Coach Geno has admitted he wished he'd been able to coach: Angel McCoughtry. He also discovered and coached effectively Shoni Schimmel, who unfortunately was not coachable in the WNBA.

I think he's the best coaching coach in women's basketball not named Geno.

Big omission.
I agree Walz is a very good coach, but putting him on the list won't get too many votes. He recruits better high school kids better than many pf these coaches, and has put together great game plans when he has lot's of time to beat teams like Baylor (with Greiner), UConn, ND, and Oregon on the 3rd game in 3 days. Still he has yet to win it all as his "coaching up" is not at the par of Muffet, Kim, Scott, Vic, and Wes or Geno for that matter (at least in my mind). I would say as a strategist and recruiter I see him similar to Tara, but she has at least won it all (in the 90's) and has been more consistent longer. Plus if you are not a fan of his team, he is definitely not that likeable (similar to Geno and Kim). They are uber competitive, but there are coaching antics I could do without. If I have to choose a coach who asn't won a NC, I'd take Scott or Vic anyday.

BTW I was surprised the original poster added Graves late in this survey after 53 votes had been already cast. I know this as a fact since I was #53 and Graves wasn't a choice when I voted. That was a little disinegenuous. He doesn't see him as a good recruiter or maybe a recent phenomenon with little data, just one good Sabrina class so he tried to add him late here to appear "objective & fair". Those who have watched Graves over the years would definitely question his in-game coaching, though I do think he coaches his players up since he finds several diamonds when he recruits and makes them much better (like Courtney Vandersloot & Ruthie Hebard). Don't complain too much because he might add Walz late and he won't get any votes, like Kelly is now.

Reaction Score
I agree Walz is a very good coach, but putting him on the list won't get too many votes. He recruits better high school kids better than many pf these coaches, and has put together great game plans when he has lot's of time to beat teams like Baylor (with Greiner), UConn, ND, and Oregon on the 3rd game in 3 days. Still he has yet to win it all as his "coaching up" is not at the par of Muffet, Kim, Scott, Vic, and Wes or Geno for that matter (at least in my mind). I would say as a strategist and recruiter I see him similar to Tara, but she has at least won it all (in the 90's) and has been more consistent longer. Plus if you are not a fan of his team, he is definitely not that likeable (similar to Geno and Kim). They are uber competitive, but there are coaching antics I could do without. If I have to choose a coach who asn't won a NC, I'd take Scott or Vic anyday.

BTW I was surprised the original poster added Graves late in this survey after 53 votes had been already cast. I know this as a fact since I was #53 and Graves wasn't a choice when I voted. That was a little disinegenuous. He doesn't see him as a good recruiter or maybe a recent phenomenon with little data, just one good Sabrina class so he tried to add him late here to appear "objective & fair". Those who have watched Graves over the years would definitely question his in-game coaching, though I do think he coaches his players up since he finds several diamonds when he recruits and makes them much better (like Courtney Vandersloot & Ruthie Hebard). Don't complain too much because he might add Walz late and he won't get any votes, like Kelly is now.
Nothing makes you happy does it blah blah blah

Reaction Score
Good explanation. I respect it

Reaction Score

The fundamental problem with expecting coaches to win it all to make a list of best coaches not named Geno is ... Geno.

For example, Walz beat Baylor and Griner/Sims in the 2013 E8 and made it to the finals... where they got destroyed by UConn. Anyone who was the best coach not named Geno while Stewie was at UConn was not going to win a NC.

Reaction Score
The fundamental problem with expecting coaches to win it all to make a list of best coaches not named Geno is ... Geno.

For example, Walz beat Baylor and Griner/Sims in the 2013 E8 and made it to the finals... where they got destroyed by UConn. Anyone who was the best coach not named Geno while Stewie was at UConn was not going to win a NC.
So then maybe the fundamental problem with expecting coaches to win it all to make a list of best coaches not named Geno was ... Stewie ??

Reaction Score
As the coach of the only team to beat Breanna Stewart in her Sophomore, Junior, and Senior campaigns, Tara VanDerveer certainly deserves all of the accolades off of winning that game with an unheralded lineup led by the feisty Lilli Thompson and Amber Orrange. Imagine if Stanford hadn’t won that game, UConn would’ve gone on to win 140 or so games in a row.

Reaction Score

That's why I believe it has to be Muffet or Kim, because they are the only coaches alive (R.I.P. Pat) who have won 2 championships since Geno won his first (1995). Pat won 5, Kim now 3, and Muffet 2. The only others who won just 1 and still coaching WBB are Staley (who I give as much to Aja Wilson, just like you give those 4 UConn ones to Stewie), Gary Blair (which I give as much to Vic Schaefer, his top assistant). and Brenda Frese (which I give as much to Jeff Walz, her top assistant). If any of those coaches can win their second (including the 2 assitants I mention) or Tara who last won her 2 before Geno ever won, win a NC, I see them inthe class of Kim and Muffet.

As I lamented before the original poster who set up this vote still doesn't have Kim on the list (and I believe she is far more deserving to Kelly Graves, a late add after 53 votes, although he gave his reasons that she has "underachieved") so I voted for Muffet. Both Muffet and Kim are the only coaches to beat Geno with 2 different set of teams and assistant coaches. Still your comment about Stewie makes me realize how Muffet is even more deserving, because th eonly coahc who ever truly tested UConn when they had Stewie was Muffet who beat her the 1st 2 times they played. I always felt she became the most important player on her first NC team in the Big East championship game which ND won in a very close classic game. I knew ND would be in trouble if they met again in the finals for the 4th time, and Stewie played like the MVP she truly is. She tortured ND the next 7 times they played. So in some ways I give both Geno and Muffet credit to help make Stewie (along with her parents) become, the most accomplished WBB player ever.

Hope my "blah blah blah" logic for my vote is useful for some of you, but again I appreciate my chance to have my say and your comment helped solidify it for me.

Reaction Score
As the coach of the only team to beat Breanna Stewart in her Sophomore, Junior, and Senior campaigns, Tara VanDerveer certainly deserves all of the accolades off of winning that game with an unheralded lineup led by the feisty Lilli Thompson and Amber Orrange. Imagine if Stanford hadn’t won that game, UConn would’ve gone on to win 140 or so games in a row.
Agree...she just needed to beat him in the NCAA tourney and win it all. I hope she can do that this year or the next few and then I'd vote for her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
That game was probably one of Tara's all-time masterpieces. We had no business winning that game, even playing at home. UConn's lineup had 6 future WNBA players to Stanford's 1(ish - Erica McCall, who played all of 11 minutes). I'm still not sure how we did it, and you're right - it's crazy to think that UConn would have otherwise had a 140+ game winning streak but for Tara.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Bruno's coaching against UConn today impressive so far? I can't tell. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That game was probably one of Tara's all-time masterpieces. We had no business winning that game, even playing at home. UConn's lineup had 6 future WNBA players to Stanford's 1(ish - Erica McCall, who played all of 11 minutes). I'm still not sure how we did it, and you're right - it's crazy to think that UConn would have otherwise had a 140+ game winning streak but for Tara.

It was a great game. Worth noting, it was extremely early in the year so UCONN was still working out a lot of kinks, ex. Chong started over Nurse, but Stanford had no business winning that game. Gave me false hope that people could compete with UCONN that season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Announcers with a minute and a half left, "three stops. Can you give me three stops"

Next 3 possessions, give up 2 layups and a wide open 3. Now they're down by 26 at halftime.

Reaction Score
I first saw Kim Mulkey when she was the point guard for the Ncaa champion Louisianan Tech team and I still think she is one of the premier point guards. She wanted to coach at Tech but Leon Barmore was entrenched so she wound up at Baylor. Prior to her arrival Baylor was known for one thing - football. She has changed the conversation and I believe it is fair to say she is the person most responsible for the rise of the program. And right now they ain't too bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom