Plead Guilty or Not Guilty? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Plead Guilty or Not Guilty?

Reaction Score
Now that I have your attention...

On Friday, I was pulled over on I-84 E going 79 on a stretch of the road just west of Newburgh, NY where the speed limit switches from 65 to 55.

I was driving along with traffic, staying on the left lane, but not passing anyone on the right lane. Literally, just bad luck: I guess, the cop could have pulled over his pick of 50 other cars that passed him at the same speed or faster within the 30 seconds the radar got me.

Anywho, it's been a while since my last ticket. Should I simply plead guilty and accept the fine/upcharge of car insurance, etc, or should I feel lucky by pleading not guilty and seeing what happens?

Reaction Score
Recently pulled over clocked at 85 on 91N near Windsor. Trooper didn't want to hear what I had to say so I plead not guilty online with explanation and they came back with an offer after a few weeks that I accepted. I could have rejected it again and took my chances but they changed the charge and cut the fee from $300 plus to under $150. No going to court involved.

Reaction Score
Recently pulled over clocked at 85 on 91N near Windsor. Trooper didn't want to hear what I had to say so I plead not guilty online with explanation and they came back with an offer after a few weeks that I accepted. I could have rejected it again and took my chances but they changed the charge and cut the fee from $300 plus to under $150. No going to court involved.
What was your explanation?

Reaction Score

On Friday, I was pulled over on I-84 E going 79 on a stretch of the road just west of Newburgh, NY where the speed limit switches from 65 to 55.

I was driving along with traffic, staying on the left lane, but not passing anyone on the right lane. Literally, just bad luck: I guess, the cop could have pulled over his pick of 50 other cars that passed him at the same speed or faster within the 30 seconds the radar got me.

Anywho, it's been a while since my last ticket. Should I simply plead guilty and accept the fine/upcharge of car insurance, etc, or should I feel lucky by pleading not guilty and seeing what happens?
This comes down to time.

You can plead. It guilty. then go to court and see if they will halve your fine. Some days they are in a good mood. Others aren’t.

I got a $350 ticket pleaded down to $75. I just was honest.

Prosecutor was like”radar for you going 87 mph in a 55. Why did you plead not guilty?”

I said…I think the fine is too much. He laughed said $75 OK? I was like sure.

Reaction Score
Plead not guilty I have sucessfully had 2 speeding tickets appealed, I guarantee you the cop won’t show up.

The Waze app is a great thing to have btw. I almost always use it when going on the highway especially out of state. Always good to know at least a mile ahead of time if cops are ahead.

Reaction Score
All you guys going over 80 ought to pay double. You're also making way to many unsafe lane changes.
More like over 90, if you stay 80 the entire drive then okay people need to learn how to pick their spots and give themselves distance. When going in the 80s.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If your court date is changed it's likely because the officer has written several tickets, or will be in the court that day for another case. If so, don't count on the automatic dismissal. Ask that it be moved four days later (better chance the cop will be off duty).

Bring your paperwork, including the ticket, but be careful not to show it to anyone but the court, if asked. I've seen cops show up unprepared, ask the driver if he has the ticket.

Having a lawyer will usually get it knocked down. If you go without a lawyer, consider asking one who just won a case if he has time for you, and how much it would cost. Preferably one you've seen talking to the clerk and or court officers. Likely means the lawyer is there often, and friendly with court workers.

Most lawyers have several cases moved to the same date for efficiency, so lawyers sit and wait between cases. Actually, some court houses will put aside a day just for similar cases. Larger cities have courts just for traffic violations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just curious, were you using Waze at the time?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only other suggestion is they ah e heard every excuse in the book. I also have the MetLife legal plan now. If I get a ticket a lawyer will go in there for me and plead it.
In Kansas City this is the primary occupation of most new lawyers trying to run their own practice. It's a racket. Every county does it a different day, so you load up on clients and plead them to non-moving, which the DA charges more than the fine for. You bill the client about $50 flat (at least in the 90s, probably $100 now), but try to get 10 cases+. Keeps the lights on for some folks.

Reaction Score
If you are out of state and know that you will have a problem making the court date (logistics), does that make a difference when you plead not guilty?

Also because of the pandemic nowadays are such trials done via zoom, so your physical presence is not required?

Zoom trials would seem to be a no brainer, but physical requirements would seem a more complicated decision.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As many here have said - dont not plead guilty on any moving violation.
Call the court 2-3 days before and see if you can change the court day due to a family emergency. State trooper wont likely show up because they write most of their tickets on certain days and show up for court to hear them all on the appointed day of the hearings.
When/if you show up, tell the truth - say you were going with the flow of the traffic and cant understand why you were picked out - if folks were passing you - mention that. My best guess is that you didn't have a NY license plate is the reason he nabbed you.
Good luck

Reaction Score
Just mailed in the “plead not guilty” notice. I figure, I’m only an hour from Newburgh and Beacon is a pretty cool town that I could check out on my way home.
Hit the new taproom at Hudson Valley Brewery in downtown Beacon. Or… go the organic farm route and visit Ober Creek Brewing in Wappingers Falls. Both are 5-10 minutes off of 84. Both have fantastic pizza (via food truck partners).

Reaction Score
Hit the new taproom at Hudson Valley Brewery in downtown Beacon. Or… go the organic farm route and visit Ober Creek Brewing in Wappingers Falls. Both are 5-10 minutes off of 84. Both have fantastic pizza (via food truck partners).
Or drive a few miles west and go to Equilibrium in Middletown.

Reaction Score
80 is the new 60. I can barely drive my car under 80 on the highway and when I'm going 80 it seems everyone else is going at least 85. And I don't weave and make unsafe lane changes.
Hell when I go 90 I get tailgated, always slow the hell down when I’m at 90, it’s more dangerous to be driving in the 60s then 80s especially in the fast lane, pending on traffic, weather and age of course. Weavers should have a huge fine and jail time.

Reaction Score
Or drive a few miles west and go to Equilibrium in Middletown.
EQ’s slide toward IPA mediocrity came up in the beer thread about a year ago. Nothing memorable about their haze anymore. Their diabetes-inducing pastry stouts are still fantastic though!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is everywhere, but some states the ticket can be appealed in court.

Points may have to appeal at the registry or an appeal to the insurance company.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

Eat your underwear at the trial.

You’re welcome.
You ever see the movie training day and the story about the peanut butter? That’s actually true and a dude actually used it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
In Kansas City this is the primary occupation of most new lawyers trying to run their own practice. It's a racket. Every county does it a different day, so you load up on clients and plead them to non-moving, which the DA charges more than the fine for. You bill the client about $50 flat (at least in the 90s, probably $100 now), but try to get 10 cases+. Keeps the lights on for some folks.
You guys are American heroes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom