Plus/minus stats | The Boneyard

Plus/minus stats

Reaction Score
Can someone share season-to-date individual plus/minus stats? Couldn't find 'em via the Google thing... TIA!

Reaction Score
there's better stats out there. not sure +/- has any value.

Reaction Score
there's better stats out there. not sure +/- has any value.
With all due respect I totally disagree and could argue that +/- is perhaps THE most important statistic. The game is about the score. I want guys that help the good guys outscore their opponents when they are on the floor.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
With all due respect I totally disagree and could argue that +/- is perhaps THE most important statistic. The game is about the score. I want guys that help the good guys outscore their opponents when they are on the floor.

My opinion - standard +/- totally eschews context. There are four other players on the court that are having an impact on that metric. Does Kevon Looney having a +22 mean anything if he misses all his field goal attempts and doesn’t grab any rebounds, but Steph Curry hits 11 three-pointers that game? To me it’s like the RBI in baseball. Relies way too much on the results of other players to be a meaningful representation of a single player’s impact on the game.

Reaction Score
I asked because it was in the box score (on the Score app) for the Seton Hall game and it made me pause when I looked at the UConn plus/minuses. Adams was a -11, Carlton was a -10, Cole a -7. The only positives were Jackson at +7 and Gaffney at +4.

I'm a believer in longitudinal +/- as a semi-important stat - certainly over an 80-game season in the NBA. Not to compare specific players on different teams, but rather within a team's roster.

That said, for at least this one game it seemed accurate as to how the game played out on the floor for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
My opinion - standard +/- totally eschews context. There are four other players on the court that are having an impact on that metric. Does Kevon Looney having a +22 mean anything if he misses all his field goal attempts and doesn’t grab any rebounds, but Steph Curry hits 11 three-pointers that game? To me it’s like the RBI in baseball. Relies way too much on the results of other players to be a meaningful representation of a single player’s impact on the game.
I would expect +/- to correlate with player quality, but with a large standard deviation. There are other, better metrics with a smaller variance.

Reaction Score
I asked because it was in the box score (on the Score app) for the Seton Hall game and it made me pause when I looked at the UConn plus/minuses. Adams was a -11, Carlton was a -10, Cole a -7. The only positives were Jackson at +7 and Gaffney at +4.

I'm a believer in longitudinal +/- as a semi-important stat - certainly over an 80-game season in the NBA. Not to compare specific players on different teams, but rather within a team's roster.

That said, for at least this one game it seemed accurate as to how the game played out on the floor for 40 minutes.
I rest my case

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would expect +/- to correlate with player quality, but with a large standard deviation. There are other, better metrics with a smaller variance.

Yes. I would like to see our stats. Polley for example, I expect to be a huge plus in maybe two games, neutral in one, and significantly minus in all the rest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom