Points and Awe Against Rutgers [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Points and Awe Against Rutgers [merged thread]

What Will Be The Margin of Victory For UConn Tonight.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Geno has said this a thousand times and I know this, any team that comes in and is in awe is down by 20 points right from the beginning," said coach C. Vivian Stringer. "He knows that we don't come in awe. We might be down at some particular point, but it's not because we are in awe of UConn." [LINK]

I don’t know, does that fact that she is discussing this at all reveal the opposite? I think it does.

So, what will be the margin of victory for UConn tonight?

Poll closes at 9:15 p.m.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
"Geno has said this a thousand times and I know this, any team that comes in and is in awe is down by 20 points right from the beginning," said coach C. Vivian Stringer. "He knows that we don't come in awe. We might be down at some particular point, but it's not because we are in awe of UConn." [LINK]

I don’t know, does that fact that she is discussing this at all reveal the opposite? I think it does.

So, what will be the margin of victory for UConn tonight?

Poll closes at 9:15 p.m.
Actually, Geno has said, I think more than once, that the "awe" is not Rutgers problem. Based on his remark, I would suggest he simply thought that, in general, we just were not good enough most years. I don't know where the quote is / was, but it was considered, at the time, a rare compliment by Geno and taken much to heart by RU fans. Vivian is just "throwing it back" if you will, along with Geno's well known more general remark.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I see no reason for this game to be much different from other recent outings. About a 30 point win. I'll say UCONN 86-54. I'll shave a few points off what we usually put up because of the defensive physicality. Number could fluctuate depending on how those whistles blow and how many times we get to the line.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Apologies to Javaman. I didn't see your "point spread" poll before I started this.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
image.png

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
..."We might be down at some particular point, but it's not because we are in awe of UConn." [LINK]

does that fact that she is discussing this at all reveal the opposite?

-Java, man I haven’t had any coffee yet, but I’d say “No,” if carefully addressing exactly the way you formed this question. I also think it’s a good question, since we see similar comments from opposing coaches, players, and press.

- That is, specifically “No, not necessarily;” she may be once again merely responding to direct press questions along this very frequent theme of ESPN writers, pregame/postgame 'pressers,' the UConn press horde (not to mention evolving (sorry) into a primal chant now of ESPN [& SNY] TV color commentators). So I’d say we just don’t/won’t know unless we later see video or a transcript of questions from this particular interview/press conference. However, lacking that transcript, I’d also argue there’s no evidence Coach S indeed may not have brought up the topic on all her own. We just don’t know, based on this article.

- OK, hope that wasn't too much of a grind. Don’t wanna stir things up. Always good seeing your big mug here, Java

Expresso patronum,
Arty

Last edited:
Reaction Score
... OK, hope that wasn't too much of a grind. Don’t wanna stir things up. Always good seeing your big mug here, Java

Expresso patronum,
Arty
Okay, I'm getting the hang of this...it worked. :cool: So, actually I pretty much agree with your analysis.

Grind, expresso, mug? You definitely need your coffee. But, as I've said before, go easy! You can see what it's done to me. Oh, and thanks for the flowers. :)

Reaction Score
Scarlet has arrived!

We have one picking Rutgers to win. Very interesting. :eek:

But it's not too late ...votes are allowed to be changed.

Reaction Score
Wow! Coach Stringer will by contract receive a $500,000 bonus if RU beats UConn tonight. Prior to tipoff, I strongly suggest keeping all C.Vivian Stringer family members, assistants, New Brunswickians, and fifth column subversives far far far away from our girls' locker room, water coolers, headphones, towels, etc.

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm getting the hang of this...it worked. :cool: So, actually I pretty much agree with your analysis.

Grind, expresso, mug? You definitely need your coffee. But, as I've said before, go easy! You can see what it's done to me. Oh, and thanks for the flowers. :)
Yes Javaman, I see that your hair has all fallen out from the stress.:D

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I ALWAYS worry about the safety of our players when we play Rutgers. I hope the officiating is on top of EVERY play tonight!

Amen to THAT.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn 85:66 Rutger
Geno has been cordial and will be easy on Rutger

Your final score prediction may be spot on, but I doubt Geno is going to be easy on Rutgers and there are good reasons not to be. First, the little snippet of Geno they keep running in the promo with the other coaches - we want to win in such a way, etc. Second, the truth behind that is you want to give the next opponent, if lucky enough to have one, no reason for encouragement. I think Geno wants to take this team through this tournament like Sherman through Georgia. He won't be a jerk about the end of the game, but he won't detune this team out of courtesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom